Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Is flat tank ok to be strapped down

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Exactly so I've not got much option but to strap it down with multiple rachet straps tye strongest I can find
See if you can unbolt a tie down then push a bit of wire or something through the hole in the floor and look underneath. If you can see the wire maybe you could gat a spreader plate in and drill the existing hole out to put a rated eye bolt in. At least that would be a bit stronger. Obviously if in any doubt about cables, brake pipes, fuel tanks etc don't be drilling bigger holes.

See if you can unbolt a tie down then push a bit of wire or something through the hole in the floor and look underneath. If you can see the wire maybe you could gat a spreader plate in and drill the existing hole out to put a rated eye bolt in. At least that would be a bit stronger. Obviously if in any doubt about cables, brake pipes, fuel tanks etc don't be drilling bigger holes.
I have 6 tie downs if I held a tanks down with the highest load capacity industrial rachet straps do you think it would be safe enough

I rang wcw they put me in Touch with purefreedom and just to Install a frame was £900 so I'm just going to risk it because that's ridiculous
That's £474 for their crash-tested upright frame then £426 to bolt it in total £900 it's one big chunk of money that's for certain and more so if you outgrow a 350ltr tank and need to refit another van, it's portable to point but again you need someone to fit it in the future, after years of owning a PF system they are bleedin ugly looking things with everything on show,

Some people I've seen with this type of frame 350l Upright Tank retaining Frame but you'd need to find somewhere to fit the tank, my local garage that I've used for years bolted in my compact system they needed to do some fabricating but they charged me £300 in the end that was £300 cheaper than I was quoted elsewhere,

Fitting a tank securely into a car-derived van isn't as straightforward as fitting one into a bigger van so you need to find someone who knows exactly what they are doing FITTING INFO does driveway fitting and has fitted systems for some on here,

No one on here is going to say just strap the tank in with anything on the cheap because accidents do happen yesterday I was crossing a big roundabout doing around 30mph a car pulled straight out and crawled along thankfully there was enough room so I could hit the brakes and not hit them

I have 6 tie downs if I held a tanks down with the highest load capacity industrial rachet straps do you think it would be safe enough
This a photo of a tie down out of old my 64-plate combo and a nut the same size it was threaded into you don't want to be strapping 350-400kg to those as they'll rip straight through the floor in an accident.

Attachments

• 20200202_115541.jpg
    20200202_115541.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 5
Most vehicle manufacturers tie downs are not rated for any load! As window cleaners we carry a localised very heavy load that isn't a solid object but a liquid. You have to remember you are trying to stop the 400kg hitting the back of your seat and crushing you against the steering wheel.

I very much doubt the tie downs will be strong enough. I know that's not what you want to hear but it's your life you are risking, as long as it's only you in van ( I know some windys drop kids off to school etc) then it's your decision. Unfortunately setting up for wfp isn't cheap. I take it you haven't got any mates that are ok with mechanics that you could get to help for a few beers?

Most vehicle manufacturers tie downs are not rated for any load! As window cleaners we carry a localised very heavy load that isn't a solid object but a liquid. You have to remember you are trying to stop the 400kg hitting the back of your seat and crushing you against the steering wheel.

I very much doubt the tie downs will be strong enough. I know that's not what you want to hear but it's your life you are risking, as long as it's only you in van ( I know some windys drop kids off to school etc) then it's your decision. Unfortunately setting up for wfp isn't cheap. I take it you haven't got any mates that are ok with mechanics that you could get to help for a few beers?
I don't so do I need a mechanic to do it like do I just asked them to bolt down a tank or?

Attachments

• 20231011_111739.jpg
    20231011_111739.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 9

The picture is my anchor thing

@James102

I don't mean to be rude or offensive, but please listen to what these posters are telling you.

Going into wfp window cleaning is expensive. You need a tank held in with a cash tested tank frame and installed professionally. Even doing this won't guarantee your life in an accident, but you will stand a better chance. You need to consider your safety and others as the number one concern. What price do you put on life? This is serious.

In February 2023, we had a window cleaner killed on Teesside in an accident. His strapped in tank slid forward and impaled him on his steering wheel, even with an airbag. If you know Transits, the floor of the cargo area is lower than the cabin's floor, but that didn't prevent what happened. It shouldn't have happened. He was 42 and now 3 children have lost their father and a mother her partner.

A while ago now we heard of the death of another window cleaner, a young lad, killed in a what was described as a small bumper bashing accident in Norfolk. He was driving a Caddy van, and again, the tank slid forward and impaled him on his steering wheel.

When I worked in the motor trade selling Citroën vans, I enquired about the rating of Citroën Berlingo van's (1999 - 2004 models) tie down hooks, and Citroën technical refused to answer the question. Just use them for a tie down cargo net to hold loose packages, nothing more.
In car derived vans, the cargo floor is higher; with my son's Berlingo It's just slightly lower than the front seat level; so even less protection.

My van's tank is secured with 5 high tensile bolts through the chassis with spreader plates and another 4 through the floor with spreader plates. I purchased a used steel Peugeot/Citroën factory bulkhead for added passenger protection. This bulkhead is far superior to the tin can ones on sale through van accessory shops. It doesn't guarantee my life or my son's life in an accident, but we both stand a much better chance.

