Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What are you paying your employees

WCF

Help Support WCF:

CHWS

What’s everyone currently paying their employees?

I’m thinking of giving my own a raise come April. Also considering putting my prices up again. I last put my prices up in in April 2022. I never lost any houses but then again it was my first ever price increase.

A lot has changed in the past year and a half

When someone was with me all the time round about £3 more than what the minimum wage was at the time. I also bought lunch each day.

That was cash in hand though, so I didn't have any outlays on holidays etc.

£15 per hour/ £100 a day plus holidays is a fair wage in this game. Anythin more and it’s not worth employing. If they want to earn more they will have to start workin for their self. Also a zero hours contract as you don’t wanna be paying them if there’s a bad run of weather or your van breaks down for instance.

£15 per hour/ £100 a day plus holidays is a fair wage in this game. Anythin more and it’s not worth employing. If they want to earn more they will have to start workin for their self. Also a zero hours contract as you don’t wanna be paying them if there’s a bad run of weather or your van breaks down for instance.
Just over minimum wage on a zero hours contract, can't see him getting anyone decent for that.

I would personally look at what similar, unskilled jobs are paying for lots of hours. Factory workers for example don't get paid a lot, but they can come home with a semi decent wage due to the hours available to them. I'd try and match that wage, with the incentive of less hours and arguably easier work

At the end of the day, you could offer them 50 quid an hour but if you're only able to offer them 3 hours worth of work a week, they're better off in the factory

I reckon minimum wage guaranteed 40hrs a week, then % bonus on work completed would be a fair way to go. They get a reliable income with incentive to get on with it. That’s the minimum I’d want if I had to do this as an employee.

Pretty much the goin rate for an employee in this job. Take it or leave it, plenty other jobs out there that offer a lot less too? Also £15 per hour is a considerable amount more than minimum wage even after the next rise.
The problem is if you pay peanuts you get monkeys , minimum wage is now around £11:50 per hour for age 21 I think? But I certainly wouldn’t want to work for someone for that I would have no enthusiasm at all , again what you can afford to pay employees is determined by what price your work is. There is a big difference between working on your own and earning a good hourly rate and then being able to have an employee and still make decent money you need to be making a lot more money to cover the extra expenses.

£100 a day isn't though, fancy turning up to do the £15 hour a job and be told there's only 2 hours work.

When I got to a stage that I had to much for myself but not enough for someone else, I took the hit and done less hours as I knew if I statted cutting the workers he wouldn't stick around very long. You need to be able to guarantee the other person whatever hours you agreed at the start.

Pretty much the goin rate for an employee in this job. Take it or leave it, plenty other jobs out there that offer a lot less too? Also £15 per hour is a considerable amount more than minimum wage even after the next rise.

While I won't try argue that window cleaning is much of a skill, it is physically demanding though, if its the choice between sitting in a warm factory or out cleaning windows in the cold putting strain on your joints then there's not many ppl who's choosing the windows. That's why unless you pay a bit more youl end up constantly replacing people as they get fed up and move as there's no incentive for them to stay.

It's human nature that we don't like change in our life's when it's what we are used too, the customers won't appreciate someone different every fee months. The only time I ever seem to get a complaint is if I've got someone else out to try catch up etc and the customer hasn't seen them before or aren't familiar of them. The windows are no different than the last time but they try find fault with them. They always say it wasn't our normal guy that did them. I go back and the streaks have magicaly disappeared.

£100 a day isn't though, fancy turning up to do the £15 hour a job and be told there's only 2 hours work.
I wouldn’t bother turning in myself for a 2 hour day and certainly wouldn’t have the shame of offering it to someone else on a hourly rate. Don’t know where you got that from?

That's the reason I like to stay small and nimble. Had that flu virus then the jags in the arms and must of had a week off. Say you have more than a full month and employ then it can be pretty stressful. I'm happy with the amount of customers I have and am at the stage I'm not looking for many more unless next to a customer I already clean.

Youl also find its not as easy as you might think getting someone who's reliable to come to there work. It's harder than you think trying to get someone. People who think they can sack someone one day and have them replaced the next are going to be in for a fright.

If you take people on, in the end its a case of you need them more than they need you, keep that in mind when thinking about how to treat then and how much to pay them. Trying to replace people with someone else who hasn't a clue where he's going etc is a massive headache and if you take a while to replace them the runs are miles behind.

There's a bit of skill in recruiting good people..... You might be better off taking on people who have no experience and training them up.

That's the reason I like to stay small and nimble. Had that flu virus then the jags in the arms and must of had a week off. Say you have more than a full month and employ then it can be pretty stressful. I'm happy with the amount of customers I have and am at the stage I'm not looking for many more unless next to a customer I already clean.
All about you again ??

I wouldn’t bother turning in myself for a 2 hour day and certainly wouldn’t have the shame of offering it to someone else on a hourly rate. Don’t know where you got that from?
You started by saying £15 an hour or £100 a day. £15 an hour is £120 a day so by you saying £15 I assumed your zero hour contract meant they worked rhe hours required, as per the meaning of zero hours.

Also surely takes ages for someone to get to good standard. I know I was improving for years. And How fast I work now, if I was working for someone else I cant see I'd put the same effort in.

How many days a week do you work as a window cleaner? And how many days do you work as a handyman?

My take on this is £15ph ain't bad at all carers get paid less than this and it's a dam sight harder with far more responsibility than cleaning windows, but a good company will be providing a pension and full pay on the sick anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months, a decent hourly rate or day rate is one thing but there is more to it but I doubt most people ever really think about the other side of a decent hourly rate.

Latest Posts

Back