Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hi all, all guidance is very appreciated

WCF

Help Support WCF:

One-Skin

Hi everyone, 

Spent most of my life working in different jobs varying from electronics, scaffolding, shuttering/form worker, now years later I chose to go back into electronics as a ‘break’ from the heavy duty scaffolding and shuttering - BUT I’M BORED, bored of sitting on a chair for hours a day in the dry, bored of getting fatter by the hour, bored of working my rear end off for someone who doesn’t even know my name ..

I became interested in window cleaning purely by chance.
After trying and failing to clear my gutters (I live on a serious hill haha) I YouTube’d tips and help which is where I found a fella speaking well about this Gutter Vac, I purchased one to clean my own out, and whilst doing the job I was very surprised how much I enjoyed doing the work.. which led me to advertise Gutter Clearing as a way to earn back the £700 I spent on the Atom Vac.
The customers were plentiful, I earned back the money I had spent within 5-6weeks, considering I work 55+ hours most weeks in my day to day job, I thought I’d done fairly well to earn that money back on Saturdays (1pm-4pm) and 1 Sunday, I never charged more than £40 which was my first ever gutter clean job, it was a fair size and access was terrible... took me 3 hours ? but again... I enjoyed doing it.

All this led me to keep following that guys channel who is mainly a window cleaner I think, (A.E.McIntosh the fellas name is) I kept following his channel whilst he transitioned from Trad to WFP and that was the first time I’d ever seen WFP and knew almost instantly it is something I would enjoy and be damn good at ! 

I’ve been lurking on these forums for a while without posting, I’ve read the amount of help and guidance you’ve all given to others - new and not so new..

Please be gentle with me if I ask things that sound ridiculous, just remember I’m a dumb (former) scaffolder with feelings too ? 

So, 2020 is the year i refused to waste the rest of my life working for companies that don’t care about you and do something for myself. 

Now I’m ready to buy a van with setup .. OR do I buy just the van and install myself Which’ll give me better understanding of the ins and outs of everything ? 

I like the 2014+ LWB transit connect which I’ve also seen some people’s setups on eBay etc which look smart and professional but would they be big enough with a 500ltr tank setup to also be able to fit in my gutter vac etc etc ? 

Forgot to Thank you all for any sort of advice you’d be willing to throw at me. 

I’m not driven by monetary gains, I’m driven by health, the want for a clear, focused mind, and a thirst for learning .. cheesy I guess, but very true. 

This question is asked many times a day. If you look on the search box you will find all the answers to your questions. 
Keep reading and you will be fully informed.

Hi everyone, 

Spent most of my life working in different jobs varying from electronics, scaffolding, shuttering/form worker, now years later I chose to go back into electronics as a ‘break’ from the heavy duty scaffolding and shuttering - BUT I’M BORED, bored of sitting on a chair for hours a day in the dry, bored of getting fatter by the hour, bored of working my rear end off for someone who doesn’t even know my name ..

I became interested in window cleaning purely by chance.
After trying and failing to clear my gutters (I live on a serious hill haha) I YouTube’d tips and help which is where I found a fella speaking well about this Gutter Vac, I purchased one to clean my own out, and whilst doing the job I was very surprised how much I enjoyed doing the work.. which led me to advertise Gutter Clearing as a way to earn back the £700 I spent on the Atom Vac.
The customers were plentiful, I earned back the money I had spent within 5-6weeks, considering I work 55+ hours most weeks in my day to day job, I thought I’d done fairly well to earn that money back on Saturdays (1pm-4pm) and 1 Sunday, I never charged more than £40 which was my first ever gutter clean job, it was a fair size and access was terrible... took me 3 hours ? but again... I enjoyed doing it.

All this led me to keep following that guys channel who is mainly a window cleaner I think, (A.E.McIntosh the fellas name is) I kept following his channel whilst he transitioned from Trad to WFP and that was the first time I’d ever seen WFP and knew almost instantly it is something I would enjoy and be damn good at ! 

I’ve been lurking on these forums for a while without posting, I’ve read the amount of help and guidance you’ve all given to others - new and not so new..

Please be gentle with me if I ask things that sound ridiculous, just remember I’m a dumb (former) scaffolder with feelings too ? 

So, 2020 is the year i refused to waste the rest of my life working for companies that don’t care about you and do something for myself. 

Now I’m ready to buy a van with setup .. OR do I buy just the van and install myself Which’ll give me better understanding of the ins and outs of everything ? 

