Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hot water system

WCF

Help Support WCF:

kevo10

Hi

Has anyone had a hot water system installed?
Was wondering if they are worth the high expense and how much they cost to run?
Also do you have to change pump controller pole hose or brushes when using the hot water

I'd spend your money on something else, how many times do you need to scrub the window with the bursh on monthly cleans?, once is enough then rinse. With hot water your still having to do the same amount of scrubbing so there's not going to be time saved there.

I'd imagine pvc jobs could have some time shaved from it with hot water getting used. I'm not sure how much time though. I'm actually going to use hot water on the next pvc job I get and see if I notice a big difference timewise. Il need to check my hose is okay for hot water but I could fill my tank from my hot water tank and run it through the di before it comes out.

You are a VERY funny guy. 5 minutes window cleaning and you’ve reached the pinnacle.
I know we’ll get the usual hot v cold debate but from my own personal experience I’ve lost just 1 day this year and that was snow on the ground. Correct me if I’m wrong but hot water will not help you get your van around if the snow is deep?
95% of my work is 4/8 weekly so I definitely do not need hot water for what are just maintenance cleans.
Certainly don’t need to be thinking about hot water at this time of year.
To be fair there are some mornings in winter when hot water would be nice I suppose to keep the pinkies warm but I’ve managed 18 winters on the pole and 20 years before that on the ladder and I’ve been ok.

I have a hotwater system from Grippatank if I have failed to mention it. Hot water is the Luxury end of window cleaning and only a few on here know the secret. Once you install a hot water system then one has reached the pinnacle of window cleaning and the rest is history, I'm afraid. ???

In all seriousness what do you want the hot water for ?. What was it going go make you do that you couldn't before?. It can't save any time cleaning windows as monthly cleans need one scrub and hot water would still have you doing that. On really dirty pvc jobs how much time does it save when using cold ? That's where I would agree that it would be quicker using hot. However pvc jobs in general don't take alot of scrubbing as it is so I can't see a massive time difference to justify it. I imagine when water goes on your hands or something in the winter if given the option I'd rather have it hot thab cold. Its not that big of a deal though. If it was a couple of hundred quid then then I'd maybe see a point in it. But £3600 for a piece of kit that doesn't really make a real difference to your day is mental to be spending.

If it stops the water freezing so you can work on the very few days we have over the year when it freezes then I could just fill my tank with hot water on they handfuls of days that you might loose an hour or 2 in the morning. But tbh when it's that cold, I'm not wanting to be going out anyway.

I'd spend your money on something else, how many times do you need to scrub the window with the bursh on monthly cleans?, once is enough then rinse. With hot water your still having to do the same amount of scrubbing so there's not going to be time saved there.

I'd imagine pvc jobs could have some time shaved from it with hot water getting used. I'm not sure how much time though. I'm actually going to use hot water on the next pvc job I get and see if I notice a big difference timewise. Il need to check my hose is okay for hot water but I could fill my tank from my hot water tank and run it through the di before it comes out.
What temperature are you calling hot water ?.. it makes a huge difference in time saving especially on costal work ,first cleans etc

What temperature are you calling hot water ?.. it makes a huge difference in time saving especially on costal work ,first cleans etc

I'm meaning just maintenence cleans. For people who's not near the coast. I'm not denying it would feel better on the hands in the winter. But it's a high price to pay for that unless you are in a place where the windows are near say a coast that's heating constantly battered making them dirtier than normal ones.

In all seriousness what do you want the hot water for ?. What was it going go make you do that you couldn't before?. It can't save any time cleaning windows as monthly cleans need one scrub and hot water would still have you doing that. On really dirty pvc jobs how much time does it save when using cold ? That's where I would agree that it would be quicker using hot. However pvc jobs in general don't take alot of scrubbing as it is so I can't see a massive time difference to justify it. I imagine when water goes on your hands or something in the winter if given the option I'd rather have it hot thab cold. Its not that big of a deal though. If it was a couple of hundred quid then then I'd maybe see a point in it. But £3600 for a piece of kit that doesn't really make a real difference to your day is mental to be spending.

If it stops the water freezing so you can work on the very few days we have over the year when it freezes then I could just fill my tank with hot water on they handfuls of days that you might loose an hour or 2 in the morning. But tbh when it's that cold, I'm not wanting to be going out anyway.
I have hot water systems in all my vans I certainly wouldn't have invested that amount of money if it made no or little difference , we get loads of salt, dried on seagull poo , tree sap , bee pollen fly poo etc try removing that with cold and see how long it takes then do it with hot water , not warm , hot then tell me it makes no difference, if you you like you are very welcome to come out with us for a day or two and try your cold then try hot and see which is best and quickest .