@James102

I don't mean to be rude or offensive, but please listen to what these posters are telling you.

Going into wfp window cleaning is expensive. You need a tank held in with a cash tested tank frame and installed professionally. Even doing this won't guarantee your life in an accident, but you will stand a better chance. You need to consider your safety and others as the number one concern. What price do you put on life? This is serious.

In February 2023, we had a window cleaner killed on Teesside in an accident. His strapped in tank slid forward and impaled him on his steering wheel, even with an airbag. If you know Transits, the floor of the cargo area is lower than the cabin's floor, but that didn't prevent what happened. It shouldn't have happened. He was 42 and now 3 children have lost their father and a mother her partner.

A while ago now we heard of the death of another window cleaner, a young lad, killed in a what was described as a small bumper bashing accident in Norfolk. He was driving a Caddy van, and again, the tank slid forward and impaled him on his steering wheel.

When I worked in the motor trade selling Citroën vans, I enquired about the rating of Citroën Berlingo van's (1999 - 2004 models) tie down hooks, and Citroën technical refused to answer the question. Just use them for a tie down cargo net to hold loose packages, nothing more.
In car derived vans, the cargo floor is higher; with my son's Berlingo It's just slightly lower than the front seat level; so even less protection.

My van's tank is secured with 5 high tensile bolts through the chassis with spreader plates and another 4 through the floor with spreader plates. I purchased a used steel Peugeot/Citroën factory bulkhead for added passenger protection. This bulkhead is far superior to the tin can ones on sale through van accessory shops. It doesn't guarantee my life or my son's life in an accident, but we both stand a much better chance.
Ye obviously I would prefer to bolt it down it's just finding where to bolt it down

Personally if I were you and if you are currently using a trolley at the minute get yourself through into next year get more customers and more savings behind you and if things are going well and you see your business as continuing to grow then look at getting a new system all together like a Facelift 425ltr compact system with PowerUp reel.

If you have a good credit rating PayPal offers interest-free credit for 4 months or something or Pay In 3 providing they approve you the Pay-In-3 spreads the cost over 3 months and the fitting price of £400 at WCW is a separate payment from the cost of the system, with a fully integrated system you'll be completely set up no messing around and you'll have a professionally installed system,

Using a trolley ain't all that bad I used one for 4 years with a full round at that time, plenty have done so before you and will do so after you, a few months is nothing in the grand scheme of things, be smart because I have seen some shocking things over the years and surprised more people haven't died for the sake of waiting and spending a bit more money and doing things right!!

Personally if I were you and if you are currently using a trolley at the minute get yourself through into next year get more customers and more savings behind you and if things are going well and you see your business as continuing to grow then look at getting a new system all together like a Facelift 425ltr compact system with PowerUp reel.

If you have a good credit rating PayPal offers interest-free credit for 4 months or something or Pay In 3 providing they approve you the Pay-In-3 spreads the cost over 3 months and the fitting price of £400 at WCW is a separate payment from the cost of the system, with a fully integrated system you'll be completely set up no messing around and you'll have a professionally installed system,

Using a trolley ain't all that bad I used one for 4 years with a full round at that time, plenty have done so before you and will do so after you, a few months is nothing in the grand scheme of things, be smart because I have seen some shocking things over the years and surprised more people haven't died for the sake of waiting and spending a bit more money and doing things right!!
I don't have a trolley u was working out of a car with pump controller hose 80 litre tank in the boot n filled it up with a load of 25 litre barrels but failed it mot so now have a van

The reason why they charge more to fit a tank into a car-derived van is that there could be a lot more work involved. Especially is this true if the fuel tank needs to be lowered.

When I fitted the tank into my Peugeot Boxer, I didn't have to drop the fuel tank, but it was still a hard and difficult job. When I fitted the tank into my son's Berlingo, I welded 'outriggers' onto the frame, so I could save having to drop the tank. (The fuel tank fitted between the chassis rails, so these 'outriggers' extended past the chassis rails to allow me to use spreader plates with the appropriate high tensile nuts and bolts.)

Last edited:

I would prefer to bolt it down but no where local does it I'm thinking ask welders to make me a frame up

@James102 I used to work for a company that sold ratchet straps among other things and they are not designed for holding down loads that are liquid - like a tank of water. Water moves very differently when it's travelling than a regular load when secured. Even well/high rated straps won't be much use in an accident. They also weaken at the points where they bend round the edges of the tank (if you see what I mean). I know alot of the lads on the facebook forums strap their tanks down but it's obviously at their own risk. They argue that they are designed to hold concrete blocks and sewer pipes etc when they're being transported but they aren't the same type of load as a tank of water. They're also only normally used a few times before they should be replaced with new ones. One of the previous posters recommends the "Zero DS" company (I think that's what they're called). They're a mobile service and will come to you and they seem very nice and reliable people. They are very well reviewed. You might also find if you know a mechanic locally to yourself they might be able to point you in the right direction of someone who could help. Of course it's entirely up to you. You know what you are capable of and feel safe with etc but I'm only telling you what I know from experience.

Back