I like the 2014+ LWB transit connect which I’ve also seen some people’s setups on eBay etc which look smart and professional but would they be big enough with a 500ltr tank setup to also be able to fit in my gutter vac etc etc ? 
Nice one, sounds like you've got your feet wet. Now you are confident with the gutter vac I'd say you should charge quite a bit more than it sounds like you have being doing. I've not yet invested in a gutter vac but even on ladders (only for gutters) I still aim  to earn considerably more than windows otherwise it's just not worth it, being at gutter level compared to being on the ground is a much bigger risk!

I can't really advise on vans (just asked about that on another thread actually) however I guess it's good to buy the best you can get. If you are not struggling financially then nothing wrong with getting a built system however I don't really see the point - it's not particularly difficult to DIY. Good luck

It all comes down to your budget. I knew nothing of window cleaning 2yrs ago until I came on this forum. Last year I jumped into wfp by getting a tank system installed because I didn't know how to do it. Was it worth it, not really at the time because it cost thousands and I had no training on wfp. Upset a lot of my customers when I used a dirty brush. Now Grippatank sorted out all my teething problems and changed my stack lay out. I would now say its the best thing I have done in window cleaning because I can tackle anything now. Its handy if you know someone who has a system installed and they can give you a walk round explaining it. You can also watch videos on utube to get the gist of it. Good luck

First off, welcome.

Sounds like you've got your mind made up so go for it. But there's much more to this business than simply cleaning windows. Do you have a relatively thick skin? Because dealing with the public can be frustrating to say the least. Does the area you live in have many window cleaners? If so, you will be doing quite a bit travelling between jobs which means not making money. Plenty of questions like this to ask yourself and think about.

Regarding the setup, are you quite handy? I have a feeling you are so you may be inclined to go down the DIY route. On the other hand, I have a feeling you have money. If you do have plenty of dosh, maybe look at getting a good van and taking it to a company to get a pre-built system ready to go. Plenty of reading on here to compare all the different ones.

At the very beginning though, buy yourself a TDS meter to get an idea of how dirty your tap water is. Anymore specific questions just ask.

Nice one, sounds like you've got your feet wet. Now you are confident with the gutter vac I'd say you should charge quite a bit more than it sounds like you have being doing. I've not yet invested in a gutter vac but even on ladders (only for gutters) I still aim  to earn considerably more than windows otherwise it's just not worth it, being at gutter level compared to being on the ground is a much bigger risk!

I can't really advise on vans (just asked about that on another thread actually) however I guess it's good to buy the best you can get. If you are not struggling financially then nothing wrong with getting a built system however I don't really see the point - it's not particularly difficult to DIY. Good luck
In all honesty I was quite scared when it came to quoting a price, it came to the point where before I’d even seen the job I’d have a Set price in my head - £15 for a front or back length of gutter £25 for front and back - I honestly thought the area I live in (not the wealthiest) dictated what I should be charging PLUS I was lumping it around in my scirocco which didn’t look professional at all .. which bothered me haha

It all comes down to your budget. I knew nothing of window cleaning 2yrs ago until I came on this forum. Last year I jumped into wfp by getting a tank system installed because I didn't know how to do it. Was it worth it, not really at the time because it cost thousands and I had no training on wfp. Upset a lot of my customers when I used a dirty brush. Now Grippatank sorted out all my teething problems and changed my stack lay out. I would now say its the best thing I have done in window cleaning because I can tackle anything now. Its handy if you know someone who has a system installed and they can give you a walk round explaining it. You can also watch videos on utube to get the gist of it. Good luck
Hi pal, since I decided to give it a shot I’ve been trawling the YouTube videos non stop, I was never much of a YouTubed before but now I’ve found myself setting up notifications for when the WFP lads upload a new video ?

green pro clean

AN lifestyle 

A.E.McIntosh

i also found a young fella Kye Horton (maybe??) who video’d virtually right from the start and then continued to upload his progression .. inspiring to watch. 

There is a guy who lives relatively near me who installs setups in his spare time - he also offers training courses which interests me.. every little helps I guess. 

But your starting out situation with the setup and installation is something I hope to avoid, I want to get it on the button first time around, that’s why DIY seems the proper route to go. 

Do you mind me asking what van and setup you have ? Would you have a few photos for me by any chance - I love seeing others setups but can’t find much on YouTube regarding it 

Thank you ?

First off, welcome.

