Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What are you paying your employees

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Aye, although I have a frost stat but that doesn't protect my membranes from freezing so worth sticking an oil filled rad in back overnight. Its freezing all week so will be taking most of it off. If its freezing all month then I will take it off and start back in January. Customers are intelligent and will realise why but I will text most of them.
Yeh I think we have this weather at least till mid next week, then likely westerlys back.

Pussies lol
Been working all day in -2 just crack on and get it done
Had a few that might have frozen over the front door so just trad poles them
Can’t take a week off due to weather
Then again if you only have 14 jobs a day for a few days then you probably can
Some of us are proper window cleaners

Pussies lol
My alternator got filled with PS fluid and now its gave up the ghost. Got a new one coming down from Aberdeen probably by carrier pigeon because they left this morning with it. ?

Pussies lol
Totally agree Dave. Us southerners just crack on and graft.
Soft shandy sipping northerners probably didn’t work because they couldn’t get hold of any six fingered gloves ?????‍?

Pussies lol
I agree with you dave b. Dont know how far south you are but I'm in Dorset area and its been around -2 today and I'm still wearing shorts. ??️‍♀️

Totally agree Dave. Us southerners just crack on and graft.
Soft shandy sipping northerners probably didn’t work because they couldn’t get hold of any six fingered gloves ?????‍?
I worked in the snow all day today throughout heavy snow fall, it wasn't to much snow for me, but probably enough to grind London to halt I'm surprised it didn't make the national news maybe when London get 2" it will ?

Ive caught up for now, only prob I had was pump kept stopping early in the day which could've been hose laying on frozen ground ( dont have hot water)
and a conservatory where the couple were on hols and was covered in ice in places.

wrong trade mate, shoulda been a posty:LOL:
Tenuously connected to that, I popped into the local garage this morning to pick up my paper as I always do every morning.
Stood outside as usual were around 6-7 scaffolders chatting. All had shorts and t shirts on.
The other thing they all had in common was they either had their hands in their pockets or had their arms crossed because they were cold.
But best not put a hoodie/ coat on as it’s imperative to look hard at all times ????

Tenuously connected to that, I popped into the local garage this morning to pick up my paper as I always do every morning.
Stood outside as usual were around 6-7 scaffolders chatting. All had shorts and t shirts on.
The other thing they all had in common was they either had their hands in their pockets or had their arms crossed because they were cold.
But best not put a hoodie/ coat on as it’s imperative to look hard at all times ????
I drove past two posties this week both wearing shorts looked like ? when I drove past them but like ? when they got to houses I was working on

If £15 is considered poor then its really not worth employing these days. Thats probably £150 a day all costs factored in. Would need to be turning over 350 bare minimum to make it viable and if they are you are going over VAT so another 20% hit. God help you when you have to pay them for rain days or they get sick. Nightmare, the margins in this game are getting smaller. Was only a few years ago when i was paying £9 an hour its getting daft.

If £15 is considered poor then its really not worth employing these days. Thats probably £150 a day all costs factored in. Would need to be turning over 350 bare minimum to make it viable and if they are you are going over VAT so another 20% hit. God help you when you have to pay them for rain days or they get sick. Nightmare, the margins in this game are getting smaller. Was only a few years ago when i was paying £9 an hour its getting daft.
it all depends on the type of work you do if doing houses for £5-8 then no its going to be difficult to make it pay but if doing decent priced work then its not an issue and you will make a good profit .

I don't know anyone who pays for rain days. When I worked for a company we had the option to work in the rain or take the day off unpaid.

We as in sole traders are all getting pushed towards the vat threshold in the coming years if nothing is changed, we are also getting hammered with tax with nothing moving either,

Also add into this everything has got quite a bit more expensive not just consumables in our trade, but the cost of living has gone through the roof compared to say 3 or so years ago,

If someone wants to employ these days prices are going to have to be pushed to the limits, I am with you on it not been worthwhile employing, not that I've ever considered employing but small businesses these days will be far less likely to employ than they might have done in the past.

We as in sole traders are all getting pushed towards the vat threshold in the coming years if nothing is changed, we are also getting hammered with tax with nothing moving either,

Also add into this everything has got quite a bit more expensive not just consumables in our trade, but the cost of living has gone through the roof compared to say 3 or so years ago,

If someone wants to employ these days prices are going to have to be pushed to the limits, I am with you on it not been worthwhile employing, not that I've ever considered employing but small businesses these days will be far less likely to employ than they might have done in the past.
Its the same with a lot of hospitality industry amongst others. They try if possible to get the younger workers as the minimum wage is less.

Its the same with a lot of hospitality industry amongst others. They try if possible to get the younger workers as the minimum wage is less.
Probably the same with a lot of jobs now, but not many married people are going to want to do the hours and be as flexible as a young single person, my wife was a carer for almost 20 years and got completely fed up with it, this is the way some jobs are going, wages aren't enough for the responsibility involved when you can go and get a job for a very similar wage and far less responsibility and stress,

and apparently, £15ph for cleaning windows isn't enough :rolleyes:

I have been employing on a part time basis and also been getting back into plastering which I am experienced and competent at like last Saturday when I did a private job for a mate for £360 for a days work skimming a whole bedroom and ceiling
If that takes off I will need to employ full time for the windows
Too old to be outside in winter now lol

Latest Posts

Back