Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

A Dangerous Fool

WCF

Help Support WCF:

paul alan

I parked at a job I've been doing for years, the old fella from next door moaned at me a few months earlier about damage to the kerb and having "loads of trouble" where I was parked. I'm doing nothing wrong and I park where I park to get a straight run to the back of the house with the hose, it's not in anyone's way or "damaging the kerb" so I simply crack on.

I go to the back and the wife goes to the far side, when I got to the back I stopped on the corner and taking a few steps back I picked up the hose to pull another metre or so, the hose wouldn't budge! No reason for that as its a straight run, so I goes back to investigate.

I arrive back to the front of the house to find my wife saying to the old fella from next door " you cant do that, what have you done?" as I approach he says "you cant park here!" I explain its not on his property, it's a public road owned by the council and payed for by the tax payer, so we all have the right to use it.

The wife then points out that the system is not working, and she can smell "burnt metal". She goes on to point out that she's been pulled back round the corner by the reel, and she then saw the old fella playing with the controls. Obviously he's tried to switch the pumps off, but not knowing what's what he's turned the reels on.

He nearly pulled a £500 extreme pole out the wife's hand, he could have hurt her there, or caused damage to nearby property.

He then had the cheek to stand there and deny it, therefore calling my wife a liar. 

So this "man" decided that it wasn't fair for us to park "near" his property, but that it was fair for him to come and switch our reels on, with the consequence's that could of had, then stand on the hose by way of stopping as he couldn't work what he had done, which blew the fuse and fused the fuse holder shut. (I had to rewire it to bypass the knackered fuse which took half n hour as I didn't have wire with me so I had to make it up). then to top it all off denied what he had done and called my wife a liar.

This man was a 65 year old easily, he should know better by now! I think his behaviour was disgraceful, careless and un called for. Our customer had a few things to tell us about him too, some people hey!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a drive down the street to see if someone has cctv, if they do just ask politely if they could review it for you, if you come up with anything just send him a bill and if he doesn't pay send him a small claims court order for about £30...i don't say this to actually take him to court etc, merely to show him you are prepared to go to the extreme which might keep the grumpy ******* inside in the future... Why people have to interfere with **** that has nothing to do with them ill never know

Have a drive down the street to see if someone has cctv, if they do just ask politely if they could review it for you, if you come up with anything just send him a bill and if he doesn't pay send him a small claims court order for about £30...i don't say this to actually take him to court etc, merely to show him you are prepared to go to the extreme which might keep the grumpy ******* inside in the future... Why people have to interfere with **** that has nothing to do with them ill never know
 true. its like those nightmare neighbour progs tho, If you end up living next door to one, it can just make your life hell. Theres no rhyme nor reason to why some are like they are.

true. its like those nightmare neighbour progs tho, If you end up living next door to one, it can just make your life hell. Theres no rhyme nor reason to why some are like they are.
Take it from someone who has been in that position, its hell, many many years ago my mum lost all her hair, I kicked his door in and filled him in there and then on his own sofa and it made no difference, took six months and the council getting involved to have them evicted.... It was shear hell on earth ?

Take it from someone who has been in that position, its hell, many many years ago my mum lost all her hair, I kicked his door in and filled him in there and then on his own sofa and it made no difference, took six months and the council getting involved to have them evicted.... It was shear hell on earth ?
 Nightmare. The procedures seem to take forever to remedy anything. It can be hard to find your own bit of peace in this day and age.

Nightmare. The procedures seem to take forever to remedy anything. It can be hard to find your own bit of peace in this day and age.
English man's castle is his home as they say, just working hard to buy around 10 acres so I can have peace and quiet and home rescue animals

This is another reason why i like using backpacks. No worries about anybody pratting around in the back of the van. One fella on here had his hose sliced with scizzors by a lady a while back. I dont like the idea of hoses trailing from the van to the house at all, not only is it a trip hazard to the blind and infirm, its a real pain in the neck and costly in time and money should you encounter vandals like this. 
someones hose also got wrapped round a car wheel in a car park and they drove off it whipped the pole straight out of his hands. Think it may have been nudel i cant quite remember.

i dont envy you guys with van systems honestly. Sorry to hear about your bad day. What dont kill you, makes you stronger. 

I certainly wouldn’t put up with that I would report it as assault, one of the guys who works for me is a real hard case weighs 25 stone you would take one look at him and think I won’t mess with him , he was assaulted by an oap in a shelter housing block of flats that we clean , this has been an ongoing issue and the third time it’s happened, I have now reported it to the company responsible for the building the woman has been interviewed by the police and is now being evicted she has a court order against her that she isn’t allowed with in 100 meters of us , I took this action not beacause she could harm either of us but both me as an employer and my employee have a right to be in our work place without being assaulted the courts and the company have taken the situation very seriously 

I certainly wouldn’t put up with that I would report it as assault, one of the guys who works for me is a real hard case weighs 25 stone you would take one look at him and think I won’t mess with him , he was assaulted by an oap in a shelter housing block of flats that we clean , this has been an ongoing issue and the third time it’s happened, I have now reported it to the company responsible for the building the woman has been interviewed by the police and is now being evicted she has a court order against her that she isn’t allowed with in 100 meters of us , I took this action not beacause she could harm either of us but both me as an employer and my employee have a right to be in our work place without being assaulted the courts and the company have taken the situation very seriously 
Almost all cases of aggressive neighbors i have encountered have involved flats or multi occupancy dwellings. 
I sacked off upper floor flats due to abuse from ground floor or middle floor neighbors.