Sounds like you've got your mind made up so go for it. But there's much more to this business than simply cleaning windows. Do you have a relatively thick skin? Because dealing with the public can be frustrating to say the least. Does the area you live in have many window cleaners? If so, you will be doing quite a bit travelling between jobs which means not making money. Plenty of questions like this to ask yourself and think about.

Regarding the setup, are you quite handy? I have a feeling you are so you may be inclined to go down the DIY route. On the other hand, I have a feeling you have money. If you do have plenty of dosh, maybe look at getting a good van and taking it to a company to get a pre-built system ready to go. Plenty of reading on here to compare all the different ones.

At the very beginning though, buy yourself a TDS meter to get an idea of how dirty your tap water is. Anymore specific questions just ask.
Good morning bud. 

I do have a thick skin, I also have a few years experience of customer facing roles, scaffolding was particularly eyebrow raising at times - pulling up outside a job someone booked weeks ago for that specific date and time only for them to say would you come back in 2 hours to take it back down .. ‘no love it doesn’t work like that’ ...

“sorry but we’re very busy, we could squeeze you in tomorrow first thing...?”

”ahh that’s ok I’ll cancel the job in that case ...” 

People are curious things, most can’t seem to think about the planning and preparation that goes into things outside of their own bubble ? 

A quick google search brings up maybe 12 window cleaners in a 15 mile vicinity, I started from the top and started ringing them the top 3 answered within a few rings whereas the other 9 haven’t answered at all, I’ve rang back a number of times, nothing. I’ve searched Facebook marketplace and I’ve found maybe 2/3 offering their services. 

I’m situated almost exactly half way in between Cardiff and Newport, big places I absolutely am going to to target, I currently work in Newport and 8 of the people in work are already waiting for me start cleaning theirs for them. 8 isn’t a lot but it’s a starting platform, they also live in nice areas which I will knock every single door in the area afterwards - there is also a pure water depot in Newport (or there will be very soon) which I’ve been in touch with and I’m sure the price was around £15-£18 to fill a 500ltr tank, tbh I wouldn’t want to start out filling up at depots but it’s handy if needed. 

The water in my area is 55, I’ve not checked it personally but a mate of mine who is a car detailer said he’d checked and his word is usually gold - I will look into it myself though. 

I am handy to an extent, I’ll put my hand to anything, but would rather it be setup properly ONLY because I’ve never seen an install being done. My brother is a plumber who said he’d help with things like that if need be, ... I’ve read into securing things a little bit, baffled tanks, cages, straps, replacing fixings for bolts and spreader plates .. it all seems quite a lot to take in which is why I’d love to get a van with a professional looking setup already installed to avoid all the faff. 

The budget I’ve set myself is £7k-£8k for a nice van hopefully with setup, excluding poles and brush heads as I’ve already bought 2 of each (1 for cleaning soffits, gutters and cladding etc and 1 for cleaning windows) ((is that enough ?)) 

the money comes from my down payment for a house savings which has taken me a number of years to save, I’m also in the process of selling my car for extra funds - I’m putting almost everything into giving this a shot which is why I want to get it right from the off.. as does every other person starting anything ? 

Apologies for the wall of text &

Thank you for your help 

Do you mind me asking what van and setup you have ? Would you have a few photos for me by any chance - I love seeing others setups but can’t find much on YouTube regarding it 

I went with the Grippatank hot water system. Pretty expensive but worth every penny now everything has been sorted out. I posted a photo on old posts or go on my website scottishcleaningservice.com where you should find a picture of it. I make £700 a month window cleaning so it will take me a year to pay it off but I am getting new work every month and I can tackle all jobs now with the wfp.

I went with the Grippatank hot water system. Pretty expensive but worth every penny now everything has been sorted out. I posted a photo on old posts or go on my website scottishcleaningservice.com where you should find a picture of it. I make £700 a month window cleaning so it will take me a year to pay it off but I am getting new work every month and I can tackle all jobs now with the wfp.
Now, I’ve read a few people on here swear by the hot water systems and I think it’s something I’d like in the future! 
Is it a dual flow where you can swap to cold or hot whenever you like ? 

Now, I’ve read a few people on here swear by the hot water systems and I think it’s something I’d like in the future! 

Mine is a Webasto diesel heater that works just like an electric shower but you can fit a thermostat and heat the whole tank with electricity.

If I were you, I wouldn't bother with a hot water system to start. Nothing wrong with upgrading in the future. That money IMO would be better spent by purchasing a small round and then going from there. I did quite a bit of facebook advertising in Cardiff and surrounding areas when I was down there for a bit, not sure why but my results were so much better than the same ads in Leeds.

