Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Introduction - new to cleaning

WCF

Help Support WCF:

You can spend hours cleaning the gap and not do it properly. I use a screwdriver to clean this, there are other tools that will assist. Purely blasting water won't do it.
Cleaning the gap out can sometimes take longer than cleaning and rinsing the window.
We use a claw brush. We got a couple from Halfords bicycle section, but they do come up on eBay and Amazon every now and again.
They are £4.00 at Halfords ATM.

Cleaning the gap out can sometimes take longer than cleaning and rinsing the window.
We use a claw brush. We got a couple from Halfords bicycle section, but they do come up on eBay and Amazon every now and again.
That's what I use it makes very quick work of getting out that trapped crud, I keep the water flowing whilst using the brush it must be 50%+ faster than just trying with wfp.

The branded ones are on Amazon Bike claw brush £4.88 but there is an unbranded at £3.99.

You can also block one of your brush jets off with your finger and use the other jet to blast the dirt out of the expansion gap.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The gap between the window and cill is a nightmare. I use one blue pencel when they are bad to blast everything out. Then next time don't want any time on it
I worked with another window cleaner on his round to help him out many years ago. He never cleaned the gap out. Once he was finished cleani9ng all the windows, he wiped the bottom sills off with his towel. When I started to clean the gaps out of the windows I was cleaning, he stopped me and asked me what I was doing! I felt very uncomfortable leaving all the muck in the gap, but that was what he instructed.

Thanks, I’m a strong believer in “start as you mean to go on” so I’m trying to get it right from the start. My system is just a 325L facelift compact with carbon poles, a few brushes, iv invested in some trad equipment as to me the multi skill is important.
Sorted myself a uniform as image can be everything, so when out door knocking or working I look professional and feel this in itself can help.
I have business cards, flyers and website set up as well as the usual social media platforms and I’m hopeful this will all help in the long run.
I guess the most important part is to learn the trade and be able to provide a great service to land the repeat work and get customers telling there friends and family.
I would offer both WFP And trad. I trad most houses and I’ve picked up so many customers that have seen me and want to switch from their current WFP. Window cleaning is competitive and 95% use the same tools. If you are in an area where all the others use WFP system, offer an alternative. Good luck ??

I would offer both WFP And trad. I trad most houses and I’ve picked up so many customers that have seen me and want to switch from their current WFP. Window cleaning is competitive and 95% use the same tools. If you are in an area where all the others use WFP system, offer an alternative. Good luck ??
Honestly, I wouldn't. There is nothing wrong with learning to be skilful at trad as we have a few inside cleaning jobs, but we don't offer it as either/or. We are wfp finished.

Simply, if a customer isn't happy with the pole, 99% of the time it will be down to the cleaner, not the wfp concept.

As I've mentioned before, we had a cleaner who converted to wfp. He used tap water judging by the state of the windows he cleaned. As he carried his own water in barrels in the boot of his car, water saving was important. He had an old Vikan oval he used to wet the window with no water flow. Then he switched his pump on to squit a quick rinse, which didn't even get a flow of water running down the glass. When our next door neighbours moved in, they brought him with them. I watched him on a couple of occasions. Thank goodness he retired, as he didn't do our industry any favours.

My life is more important than to offer trad. We know of 2 local people who have life changing injuries caused by falling from a ladder. One was a window cleaner who is now paralysed from the chest down, and the other a customer (of another local cleaner) who decided to clean his own soffits and fascias because he felt the quoted price was too high.

Honestly, I wouldn't. There is nothing wrong with learning to be skilful at trad as we have a few inside cleaning jobs, but we don't offer it as either/or. We are wfp finished.

Simply, if a customer isn't happy with the pole, 99% of the time it will be down to the cleaner, not the wfp concept.

As I've mentioned before, we had a cleaner who converted to wfp. He used tap water judging by the state of the windows he cleaned. As he carried his own water in barrels in the boot of his car, water saving was important. He had an old Vikan oval he used to wet the window with no water flow. Then he switched his pump on to squit a quick rinse, which didn't even get a flow of water running down the glass. When our next door neighbours moved in, they brought him with them. I watched him on a couple of occasions. Thank goodness he retired, as he didn't do our industry any favours.