We were cleaning one property and were threatened by the couple in the ground floor below, a lady of an advanced age and a man (not exactly a young un himself) who i believe was her son. I had to tell the lady we were working for we could no longer continue with window cleaning due to the aggression from ground floor neighbors. She said she completely understands and living above them was hell. Any time they needed work done they made life hard for the trades involved. They threatened the decorator, made life hard for the removals guys when they needed to take the upstairs window out to get a sofa in, she said She has had to call the police on a number of occasions. You dont appreciate the true value of having decent neighbors until you see what some unfortunate people have to put up with living next to.

Almost all cases of aggressive neighbors i have encountered have involved flats or multi occupancy dwellings. 
I sacked off upper floor flats due to abuse from ground floor or middle floor neighbors.

We were cleaning one property and were threatened by the couple in the ground floor below, a lady of an advanced age and a man (not exactly a a young un himself) who i believe was her son. I had to tell the lady we were working for we could no longer continue with window cleaning due to the aggression from ground floor neighbors. She said she completely understands and living above them was hell. Any time they needed work done they made life hard for the trades involved. They threatened the decorator, made life hard for the removals guys when they needed to take the upstairs window out to get a sofa in, she said She has had to call the police on a number of occasions. You dont appreciate the true value of having decent neighbors until you see what some unfortunate people have to put up with living next to.
 I lived in a block for many years, was a pain at times. The floors and walls dividing individual flats were useless and you could hear everything. Mind you, I was guilty of loud partying etc too, but most of my neighbours were joining in. Worst time, next door I heard 'police , open up' and they bust his door in, pretending it was a drug bust, in reality it was masked blokes robbing him. They done it twice. We gave him a pitchfork and showed him how to set his armchair up so the door couldnt be forced in. But yeh, flats can be terrible. We dont have much space to ourselves often nowdays. Some of my customers when im in their gardens, I think wow, if only.

We were cleaning one property and were threatened by the couple in the ground floor below, a lady of an advanced age and a man (not exactly a young un himself) who i believe was her son. I had to tell the lady we were working for we could no longer continue with window cleaning due to the aggression from ground floor neighbors. She said she completely understands and living above them was hell. Any time they needed work done they made life hard for the trades involved. They threatened the decorator, made life hard for the removals guys when they needed to take the upstairs window out to get a sofa in, she said She has had to call the police on a number of occasions. You dont appreciate the true value of having decent neighbors until you see what some unfortunate people have to put up with living next to.

The company that owners theses flats is one of the largest companies in the uk I cannot name them on an open forum but the contract we have with them has been running for over 15 years the residents each pay a fee for the window cleaning , we do dozens of blocks of flats over the country for them , they have really taken this situation seriously , they were the ones who originally reported it to the police , the woman is being evicted , but due to her age it’s going to take time , so we still see her each visit should there be any further contact with us and she comes with in 100 meters she will be arrested being in breach of a restraining order , all this has been recorded on cctv so she cannot denigh it has happened she also assaulted my guy in the managers offfice in front of the manager and other staff , and no she isn’t suffering from dementia, just an evil old woman .

I had a badexperience with a flat below a customer of mine, I had to dump it, the woman when she didn't get her own way started to make damaging claims. I felt so lucky there were others present.

She could have ruined my business and left me broke for all she cared, all because things didn't go how she would have liked. SHOCKING!

theres no way id put up with that paul.....id grab him down the side of his own house out of sight of any neighbours,etc...make sure he has no CCTV either(arm up the back or grab him round the throat)and give him a serious warning.....trust me he wouldnt bother you again.....people like that need teaching a lesson the old fashioned way....

Luckliy i havent had anything like that when working......they wouldnt dare.......?

Really bad that, just remember though to keep a cool head.  People like that are not worth risking your reputation or your livelihood over.  We would all love to do what Dazmond says but let's say the guy had a heart attack and died you would then be up for manslaughter, it's just not worth it.    

Best thing to do would be to make a formal complaint to the police, get the police knocking on his door asking questions, he wouldn't like that.  At the end of the day what he did is against the law, he has damaged your property so you're fully entitled to contact the police and let them deal with it.

Really bad crack @paul alan hope you both aren't to shook up, no need for it all, some people think they own a street, we moved house because of an ongoing incident and nightmare neighbours some years ago. 

I prefer to have my van doors locked, so no one can see or access anything whilst I am away from it, which can be anything from 5 minutes up to 2 hours

English man's castle is his home as they say, just working hard to buy around 10 acres so I can have peace and quiet and home rescue animals
As soon as I read this I was looking at land for sale ? £25,000 for just over 2 acres not to far from me, but further afield £30,000 for over 5 acres 

Latest Posts

Back