Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Early days but going well!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

bryyy2104

Just wanted to give an update, which might encourage a few others in the early days of setting up their round...

I started off 4 months ago, doing WFP out of the back of my Fiesta. I had 6-8 barrels in the back, and the hose reel placed in the boot. (Seats down) I had put a pump and flow controller on a small panel of wood, and this would sit in the front passenger footwell against the seat, whilst my leisure battery was under the glove box. I had removed the front passenger headrest so my pole could sit over the top of the passenger chair. (I put two small metal rods in the headrest holes to keep the pole and brush in place).

Now I know many newbies have taken the back-pack route, which I think is an excellent way of doing things, but I wanted to build a system that would transfer over to a van fairly easily. I got the idea from a YouTube video by AEMackintosh where he interviews a young lad starting out who did a similar thing from his VW Polo.

The setup actually worked fairly well, even though it was a faff at times. As most of my early cleans were first time cleans, they would take quite a while, and quite often I'd have to stop round the back of a house, to come round transfer the end of the hose into a fresh barrel, then go back to finish the clean. I also would have a few pressure problems with my flow going up and down for reasons I didn't always understand.

After about 6 weeks of this I decided to take the plunge, commit fully and go and buy a van. So I've bought a small Vauxhall Combo, put a 350 ltr tank in the back (framed and bolted, I didn't want to take any risks), and transferred the rest over reasonably easy. It took a couple of long afternoons, and I'm still tweaking things, but I'm up and running.

The thing I'm enjoying now is having a decent working setup, and doing my second and third cleans. I did get a bit down sometimes, doing 5 or 6 first time cleans in a day, and then reading on the forums about ones doing 200 to 300 quid a day. After a bit more reading tho, I know it will take 2 or 3 years and a lot more work to get to this point.

Anyway, I've spent many hours reading on the forums and gained so much knowledge along the way. It's also given me a boost when I've felt a bit fed up or doubtful whether I can make this work. So thank you to many of you for all your posts, it's really helped me! Hopefully someone might read this and decide to keep pushing to get up and running.

Any questions, pls feel free to ask...

Cheers all.

Just wanted to give an update, which might encourage a few others in the early days of setting up their round...

I started off 4 months ago, doing WFP out of the back of my Fiesta. I had 6-8 barrels in the back, and the hose reel placed in the boot. (Seats down) I had put a pump and flow controller on a small panel of wood, and this would sit in the front passenger footwell against the seat, whilst my leisure battery was under the glove box. I had removed the front passenger headrest so my pole could sit over the top of the passenger chair. (I put two small metal rods in the headrest holes to keep the pole and brush in place).

Now I know many newbies have taken the back-pack route, which I think is an excellent way of doing things, but I wanted to build a system that would transfer over to a van fairly easily. I got the idea from a YouTube video by AEMackintosh where he interviews a young lad starting out who did a similar thing from his VW Polo.

The setup actually worked fairly well, even though it was a faff at times. As most of my early cleans were first time cleans, they would take quite a while, and quite often I'd have to stop round the back of a house, to come round transfer the end of the hose into a fresh barrel, then go back to finish the clean. I also would have a few pressure problems with my flow going up and down for reasons I didn't always understand.

After about 6 weeks of this I decided to take the plunge, commit fully and go and buy a van. So I've bought a small Vauxhall Combo, put a 350 ltr tank in the back (framed and bolted, I didn't want to take any risks), and transferred the rest over reasonably easy. It took a couple of long afternoons, and I'm still tweaking things, but I'm up and running.

The thing I'm enjoying now is having a decent working setup, and doing my second and third cleans. I did get a bit down sometimes, doing 5 or 6 first time cleans in a day, and then reading on the forums about ones doing 200 to 300 quid a day. After a bit more reading tho, I know it will take 2 or 3 years and a lot more work to get to this point.

Anyway, I've spent many hours reading on the forums and gained so much knowledge along the way. It's also given me a boost when I've felt a bit fed up or doubtful whether I can make this work. So thank you to many of you for all your posts, it's really helped me! Hopefully someone might read this and decide to keep pushing to get up and running.

Any questions, pls feel free to ask...

Cheers all.
When starting out its a sharp learning curve , I was already well established trad and changed over to WFP and initially thought I had made a huge mistake 5 days trad work was taking 7+ day with the pole due to getting everything up to speed , but after a couple of cleans I knew ware ti park , go to the furthest point and work back to the van etc all things now that we take for granted , then it was taking me 3 days with the pole to do 5 days trad and I realised it was worth the hard work . Ime sure with determination you will be fine every day is a school day and you will continue to learn new and better ways as well as getting much quicker . A van mount will always be quicker and much easier than using a car and barrels

Well done. The beginning is hard with mostly first cleans and learning how to do things, where to lay your hose which window to start on, how much to extend your pole etc.
Keep us up to date with how you are doing.

