Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Leasing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

It’s also interesting to note that at the moment charging cars per kw is the same as the electric charge for your house , but the government have already said that electric for charging cars will be charged at a higher rate in the future and you will have no choise but to have a special charging point put in which will have its own electric meter . They will probably wait until more have electric cars before implementing it so as not to put too many off going down the electric route
Either that or they will lose all the duty money.

It’s also interesting to note that at the moment charging cars per kw is the same as the electric charge for your house , but the government have already said that electric for charging cars will be charged at a higher rate in the future and you will have no choise but to have a special charging point put in which will have its own electric meter . They will probably wait until more have electric cars before implementing it so as not to put too many off going down the electric route
I think most electric vehicles can be charged by what's called a 'Granny charger' which is a charger on a 13A plug - so slow but no way gov can charge extra for that way of charging.
Personally I think they will just implement road pricing for EVs maybe for all vehicles! With APNR cameras it's fairly easy to see if a vehicle has a 'road pricing gps box' or not. I don't like it but it does make sense really, charge more per mile in peak periods, cheaper for motorways more expensive in inner cities. So many ways to tweak the system to gain the revenue they want!

I think most electric vehicles can be charged by what's called a 'Granny charger' which is a charger on a 13A plug - so slow but no way gov can charge extra for that way of charging.
Personally I think they will just implement road pricing for EVs maybe for all vehicles! With APNR cameras it's fairly easy to see if a vehicle has a 'road pricing gps box' or not. I don't like it but it does make sense really, charge more per mile in peak periods, cheaper for motorways more expensive in inner cities. So many ways to tweak the system to gain the revenue they want!
From what I have been told buy a couple of garages the 13 amp plug chargers will be done away with they cannot supply enough power to charge the newer generation batteries one of them said the new chargers are 400 amps or volts or something and when you buy a new car the charger and fitting of it in your house will be included in the car price . No idea what will happen to houses that have 3-5 vehicles you can only charge one at a time ??

From what I have been told buy a couple of garages the 13 amp plug chargers will be done away with they cannot supply enough power to charge the newer generation batteries one of them said the new chargers are 400 amps or volts or something and when you buy a new car the charger and fitting of it in your house will be included in the car price . No idea what will happen to houses that have 3-5 vehicles you can only charge one at a time ??
400v is 3 phase which isn't normally available to domestic property as they alternate each phase between houses.
Most houses have 75 or 100amp main fuses so I doubt there will be an upgrade program as the supply cables would all need replacing in the street.
Phasing out the 13amp charger capability would help gov tax charging vehicles but would hinder recovery of discharged batteries as not many small gennys do 3 phase.
It's an interesting topic as gov rely on fuel duty and road fund licensing fees and that has to be replaced somehow.

400v is 3 phase which isn't normally available to domestic property as they alternate each phase between houses.
Most houses have 75 or 100amp main fuses so I doubt there will be an upgrade program as the supply cables would all need replacing in the street.
Phasing out the 13amp charger capability would help gov tax charging vehicles but would hinder recovery of discharged batteries as not many small gennys do 3 phase.
It's an interesting topic as gov rely on fuel duty and road fund licensing fees and that has to be replaced somehow.
I'm thinking of buying more solar panels and fitting them on my hut. They are getting better all the time and now 23% efficient rather than my old ones at 15%. Solar and batteries is the future but prices remain high.

Oh! So they want us to make a 4 or 5 year decision based on shifting sands.

I also wonder how it will work if you have a solar panel array on the roof.

We also did hear that the grid could draw power from every plugged in electric vehicle at peak times and replenish this during off-peak times. I did ask how the cost of this would be metered per KW, but he hadn't thought about that.

We also did hear that the grid could draw power from every plugged in electric vehicle at peak times and replenish this during off-peak times. I did ask how the cost of this would be metered per KW, but he hadn't thought about that.it will be interesting ti see what happens with it all , what I have said was told to my by my local Audi dealer .