My life is more important than to offer trad. We know of 2 local people who have life changing injuries caused by falling from a ladder. One was a window cleaner who is now paralysed from the chest down, and the other a customer (of another local cleaner) who decided to clean his own soffits and fascias because he felt the quoted price was too high.
Yeah I do agree with you to a degree, but I was more suggesting that there’s little to no difference, in an already saturated profession, between the 10-20+ Window cleaners all offering WFP in any given area. Other than the actual person doing it. It’s all the same service, same tools.

I don’t do anything above 2 storeys off a ladder because like you say, not worth the risk at that height. But, 2 storeys on a ladder isn’t unsafe if you’re careful, aware and confident (not overconfident) on a ladder.

Injuries can happen from anything. Even WFP if you do it for long enough your neck, shoulders and arms will suffer longterm.

Pros and cons to everything but there are plenty of customers out there who prefer trad and very few window cleaners want to do it anymore. To stand out, you need to offer something different, whatever that may be.

Also I wasn’t knocking WFP as a concept or method. It was more the case that EVERYONE uses it, so as a way to differentiate yourself maybe look at offering trad as there will be customers who have WFP currently and want to switch back to trad.

I also think a lot of customers, regardless of the benefits using WFP and safety aspects, like to know their glazing frames sills etc have been cleaned by hand.

We still have a lot of Trad cleaners up here but they are slowly changing. Trad is just to slow and far more dangerous. Only heard about one new estate with white rough cast, they didn't like the idea of water running down the walls. After a few years they will probably change their thinking.

Also I wasn’t knocking WFP as a concept or method. It was more the case that EVERYONE uses it, so as a way to differentiate yourself maybe look at offering trad as there will be customers who have WFP currently and want to switch back to trad.

I also think a lot of customers, regardless of the benefits using WFP and safety aspects, like to know their glazing frames sills etc have been cleaned by hand.
I was just expressing my opinion. Obviously, each cleaner must make a decision how he will operate his business, taking into account his abilities and experiences.

I fell off my ladders from a 1st floor Victorian house window. I was fortunate. We were the second cleaners in our area to offer wfp. We were trad before this. My trad reservations stem from my experience. Each time someone mentions trad, I relive my experience.

On occasion, we have cleaned a few windows wfp for nothing to show a customer the difference between our clean and another's slap dash efforts. Over the years we have had a couple of enquiries asking for a trad quote. I have always refused, as my experience tells me that their requested clean method is just not worth my risk.

As trad cleaner, we always tried to do a good job, wiping sills and frames as well. But on the same windows cleaned wfp, the wfp window clean was far superior. Yes, there are a few nightmare jobs that wfp isn't suited to. We don't involve ourselves with those.

Yeah I do agree with you to a degree, but I was more suggesting that there’s little to no difference, in an already saturated profession, between the 10-20+ Window cleaners all offering WFP in any given area. Other than the actual person doing it. It’s all the same service, same tools.

I don’t do anything above 2 storeys off a ladder because like you say, not worth the risk at that height. But, 2 storeys on a ladder isn’t unsafe if you’re careful, aware and confident (not overconfident) on a ladder.

Injuries can happen from anything. Even WFP if you do it for long enough your neck, shoulders and arms will suffer longterm.

Pros and cons to everything but there are plenty of customers out there who prefer trad and very few window cleaners want to do it anymore. To stand out, you need to offer something different, whatever that may be.
A fall from any height can and will kill you , a friend of mines son was on a walk in the country and he climbed over a farm 5 bar gate slipped and hit his head on the ground from less than a meter and died .
Also why do we need to give the customer options ?? Chamiss leather was replaced by applicator and squeegee, and now WFP to a degree will replace that , there are good and bad window cleaners what ever method they use , we are the experts not the customer if they don’t like the methods we use then they are able to find someone else , but the interesting thing with this is if they allow you to use an unsafe method and an accident happens they can also be held responsible for letting you do it . Trad does still have its place but not for working at height especially if you are an employer.

