Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Late payers since converting to bacs

WCF

Help Support WCF:

The majority of my debt is online payers, I do eventually get paid though. Unfortunately the debt keeps increasing constantly tho

I don’t have a problem with bacs , some are late, some forget, but they all pay eventually.
If you’ve got a decent float it doesn’t matter.

To put it plainly complete bolleks, literally every company that collects money for bills via direct debit that's utility companies council etc could take what they wanted, I don't try to hide anything from my customers an old person typically wouldn't sign up to a dd they'd be cash payers and no access is given to anyone's bank account, I have a well written payments page on my website clearly outlining things and I always state to the customer any questions at all please don't hesitate to contact me

Honestly people talk about the North East of England being like another world a miles behind down south I had no idea Scotland was even further behind, anyway I'm off take me whippet out with my flat cap on, hopefully, it's not too cold for you today wearing your kilt
Your right that we are way behind up here. I had to drive down to Grippatank in Cambridge to get my system fitted. There is a Bill passing through Holyrood trying to ban Greyhound racing. ?

I do know the difference between a whippet and a greyhound, but again what has that to do with with this thread ?
He was saying we are backward up here and I was trying to explain why. We have a Government up here that is more interested in spending time discussing Greyhound racing than discussing important issues like, Rail strike, Fire service strike, Ambulance strike, teachers strike, NHS strike, BT 999 call handlers strike and many more. For the last 15 years we have been held back because the snp will not talk to Westminster and actually try and do the opposite of Westminster to gain points. I thought you would know this because the Fire service is all about politics. Poly means many and Tics are bloodsucking creatures so definition of politics is bloodsucking creatures. ?

Funny you say this a local window cleaner to me is now insisting all customers go onto gocardless and ones are dropping him like flies we alone have had over 20 of his customers contact us saying they aren’t prepared to sigh up to it , but he’s adamant it’s that or no windows cleaned , I personally wouldn’t sign up to it either although it’s a safe way to pay as I have been told the customers have up to 12 months to complain to the bank and they can get there money back no questions asked , so you the cleaner could find yourself out of pocket by 12 cleans Evan if ever has been done right the bank favours the client not the worker .
He's likely going about it the wrong way though. The only way to legitimately do this is to put this in place for future customers, then apply it to all late payers. Let the old ones carry on as they are. I say likely as he may have done the above and then decided to work out the weeds once they became too big of a business.

The fear of someone charging back isn't a reason to avoid GC IMHO. It isn't as easy as you make out mate. Many years ago I was on my ar5e and needed to stop a direct debit. Sky were charging me for a PPV that they were meant to credit to my account. The direct debit had literally gone out that morning and I rang at 9am. This is the easiest point for them to charge it back as they only have to deny the direct debit. They absolutely grilled me about why I needed to stop the direct debit. Imagine the questions you'd have to go through in order to charge back the last 12 months payments. Not to mention they would actually be committing fraud and lying to a financial establishment.

I'm about to respond to an email from a customer where they want to set up direct debit after the first clean. They were honest with me, most who don't set up the direct debit aren't. I have thus far been honest with them and explained we don't have the accounting capacity to take on any further customers who aren't on direct debit. I went more hardline on direct debit just over a year ago. Every single customer who signed up since 2018 and isn't on direct debit has gone late on payments at least once (I am specifically referring to people who grumbled about the direct debit). Most of them much more than once.

I do find it amusing when people say they only accept direct debit. I can maybe believe that from a set up like Pryor's but most of them are full of :poop:. Are they seriously turning away the little old lady who is always home and happy to pay cash!?!? Doubtful.... Unless the tax man asks them of course:ROFLMAO:

It was a joke about him being northern. If you need to add context I would suggest watching an episode or two of 'Last of the Summer Wine'
I'm thinking of writing a screen play or comedy called White Watch, a bit like Dad's Army in the retained fire service. I think it would be a winner from all the stories I have heard. ?

He's likely going about it the wrong way though. The only way to legitimately do this is to put this in place for future customers, then apply it to all late payers. Let the old ones carry on as they are. I say likely as he may have done the above and then decided to work out the weeds once they became too big of a business.

The fear of someone charging back isn't a reason to avoid GC IMHO. It isn't as easy as you make out mate. Many years ago I was on my ar5e and needed to stop a direct debit. Sky were charging me for a PPV that they were meant to credit to my account. The direct debit had literally gone out that morning and I rang at 9am. This is the easiest point for them to charge it back as they only have to deny the direct debit. They absolutely grilled me about why I needed to stop the direct debit. Imagine the questions you'd have to go through in order to charge back the last 12 months payments. Not to mention they would actually be committing fraud and lying to a financial establishment.