Our customer who oversees 250 lease cars contacted the staff who were due to replace their cars in the coming 18 months. A large portion of those wouldn't consider a full EV at the moment, as future government taxation isn't assured and the rising cost of electricity.

It was the same 20 years ago when the swing was toward LPG conversion of petrol guzzling 4 x 4's. The government wouldn't rule out future taxing of LPG to match petrol and diesel. They were promoting these conversions to go toward 'cleaning up the environment' but wouldn't commit to a long term taxation policy. In the end, LPG taxation was held down; people who took a chance gained, but there were plenty who didn't go LPG because of government's dilly-dallying.

We also did hear that the grid could draw power from every plugged in electric vehicle at peak times and replenish this during off-peak times. I did ask how the cost of this would be metered per KW, but he hadn't thought about that.
I have been looking at solar panels and batteries and as you say 4 or 5 year guessing what the gov might do is not a risk I am willing to take at the moment.

I believe that all smart meters are able to measure electricity coming into or out of your house. So technically the grid know when you are putting power into the grid but I don't think they currently know where it's coming from i.e. it could be solar, wind, home battery, or vehicle battery! Maybe the meter that will be part of the ev charger will be able to monitor discharge of ev battery to grid and pay/discount your bill that way? This could be the govs way to 'sell' ev charging taxation - i.e. that you get money back therefore reducing the tax if you allow national grid to use some of your battery capacity at peak periods. I think that the rules have recently changed so that all new ev chargers are set by default not to charge during peak demand periods (4pm to 7pm) I think, plus I think, they must have a connection to the internet for future control.

It's all very complex when you start looking at the bigger picture - i.e. power generation, grid distribution, smoothing peak demands, local substation capacity, not to mention replacing the tax on petrol/diesel.
There are so many ideas being floated about it is confusing, thinks like paying people to cut their usage during peak demand, smart energy pricing (Octopus already have a variable pricing tariff).

We are just doing what we believe will save us money on energy use like having the loft room insulated (tomorrow!) and cavity wall insulation, maybe smart radiator trvs, a few smart plugs, etc

Its going to be a nightmare to police. I'm looking into getting some more solar panels for my big shed but sold out. Due in on November but i guess other folk are thinking down the same path and they sell out quickly. You can get panels that achieve 550 watts an hour now but a bit bigger in size. Some even come with micro inverters installed in them. ?

I have been looking at solar panels and batteries and as you say 4 or 5 year guessing what the gov might do is not a risk I am willing to take at the moment.

I believe that all smart meters are able to measure electricity coming into or out of your house. So technically the grid know when you are putting power into the grid but I don't think they currently know where it's coming from i.e. it could be solar, wind, home battery, or vehicle battery! Maybe the meter that will be part of the ev charger will be able to monitor discharge of ev battery to grid and pay/discount your bill that way? This could be the govs way to 'sell' ev charging taxation - i.e. that you get money back therefore reducing the tax if you allow national grid to use some of your battery capacity at peak periods. I think that the rules have recently changed so that all new ev chargers are set by default not to charge during peak demand periods (4pm to 7pm) I think, plus I think, they must have a connection to the internet for future control.

It's all very complex when you start looking at the bigger picture - i.e. power generation, grid distribution, smoothing peak demands, local substation capacity, not to mention replacing the tax on petrol/diesel.
There are so many ideas being floated about it is confusing, thinks like paying people to cut their usage during peak demand, smart energy pricing (Octopus already have a variable pricing tariff).

We are just doing what we believe will save us money on energy use like having the loft room insulated (tomorrow!) and cavity wall insulation, maybe smart radiator trvs, a few smart plugs, etc
True. (In red). But what happens if they can fall back on your EV to provide power in peak periods and leave you with a depleted battery, and then there is an emergency and no car available as it has a 'flat' battery?

True. (In red). But what happens if they can fall back on your EV to provide power in peak periods and leave you with a depleted battery, and then there is an emergency and no car available as it has a 'flat' battery?
I agree, I assume there will be some sort of limits of how depleted your battery can be. It's also a bit of a flawed scheme as people will drive home depleting their battery and then the national grid wants more power from your battery when you want to charge it!