If I were you, I wouldn't bother with a hot water system to start. Nothing wrong with upgrading in the future. That money IMO would be better spent by purchasing a small round and then going from there. I did quite a bit of facebook advertising in Cardiff and surrounding areas when I was down there for a bit, not sure why but my results were so much better than the same ads in Leeds.
This is very good to hear Josh, I’m glad advertising worked for you in my area. 

I won’t be going for heated system from the off, no sir, the systems themselves are enough for me to get my head around ? 

Few days off work this week so I was just out with dog and saw 2 fellas doing a local boozer WFP - i wasn’t going to ask but he went to his van for something so I crossed and I asked politely if he wouldn’t mind showing me his setup as I was interested in setting one up and he looked at me as if I had just kicked sand in his chips ?? ?  
I smiled and said please, he walked away and that was that. Moody petal ! 

What am I missing ? Is it an unwritten rule in the WFP business not to ask to look at their system ?? 

This is very good to hear Josh, I’m glad advertising worked for you in my area. 

I won’t be going for heated system from the off, no sir, the systems themselves are enough for me to get my head around ? 

Few days off work this week so I was just out with dog and saw 2 fellas doing a local boozer WFP - i wasn’t going to ask but he went to his van for something so I crossed and I asked politely if he wouldn’t mind showing me his setup as I was interested in setting one up and he looked at me as if I had just kicked sand in his chips ?? ?  
I smiled and said please, he walked away and that was that. Moody petal ! 

What am I missing ? Is it an unwritten rule in the WFP business not to ask to look at their system ?? 

some view anyone else as a threat , and don’t want others being after the same customers that they have , ime more than happy to show ones my vans but obviously not keen to shoot myself in the foot with ones in the same town as myself , we are that well established I probably could and doubt it would affect my business, I find some other cleaners will stop and talk others won’t I just think it’s pathetic acting that way they arnt going to get my customers and ime not interested in there’s but some are like cave men ???  

some view anyone else as a threat , and don’t want others being after the same customers that they have , ime more than happy to show ones my vans but obviously not keen to shoot myself in the foot with ones in the same town as myself , we are that well established I probably could and doubt it would affect my business, I find some other cleaners will stop and talk others won’t I just think it’s pathetic acting that way they arnt going to get my customers and ime not interested in there’s but some are like cave men ???  
Ahhh, now, I didn’t think of him being threatened business wise - now the look he gave me makes so much more sense hahaha what a vagina of a bloke.. but, understandable 

He could have been wary too. You must remember these days there are some dodgy folk. I had two rough looking lads wanting to look in the back of my van, I didn’t feel threatened by work, but I said no. I didn’t trust them. In fact one of my customers came out to check I was ok. He thought the same thing as me. They then drove off, five minutes later they were back. Well dodgy. Maybe you should have chatted a bit first, let him get to know you a bit. At the end of the day, if you were sat in your car and someone knocked on the window and asked to look inside, I bet you wouldn’t just open the door and say yes mate feel free, questions for thought?

He could have been wary too. You must remember these days there are some dodgy folk. I had two rough looking lads wanting to look in the back of my van, I didn’t feel threatened by work, but I said no. I didn’t trust them. In fact one of my customers came out to check I was ok. He thought the same thing as me. They then drove off, five minutes later they were back. Well dodgy. Maybe you should have chatted a bit first, let him get to know you a bit. At the end of the day, if you were sat in your car and someone knocked on the window and asked to look inside, I bet you wouldn’t just open the door and say yes mate feel free, questions for thought?

Yes they could be wanting to see what’s in it to break in and steal later it always pays to be careful 

Another fair point you’ve made. I should say that I didn’t approach abruptly and we acknowledged each other in a friendly manner which led me to believe it would be fine - it was soo not fine ?, but I was wearing Mules, shorts and T-shirt when it wasn’t exactly warm out ...

point taken, my mistake ? ? 

Another fair point you’ve made. I should say that I didn’t approach abruptly and we acknowledged each other in a friendly manner which led me to believe it would be fine - it was soo not fine ?, but I was wearing Mules, shorts and T-shirt when it wasn’t exactly warm out ...

point taken, my mistake ? ? 
Not crocks i hope???. 
hey joking aside, it will work out for you. You’ll get chatting to someone and they will help you. It is daunting at first, I bet if you asked on here someone close to you would let you look at their set up. I was fortunate I had a lot of help from window cleaning friends and r Spruce etc on here. 

Latest Posts

Back