Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Looking for a waterproof coat

WCF

Help Support WCF:

CleanDeeper

I know this has been asked many times, in fact I’ve had a search and seen some older posts but I just wondered what the latest opinion is. I need a waterproof light weight coat, I get hot easily so don’t really want anything too padded. I’m a shorts in all weather kind of guy (idiot ?).

I would like something that’s black and I can get signed up with my logo. Also any recommendation on supplier that can do the logo for me. I used SP Workwear last time for my uniform but it was really slow turn around, which in fairness might be the norm!

Any advice please ?

I know this has been asked many times, in fact I’ve had a search and seen some older posts but I just wondered what the latest opinion is. I need a waterproof light weight coat, I get hot easily so don’t really want anything too padded. I’m a shorts in all weather kind of guy (idiot ?).

I would like something that’s black and I can get signed up with my logo. Also any recommendation on supplier that can do the logo for me. I used SP Workwear last time for my uniform but it was really slow turn around, which in fairness might be the norm!

Any advice please ?
Come on man!
Just go into a store, try out a few jackets of your choice and colour , see how they are rated against water, buy one , and done deal! Why over-complicate such a simple task??

Last edited:
Come on man!
Just go into a store, try out a few jackets of your choice and colour , see how they are rated against water, buy one , and done deal! ?
I want my logo on it so it’s not as straight forward as that. I’ve looked at places like decathlon and gooutdoors but it’s mostly own brand stuff which you can’t buy from somewhere you can get your logo added.

I’ve read a few posts recommending the regatta dover jacket which you can still buy but wondered if it’s still recommended. I mean this is a forum for advice and general chat so why not ask? Get the view of many that have already bought and tried, some will say what to avoid etc. not really sure why people comment like this on forums…. It’s the whole point of the forum

I want my logo on it so it’s not as straight forward as that. I’ve looked at places like decathlon and gooutdoors but it’s mostly own brand stuff which you can’t buy from somewhere you can get your logo added.

I’ve read a few posts recommending the regatta dover jacket which you can still buy but wondered if it’s still recommended. I mean this is a forum for advice and general chat so why not ask? Get the view of many that have already bought and tried, some will say what to avoid etc. not really sure why people comment like this on forums…. It’s the whole point of the forum
It is a forum for advice, but it kinda annoys me,seeing a trend, where more and more people expect every single little decision to be made for them , like no one wants to make their own experiences and or, research. Especially the newer guys. See it everywhere in society, they expect all things, and knowledge to be handed to them without any effort on their own part.

It is a forum for advice, but it kinda annoys me,seeing a trend, where more and more people expect every single little decision to be made for them , like no one wants to make their own experiences and or, research. Especially the newer guys. See it everywhere in society, they expect all things, and knowledge to be handed to them without any effort on their own part.
That’s a bit deep but I get what you’re saying! I have actually worked in retail selling waterproof jackets and let me tell you it’s a minefield! Many advertised as waterproof when they are not, some shower proof which isn’t basically rubbish however you can get shower proof ones that better than so called waterproof ones.

Also to add I worked for and ran a good sized round for someone before going on my own. I have built my round up from nothing by myself. Maybe asked the odd question but mostly posted my journey for others to read. I have designed my own logo, flyers, built my own website, canvassed my own work, bought my own choice of tools for the job and so on. So I wouldn’t say I fall into that category but also don’t feel that’s a bad thing, everyone starts from somewhere and tbf where best to go for all the information than a dedicated windows cleaning forum? ?

Last edited:
That’s a bit deep but I get what you’re saying! I have actually worked in retail selling waterproof jackets and let me tell you it’s a minefield! Many advertised as waterproof when they are not, some shower proof which isn’t basically rubbish however you can get shower proof ones that better than so called waterproof ones.
Ok Buddy?! Sorry if i Sounded a bit harsh, but i see this trend all over, but best of luck coat hunting?

