Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How much to pay an employee

WCF

Help Support WCF:

SB window cleaning

Hi everyone, am try to take on some staff but I don't know how much to pay them I did put a post on some social media I was offering £10.00 but did not get much back?

It all depends on location, £10.00 an hour in London for example will not get you far as the cost of living in London is very high.

£10.00 an hour up North in Hartlepool can go a lot further than the £10.00 an hour in London.

If you want a good staff i suggest you offer him a career progression route, give him/her a starting wage and have a plan in place with him/her where they can hit certain targets, once he hits them targets over a period of time maybe you can up his wage, have a policy and procedure in place, once u have them 2 key aspects in place u can then start moving forward.

Hi everyone, am try to take on some staff but I don't know how much to pay them I did put a post on some social media I was offering £10.00 but did not get much back?
I think you need to sit down and work out what it’s going to cost you to employ someone first to make sure you can afford it or have budgeted for all the expenses , we offer a bonus incentive if certain targets are met , and no complaints , on top of their hourly rate , the more they do the more they earn , not saying I agree with it but think to a degree wages will depend on your area in the country

£10 is ok while training or on 3 month training rising to £15 they need some incentive also a bonus scheme when better using equipment and bringing more cash in

I was an employee two years ago before all this living crisis malarkey, I was pulling in around £2200 a month before tax working five, some times six days a week 8-4. No idea how my wages were structured if I'm honest as I was originally told I'd be on £10 p/h but as it works out I was on a lot more than that

I'd be inclined to go for around the £13 an hour mark here, that's good for an "unskilled" job entry level position. I would also offer incentives such as no complaints, extra £10 a day etc.

Problem with employing is not in my view how much you pay as to how to get rid of them once they are an employee if after the probation period they start slacking off.

Problem with employing is not in my view how much you pay as to how to get rid of them once they are an employee if after the probation period they start slacking off.
This is why it’s important to know the person well before taking them on , Evan then it doesn’t always work out , I have sacked 2 over the years , but if you alternate the work they do and offer some sort of incentive to keep them keen and motivated it works well ,

Hi mate I work for a window company and have been with him for a month now he pays me £10ph for the for 6 months /year and then will pay £12 ph I hope this helps

I would think your wage structure would depend on where you live. @P4dstar has had an ongoing battle to find the right wage
You can say that again.

It depends what you want from it really mate. If you want a casual worker then offering £10 an hour and calling it window cleaning is cool. Whack the advert on indeed and you'll find someone. Expect to replace them every 4-6 months as that's what happens in most professions with casual workers.

If you want to provide structure stick a proper advert on Indeed and really try and sell the role. Talk through holiday pay and pensions. IMO a site labourer is your ideal candidate. To get this kind of person you need to be competitive against building firms. I was tryna poach a lad last week, he tells me he's on £12 an hour with his agency... 0 hour contract and they bundle his holiday pay in with his wage (Which has been illegal since around 2008). In actual terms he's on £10.50 an hour, this is pretty much where I'm at but his current role sounds more appealing. Of course when the site closes at xmas he doesn't get paid but like most he's living week to week, not too fussed by it. My little bro is the same, he doesn't factor in Holiday pay etc, he just looks at what he is making that week.

Hi mate I work for a window company and have been with him for a month now he pays me £10ph for the for 6 months /year and then will pay £12 ph I hope this helps
If you've only been there for a month is it not that he is giving you a pay rise after the completion of a 6 month probationary period? It seems very odd to have such a varying pay structure. I was always under the impression we ran on an upwards only pay scale in the UK. An employee needs to voluntarily lower his or her wages. Some did this during the pandemic to help their companies out. It requires new contracts etc. Just be very conscious to check that you are being correctly reported to HMRC etc, make sure you have a payslip and pension contributions. If you're seen as "self employed" but you only work for the one guy thats another ball game but if that is used as a way to give you £2 less an hour for half the year it's about as legal as a kilo of cocaine.

If you've only been there for a month is it not that he is giving you a pay rise after the completion of a 6 month probationary period? It seems very odd to have such a varying pay structure. I was always under the impression we ran on an upwards only pay scale in the UK. An employee needs to voluntarily lower his or her wages. Some did this during the pandemic to help their companies out. It requires new contracts etc. Just be very conscious to check that you are being correctly reported to HMRC etc, make sure you have a payslip and pension contributions. If you're seen as "self employed" but you only work for the one guy thats another ball game but if that is used as a way to give you £2 less an hour for half the year it's about as legal as a kilo of cocaine.
The way I read it was £10 per hr for first 6 months (Training) then it went up to £12 an hour after that but not dropping after another 6 months, just a reduced wage while he was gaining experience.

Back