Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Is this normal for a TDS meter readings?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Suhrly

Hi guys. So I bought a new TDS meter and I'm not sure what's going on with the readouts I'm getting. I can test my tap water on the morning with a reading of 160ppm. Then on a night I'm getting a reading of 55ppm!! I tested it today and got another reading of 290ppm!! What's going on?

The TDS meter is a very cheap one off Ebay for like £5 so obviously it's a shitty one. So does anyone else have such a fluctuating TDS reading on their water or should I get a better meter? One on Window Cleaning Warehouse is £20 is that one any good?

Thanks.

You get what you pay for with most things, tds meters included. The cheap ones have **** components and give weird readings. Two small window jobs and it'll be paid for [emoji106]

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Our tap water ranges from 30ppm right up to 100, it’s natural to have a variance. The main thing you want to be testing is the water youre actually using, as long as thats pure why worry about what the tap says

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Our tap water ranges from 30ppm right up to 100, it’s natural to have a variance. The main thing you want to be testing is the water youre actually using, as long as thats pure why worry about what the tap says

Because I have yet to buy a WFP system and I'm testing my tap water to see if I need an RO system or can get away with just DI. But when I'm getting readings anywhere from 55-290...what am I supposed to do? 

In my opinion if it was me i would assume the highest reading and go for RO. Risk eliminated then right? Im in a soft water area so dont even know what RO stands for or is. Whatever it takes to get the water pure i guess dude

In my opinion if it was me i would assume the highest reading and go for RO. Risk eliminated then right? Im in a soft water area so dont even know what RO stands for or is. Whatever it takes to get the water pure i guess dude

That is exactly what I'm thinking mate! I'm supposedly in a soft water area too this is what is frustrating. My water company says I should be getting around 65ppm. I'm gonna invest in another/better meter and hopefully that'll give me a truer reading. Thanks mate.

No worries. If youve had a reading at 290 who knows whats coming through the tap when youre not taking a reading. Could be pushing 400 at times.

Are you allowing the meter to be submerged for a period of time or just whipping it in and out of the source?  My advice is to fill a cup of water from the tap and make sure the entire head of the reader is under water.  Allow at least 15 seconds for it to settle a reading and use that as your base line.

Mine varies from 290-350ppm depending on the day, but anything over 80 and DI will be too expensive for a 20 day month of working so go for the RO.

I spend about £150 a year on resin now (25L bag lasts about 5 changes) but at my old house it was £90 a week DI only.  The RO is paying for itself hand over fist in the van now.

I would also recommend a better quality meter if the readings are so sporadic, but see if it helps your reading consistency on the cheap one by allowing it time to settle in the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you allowing the meter to be submerged for a period of time or just whipping it in and out of the source?  My advice is to fill a cup of water from the tap and make sure the entire head of the reader is under water.  Allow at least 15 seconds for it to settle a reading and use that as your base line.

Mine varies from 290-350ppm depending on the day, but anything over 80 and DI will be too expensive for a 20 day month of working so go for the RO.

I spend about £150 a year on resin now (25L bag lasts about 5 changes) but at my old house it was £90 a week DI only.  The RO is paying for itself hand over fist in the van now.

I would also recommend a better quality meter if the readings are so sporadic, but see if it helps your reading consistency on the cheap one by allowing it time to settle in the water.

Thanks for the awesome advice Chris mate! £90 a week on resin! Wow I could not afford that! So I've made the decision to just go for the RO system anyways and be on the safe side and hopefully save a ton of money in the long run with regards to resin.

Thanks for the awesome advice Chris mate! £90 a week on resin! Wow I could not afford that! So I've made the decision to just go for the RO system anyways and be on the safe side and hopefully save a ton of money in the long run with regards to resin.
Even if I had a reading of 70ppm I still would because long term it's still a more affordable way of producing the water.

Good luck buddy, I moved our customer base from trad to WFP 2 years ago and never looked back.  Smashes the old methods for earning potential, quality and safety.

Latest Posts

Back