You want Goretex but lots of different grades of it.... The cheap ones are nothing like the expensive ones... You want something that won't get ripped on a bush.

Ideally you want something decent so look for something like this - 3-layer GORE-TEX Pro 40D fabric with 80D reinforcements

You want Goretex but lots of different grades of it.... The cheap ones are nothing like the expensive ones... You want something that won't get ripped on a bush.

Ideally you want something decent so look for something like this - 3-layer GORE-TEX Pro 40D fabric with 80D reinforcements
Thanks, I have sold gore-tex jackets before and they was 100% waterproof, not sure on the rating but they was very stiff when wearing them. Like having a cardboard coat on, any you recommend?

Also to add I worked for and ran a good sized round for someone before going on my own. I have built my round up from nothing by myself. Maybe asked the odd question but mostly posted my journey for others to read. I have designed my own logo, flyers, built my own website, canvassed my own work, bought my own choice of tools for the job and so on. So I wouldn’t say I fall into that category but also don’t feel that’s a bad thing, everyone starts from somewhere and tbf where best to go for all the information than a dedicated windows cleaning forum? ?
One thing to be mindful of is if you get a gortex jacket then have a logo stitched into it it will leak ware the stitching is or that’s what I have found in the past , we don’t have logos on our jackets any more due to this , if doing a job that needs a logod jacket we just put our hi vis jacket on over the normal jacket

I’ve read a few posts recommending the regatta dover jacket which you can still buy but wondered if it’s still recommended.
You'll sweat like a bear in a sauna if you usually get hot they aren't the most breathable of jackets and your legs will end up wet with the water running off.~

Work jackets aren't usually that good I've bought ones from a local supplier and had them logoed and I've never been happy with the quality and longevity more so the more expensive ones, my advice is to buy a decent waterproof hiking jacket you know you'll be happy with and potentially forget about getting logoed, I am going to wear an old Elka raincoat that I've hardly worn but has been in my wardrobe for about 4 years

Thanks for the reply’s so far, I remember researched about a year ago and there was a jacket that was highly recommended I just can’t remember what it was. From memory it was about £110ish, light weight thing. I’ll do some more digging and see if I can find it and see what your thoughts are.

Anyone used decathlon? Wonder what something cheap like this would be like:

The trouble is with this one you'll be paying £20+ for the fleece that grey front will end up looking dirty quite quickly and get ingrained into the fabric, better off with black,

ELKA Jacket 306600 these used to a lot more expensive years ago they were designed for fishermen in Denmark I have a full length one in grey and blue

Think I’m going to pop in decathlon and look at some in store, try them on etc. I’ll forget the logo ??

Seen this one too, doesn’t look to bad:

Anyone used decathlon? Wonder what something cheap like this would be like:

I use a decathlon coat that I bought about 15 years ago before I started window cleaning. It's been absolutely brilliant, there is no lining so it's very thin but it's windproof so it actually does a good job at keeping the cold out. I've worn it in torrential rain where my caps got soaked through and my feet and shorts are soaking, but taken off the coat to find my t-shirt is dry. The arms get wet when it's torrential rain but that just means it's my skin getting wet (wearing a t-shirt underneath).

I used to cycle to work and got it for cycling originally and used it for a couple of years cycling to work in all weathers. I've not checked decathlon since so I don't know whether what range they sell now... but at the time they had jackets in multiple departments like cycling, fishing, running, hiking, sailing etc. I checked all the coats in every department, the cycling ones were not up to the job, I could tell that they wouldn't keep me dry, similar story with the other departments, then I thought about which activity would you need a proper waterproof jacket? Sailing... the sailing section had better rated jackets, same price as the cycling but they had a much better rating for wind resistance and water resistance.

So check I'd check out the sailing section and see what they have. I think the one I've got will last me till the day I die so I won't need anything else. When it gets cold I just where a thin thermal jumper underneath it.

Latest Posts

Back