I'm about to respond to an email from a customer where they want to set up direct debit after the first clean. They were honest with me, most who don't set up the direct debit aren't. I have thus far been honest with them and explained we don't have the accounting capacity to take on any further customers who aren't on direct debit. I went more hardline on direct debit just over a year ago. Every single customer who signed up since 2018 and isn't on direct debit has gone late on payments at least once (I am specifically referring to people who grumbled about the direct debit). Most of them much more than once.

I do find it amusing when people say they only accept direct debit. I can maybe believe that from a set up like Pryor's but most of them are full of :poop:. Are they seriously turning away the little old lady who is always home and happy to pay cash!?!? Doubtful.... Unless the tax man asks them of course:ROFLMAO:
The Cornish are a funny bunch not that there is that many of them left now ?? they don’t like the thought of someone taking money out of their account it’s difficult enough to get cash or cheque out of them , ones from up country are far more laid back , he is missing out on a lot of work as we are getting enquiries after they have spoken to him and says it’s go cardless payment only , it’s obviously his choice but it’s not an easy thing to implement here , I won’t go down that route as it would cost us a small fortune in fees and they can increase the fee as and when they want and I won’t be held to ransom by some 3rd party , each to their own i can see the attraction with it , but someone on hear did post a while ago that the customer claimed 12 months back through the bank and they could do nothing about it .

Your right that we are way behind up here. I had to drive down to Grippatank in Cambridge to get my system fitted. There is a Bill passing through Holyrood trying to ban Greyhound racing. ?
You didn't have to drive to Cambridge Daqua fits or did fit systems then you have Purefreedom, X-Line, and The Cleaning Warehouse that's 3 off the top of my head that is way North of Cambridge, also Greyhound racing is still legal south of the border,
there are plenty of villages and people's ways and mindsets that are still way behind modern times in my area was simply the point I was trying to make which is why I also used the flat cap and whippet analogy as I own both

very well put my good man, yeah I used to say no GC no window clean ? but the reality is I don't turn down old Fred or Mary and have still taken the odd bacs one on which have been spot on just the odd reminder text here and there which is no big deal

I and another window cleaner does a small scheme of mainly one and two bedroom homes. He only accepts cash and will not take anything else. I am now picking up the customers who want to pay by bank transfer. In the end, i never discriminate as long as they pay, cash, DD, BT, or SO i don't mind its the ones that fail to pay on a regular basis that i don't like and try and get them to drop me or ask them to arrange a SO.

You didn't have to drive to Cambridge Daqua fits or did fit systems then you have Purefreedom, X-Line, and The Cleaning Warehouse that's 3 off the top of my head that is way North of Cambridge, also Greyhound racing is still legal south of the border,
there are plenty of villages and people's ways and mindsets that are still way behind modern times in my area was simply the point I was trying to make which is why I also used the flat cap and whippet analogy as I own both
Grippa also do installations in Scotland now too.

The Cornish are a funny bunch not that there is that many of them left now ?? they don’t like the thought of someone taking money out of their account it’s difficult enough to get cash or cheque out of them , ones from up country are far more laid back , he is missing out on a lot of work as we are getting enquiries after they have spoken to him and says it’s go cardless payment only , it’s obviously his choice but it’s not an easy thing to implement here , I won’t go down that route as it would cost us a small fortune in fees and they can increase the fee as and when they want and I won’t be held to ransom by some 3rd party , each to their own i can see the attraction with it , but someone on hear did post a while ago that the customer claimed 12 months back through the bank and they could do nothing about it .
The world is an ever changing place mate. For everyone who doesn't want to do direct debit there is someone who prefers it. It's pretty much the same as moving people from trad to WFP. Oddly enough I'm against a cashless society. I refuse to shop somewhere that doesn't accept cash (Even if I'm paying card) but from a business perspective I need to keep up with the times. Regardless how people choose to accept payment there will be enough customers out there for them.

@Chris34 has covered this a bit but the customer is protected under the direct debit guarantee if you or the billing organisation has made an error in the payment of a direct debit, you (the bank or building society) must pay the customer a full and immediate refund no doubt the law would be coming after you as well or whoever

There is no set amount as a first clean I charge a higher price so then adjust the amount requested for the regular clean moving forward, I've had no issues in 8-9 years just been ripped off once or twice when a customer requested a chargeback basically they say they didn't sign up for my services or the direct debit but clearly did for months.
Same here no issues for years other than one chargeback for a few months work, the neighbors saw me knocking their door and asked was I owed money and said they did a bunk without paying rent and owed others money, It was a posh area too! Oh well, what can you do. GoCardles for me has been a very useful tool in automating Payment, very easy.

Latest Posts

Back