Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Is It Really Worth It?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mike48

Am nearing decision day. Do I go the window cleaning round,(WFP tops and trad lowers on residential property).Or do I play it safe and go for a mimimum wage job. Dont need to earn alot but still have to pay the bills.

Just need a it of a push. Let me know the pros and cons !!

Do I really need the hassel of the tax man and the form filling? What do you all think?

cheers. Mike

To be honest mike everyone will say window cleaning. For your minimum wage of £6 an hour you only need 1 house. Or 5-6 a day. Easy. Tax form is easy. I don't use an accountant I do it myself & takes me about half hour as long as you keep yer books neat all year round. I know what I would do.

As posh says, its a no brainer. The book work and tax returns arent too much bother or complicated. Who would want to be in paid employment at 6 or 7 pounds an hour with bosses breathing down your neck, targets to meet, office politics, corporate mantra, personnel and appraisal ****. You will also have to pay to get to work and back. Sounds soul destroying to me.

Both have advantages and disadvantages

When u got ya own business u got to look at ya overheads mate

Am wfp and to keep my business running i have to pay 300 insurance a month then 200 pound fuel a month then i gotta pay for my resin everymonth then if anything goes wrong with the van or equipment gotta pay that , so its a headache but at the same time im my own boss and i work wen i want and wer i want /emoticons/smile.png

With a normal job u got no worries etc

Depends wat u prefer /emoticons/smile.png

Is there particularly something that you would like to do Mike?

One major problem for me, I don't think I could take direction from anybody after being self employed

Am nearing decision day. Do I go the window cleaning round,(WFP tops and trad lowers on residential property).Or do I play it safe and go for a mimimum wage job. Dont need to earn alot but still have to pay the bills.Just need a it of a push. Let me know the pros and cons !!

Do I really need the hassel of the tax man and the form filling? What do you all think?

cheers. Mike
Yes it’s worth it, if you have a plan; probably not if you don’t have a plan.

Get an accountant, the cost is approximately £1 a day and will save you more money than it cost if you have any success.

If you are just starting out, you have a lot to learn – and if you don’t learn you can always fall back to the minimum wage job.

Good luck

Richard’

if you have kids being self employed is the way to go - never miss an event, pick em up ,drop em off sneak round & watch em playing sport lol. i've done labouring & factory jobs & there soul destroying, i cant begin to imagine what living on a minimum wage must be like long term. if you dont need a big wage you could be on 3 days a week & earning more than £6 a hr does in a week

Stick to being a window cleaner, but only if you absolutely love it and are passionate about what you do. If your having these doubts maybe its not for you.

Depends how quickly you could start earning money I suppose as a window cleaner.

You could probably get a job on min wage that would earn you approx £260 gross a week (40 hours) approx £13680 a year.

However the reality starting window cleaning could take you months to build up a decent round to even come close to that gross wage.

If you have no savings to fall back on then you would probably go into debt as would struggle financially in the first year.

So your choice I guess.

Yes it’s worth it, if you have a plan; probably not if you don’t have a plan.
Get an accountant, the cost is approximately £1 a day and will save you more money than it cost if you have any success.

If you are just starting out, you have a lot to learn – and if you don’t learn you can always fall back to the minimum wage job.

Good luck

Richard’
I honestly don't believe you need an accountant for a small window cleaning buisness like mine. If he saves you say £400 a year you pay him near enough that for him to tell you that. An accountant could not save me anymore money then I do. Big company yes but a small one no. Just my opionion.

I pay £250 per year for my van insurance but am no sprimg chicken and have an old but tidy 2001 berlingo van that I use for my work.

I pay £223 a year with free RAC cover. Autonetinsurance. 1996 1.7 Astra. No spring chicken either but not as old as smurf lol

Back