When starting out its a sharp learning curve , I was already well established trad and changed over to WFP and initially thought I had made a huge mistake 5 days trad work was taking 7+ day with the pole due to getting everything up to speed , but after a couple of cleans I knew ware ti park , go to the furthest point and work back to the van etc all things now that we take for granted , then it was taking me 3 days with the pole to do 5 days trad and I realised it was worth the hard work . Ime sure with determination you will be fine every day is a school day and you will continue to learn new and better ways as well as getting much quicker . A van mount will always be quicker and much easier than using a car and barrels

Thanks Pjj. It does feel better knowing I'm not the only one who finds it hard going in the early days.
So when you said you found it faster starting round the back furthest away, and working back to the van, is that for all of your houses? I think I'll give that a try today...

Your first year will be hard unless you are lucky and have a second income. I found it gets easier after that.
Thanks!
I have been quite lucky in that I've gone part time in my other job. So I've got 2 days there, and then 3 to get the windows up and running. It does take a lot of pressure off
I'm hoping by spring next year to finish there and window clean full time.

Thanks Pjj. It does feel better knowing I'm not the only one who finds it hard going in the early days.
So when you said you found it faster starting round the back furthest away, and working back to the van, is that for all of your houses? I think I'll give that a try today...
Usually it’s easier and quicker to go to the furthest point as you have all the hose you need , there is of course ones that might not work that way for some reason

I usually park in the middle of the area I want to clean and then do one side and then the other.
In theory that's ideal but the reality can be very different, more so on some of the estates I clean on, I prefer to ideally park in visitor parking areas but unfortunately more so these days those are taken up by residents with too many cars for their own driveways

In theory that's ideal but the reality can be very different, more so on some of the estates I clean on, I prefer to ideally park in visitor parking areas but unfortunately more so these days those are taken up by residents with too many cars for their own driveways
Aye, noticed this today. Someone parked in the space I used so needed to park on a customers drive and pavement but it was very quiet. With more and more family cars means very little places to park. Getting to the stage I use my backpack more and just walk up. If the customer not happy then I tell them to find someone else but usually no one wants to do it because of the hassle parking. In future when I take on a new customer then I visit to see how the parking is, if its a nightmare then I say my van is too big.

I did try doing the back first confused some customers they came out and said you have missed the front and one old chap really was having a go even when I explained what I was doing so I just wished him well and left the front and never went back better off without that sort of customer.Still do either side the neighbours are fine and his windows are filthy and that was a few years back

Enjoy these early years, first cleans are horrific but the early years of growth and goals are the most fun.

In another 5 years you may think nothing of bashing out 300 quid a day but trying to do that 5 days a week in all weathers isnt all its cracked up to be.

I struggled the first few years, then figured it out, got really busy 5 days a week and went down the route of employing many times over. Only to realise in the end i dont want the stress, i was happier when less busy and earning less.... and so now i have downsized and only work 3 days week.

Enjoy these early years, first cleans are horrific but the early years of growth and goals are the most fun.

In another 5 years you may think nothing of bashing out 300 quid a day but trying to do that 5 days a week in all weathers isnt all its cracked up to be.

I struggled the first few years, then figured it out, got really busy 5 days a week and went down the route of employing many times over. Only to realise in the end i dont want the stress, i was happier when less busy and earning less.... and so now i have downsized and only work 3 days week.
Yeah, I have found it fun getting myself set up and running. It's quite an exciting time.
It sounds like you've been doing it a fair while. Fair play to you for making a living working just three days a week! Sounds like you've definitely got things worked out.

One thing I have noticed is doing the first time cleans has helped build up the parts of me that aren't used to WFP work. The first few times my shoulders were in bits, so I was kinda glad to only have 5 houses or so that day! Thankfully it's easier now ?

Well it sounds like you`ve got your head screwed on. If you are using a back back I would start at the nearest side first as that is when the backpack is at its heaviest then as you work around the house it will become lighter.

Yeah, I have found it fun getting myself set up and running. It's quite an exciting time.
It sounds like you've been doing it a fair while. Fair play to you for making a living working just three days a week! Sounds like you've definitely got things worked out.

One thing I have noticed is doing the first time cleans has helped build up the parts of me that aren't used to WFP work. The first few times my shoulders were in bits, so I was kinda glad to only have 5 houses or so that day! Thankfully it's easier now ?

Coming up to 9 years now, honestly it feels like yesterday i was noob on this forum asking all sorts of questions.

Window cleaning is a great one man start up business and its quite unique in that its repeat work. It is however very boring and monotonous once you get established. I think you either need to employ eventually or enjoy it for what it is : a great part time gig. Its pretty rare you`ll find anyone who works 40 hours a week on their own for any period of time, its just too hard both mentally and physically.

Personally i enjoy it in moderation, but too much of it and i began to hate it, my mental health suffered, was depressed a lot, didnt eat right or exercise much as just too run down with work and stressing about keeping on top of it in bad weather etc.

Working 3 days a week allows me a great life balance, i will never be a millionaire but i think once you become ok with that and live within your means you start to enjoy life more.

Latest Posts

Back