I think it's mega complex to work out a system that works for everyone and benefits the grid. Not to mention gov don't have best reputation for getting complex systems to work or even different departments to talk to each other.....

I think the current situation with power generation and the prices has caught the gov out big time and I'm not sure they really are trying to sort this out long term in a joined up way.
Even if they just specified all new builds had to have 4Kw of solar and ev chargers that would help, maybe even increase the insulation standards would help. OK so house prices would go up but by less than 10K and with the cost of houses so high at the moment 10K won't really make that much difference in fact the difference in mortgage would probably be off set by the energy savings made.
Change planning rules so that commercial buildings have to have be more energy efficient - long term extra costs will be offset by reduced bills.

im keeping this van once its payed ill finance a streamline hot water heater , the good thing about finance it its a good expence over time tax relefe if you pay off in one hit you lose money
I believe that the cost of a hot water system should come under 'capital expenditure' so you can offset 100% in the same year - check with an accountant though.

im keeping this van once its payed ill finance a streamline hot water heater , the good thing about finance it its a good expence over time tax relefe if you pay off in one hit you lose money
I have been saving up the cash when I have wanted to buy equipment. It has good and bad performance to this mindset. It holds ones company back because you need to save up and then buy the stuff but if you borrow then you have the stuff earlier and begin earning more right away. The plus side is you have no money worries about paying for the stuff and the earning gradually increases. So one is going with the flow and monthly takings are rising exponentially. Take today, delivery driver called me to see if I'm in to collect shelves. I said in all afternoon so he arrived at 3pm. I know him now after 5 deliveries so gave him a tip for the help he gave me. he said have you a card because my company has moved into new warehouse and are looking for a window cleaner. So i might get the contract to clean windows and outside cladding win win situation.?

I believe that the cost of a hot water system should come under 'capital expenditure' so you can offset 100% in the same year - check with an accountant though.
I have to finance it as streamline want over 5k for there hot heater but if it goes wrong there local to be so can take it back ide luv a grippa heater but to far away ?

It's very easy to get into leasing with minimal deposit etc, but once someone is on the leasing treadmill, it becomes more difficult to get off. As @matt1458 says, the next deal could well be more expensive. Yes, the price of vehicles has increased considerably in recent years, but what will @matt1458 do? How will he manage his own expectations? Will he still lease again at a higher price to drive a brand-new vehicle, or will he be content to go back to an old banger? How will his customer's react? Will they see him as overcharging if he went from a new van to an old banger?
Was keen to hear how my story would play out! ??

Agreed the leasing world is easy to fall into the trap of unless you have at least a bit of a plan from the get go and are willing to deal with the agro of it. As mentioned above the likes of Vanarama aren’t even worth dealing with, their advertised prices are nothing like the quote you’ll ever be given.

Getting the van on a 1 + 35 lease agreement worked perfectly for me for startup, we then factor vehicle replacement in the same way we would depreciation (I’ve added another vehicle since then) into our gross profit calculation so that when that vehicle goes back the business is better positioned finically to consider alternative options in the 2/3/4 years you’ve spent earning money from it. Also being VAT registered helps in this circumstance but then will depend on how much of your work is residential vs commercial etc.

Ultimately it always comes down to which manufacturers have excess vehicle stock in the docks / unsold and in storage at the time you’re looking, so don’t ever expect to be picky about the spec or make / model if you want a deal, but bearing in mind the amount of platform sharing that goes in in vans these days there are really only a handful of different floorplans across every van, it’s just the badge and grille that changes by manufacturer. The issue currently is there is very little unsold / storage vehicle stock since 2020, hence the increase in prices. I once leased a brand new (overstocked) Mercedes E class coupe for £200 a month. That deal would probably be £600 these days.

To add to my story we’re about 10 months away from vehicle #1 being returned, considering current prices I’ll be looking at either refinancing and keeping it another couple of years, or I’d be open to a lease purchase now agreement as the business is in a much more established position now

Latest Posts

Back