I'm meaning just maintenence cleans. For people who's not near the coast. I'm not denying it would feel better on the hands in the winter. But it's a high price to pay for that unless you are in a place where the windows are near say a coast that's heating constantly battered making them dirtier than normal ones.
We do 4 weekly cleans on the coast that the glass is opaque after 4 weeks seagull poo sticks like glue it cuts the time in less than half using hot in this type of work .it’s not cheap I accept but it’s still cost effective .

Last edited:
I have hot water, but choose not to mention it in every single post. I only use it when it’s icy. I certainly don’t believe some of the claims certain windies say about what hot does for them. I can see the benefits if working on the coast (I don’t thankfully).

Reaching your own pinnacle is when you have a full, content round. Not when you have loads of unnecessary equipment, not when you’ve been going 3 years but tell newbies you’ve been going 5. ?

We have work on all different cleaning schedules, anything from monthly to 6 monthly and we don't use hot water on any of them. We also have coastal work and other work 100+ miles from the sea.
We only use hot water when it's below freezing and new builds where they are still on a building site and haven't been done for a year. We will also put the hot water on for big, or really bad, pvc cleans.
I would buy another hot water system but this is only so we can say to our big PM customers we have that facility and for when we're away so don't lose time when freezing.

We do 4 weekly cleans on the coast that the glass is opaque after 4 weeks seagull poo sticks like glue it cuts the time in less than ha.f using hot in this type of work .it’s not cheap I accept but it’s still cost effective .

That's an exception most of us aren't going to have they kind of issues every month. For the usual maintenance cleans it's alot of money for little benifit. Scottish doesn't have they problems.

That's an exception most of us aren't going to have they kind of issues every month. For the usual maintenance cleans it's alot of money for little benifit. Scottish doesn't have they problems.
We also do work in city’s and find hot cuts through the road grime and fumes much quicker than cold we use it all year round on all work it only gets turned off when it’s that hot you cannot touch the hoses ???

We have work on all different cleaning schedules, anything from monthly to 6 monthly and we don't use hot water on any of them. We also have coastal work and other work 100+ miles from the sea.
We only use hot water when it's below freezing and new builds where they are still on a building site and haven't been done for a year. We will also put the hot water on for big, or really bad, pvc cleans.
I would buy another hot water system but this is only so we can say to our big PM customers we have that facility and for when we're away so don't lose time when freezing.

I've been cleaning windows for about 20 years give take but I'd happily try new things or ideas if it made things quicker. If I can take something from how soneone else does things that helps me then il do it. That's why when I quoted scottish I said I wasn't wanting it to sound like a dig like thing when asking the questions. See if it could be proved to even save 1 minute per house for normal maintence cleans I'd say its a no brainer and I'd get it. I really just can't see how it saves time for normal monthly cleans.

Hot water certainly made this job easier

Attachments

• 1AFB34AD-C7AF-424B-A1F5-CB3FE5055706.jpeg
    1AFB34AD-C7AF-424B-A1F5-CB3FE5055706.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 865E11CF-F69C-4074-9EAF-2EFE9892AC64.jpeg
    865E11CF-F69C-4074-9EAF-2EFE9892AC64.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DA15BD83-C0AF-4CA5-B463-8FCD2A745D4E.jpeg
    DA15BD83-C0AF-4CA5-B463-8FCD2A745D4E.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 11
  • E995B0CD-E1DC-47B7-A621-E14D4FC12CF0.jpeg
    E995B0CD-E1DC-47B7-A621-E14D4FC12CF0.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 2D2C6BB2-A961-4436-99C5-8322B9041B64.jpeg
    2D2C6BB2-A961-4436-99C5-8322B9041B64.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 11
Yes it was a cream frame also used a bit of degreaser first they couldn’t remember when it was last cleaned must be well over 5 years

I had a demo on one of my sites in Stevenage with one of Grippa tanks vans.It was nice but made absolutely no difference to speed of clean.
This job was a monthly maintenance clean.

If your near the coast or you do heavy industrial work I get why you want/need one but inland on regular work for your average domestic guy I can't.

With regards to really dirty con roofs like above it's the sort of work I walk away from.

Latest Posts

Back