Almost exactly the same could have been said 15 years ago most trad lads weren't touching the frames then wfp started getting used more, I was the first one in my area so cleaning all the frames and doors people really saw the benefit and still do of a proper wfp job done as it should be done,

I personally think if you're offering both it shows somewhat of a lack of confidence in wfp to residential clients this isn't directed at you to cause offence and my view may be off slightly, but no way when I was converting my rounds would I back down and get up a ladder for someone who didn't want wfp but I broke my back some years previously to switching so no way was I risking spending the rest of life in a wheelchair for a few quid.

Almost exactly the same could have been said 15 years ago most trad lads weren't touching the frames then wfp started getting used more, I was the first one in my area so cleaning all the frames and doors people really saw the benefit and still do of a proper wfp job done as it should be done,

I personally think if you're offering both it shows somewhat of a lack of confidence in wfp to residential clients this isn't directed at you to cause offence and my view may be off slightly, but no way when I was converting my rounds would I back down and get up a ladder for someone who didn't want wfp but I broke my back some years previously to switching so no way was I risking spending the rest of life in a wheelchair for a few quid.
I don’t offer both, I offer trad because there is a bigger demand for it

A fall from any height can and will kill you , a friend of mines son was on a walk in the country and he climbed over a farm 5 bar gate slipped and hit his head on the ground from less than a meter and died .
Also why do we need to give the customer options ?? Chamiss leather was replaced by applicator and squeegee, and now WFP to a degree will replace that , there are good and bad window cleaners what ever method they use , we are the experts not the customer if they don’t like the methods we use then they are able to find someone else , but the interesting thing with this is if they allow you to use an unsafe method and an accident happens they can also be held responsible for letting you do it . Trad does still have its place but not for working at height especially if you are an employer.
All fair points. You don’t need to offer both, was merely a suggestion for getting started and offering a method not many want to offer any more. Plenty of customers still want trad in their homes. You saying they can find someone else does prove my point for offering trad as hardly anyone else wants to do it. Yes you can educate customers but some won’t be changed and will just want trad. If you don’t want to give a choice there’s nothing wrong with that, and that’s where the likes of Liam starting out can get some quick wins to build his own round up.

It’s not that unsafe. Ladders are safe to use if you’re careful and confident like I said, and they have been for decades. WFP is obviously safer but to say ladders are unsafe is a stretch to me.

All fair points. You don’t need to offer both, was merely a suggestion for getting started and offering a method not many want to offer any more. Plenty of customers still want trad in their homes. You saying they can find someone else does prove my point for offering trad as hardly anyone else wants to do it. Yes you can educate customers but some won’t be changed and will just want trad. If you don’t want to give a choice there’s nothing wrong with that, and that’s where the likes of Liam starting out can get some quick wins to build his own round up.

It’s not that unsafe. Ladders are safe to use if you’re careful and confident like I said, and they have been for decades. WFP is obviously safer but to say ladders are unsafe is a stretch to me.
Down hear you will struggle to find a cleaner who will do trad , I know of only 2 . Personally I wouldn’t want to build a round with trad work it’s ok for shop fronts but that’s all we do trad apart from commercial contracts ware we have to do internal windows . Each to there own your area might be different to mine we haven’t done trad since 2004 . As for safety no one goes out intending to have an accident but each year hundreds are injured using them especially professional people as they can get overly confident and take risks , I have been in in the fire service 35 years and seen numerous falls from ladders by builders , painters , etc over the years , if both feet are on the ground you are a lot safer especially when you look at our job doing xx amount of houses everyday of the week , also if employing it would be very difficult to justify to the HSE why they are cleaning windows using them , there was a big court case a few years ago involving a big multi national one of there guys fell off a ladder and was killed working on I believe st jameses palace owned by the royal family it made headline news at the time and resulted in huge fines for the company.

Back