Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Resin only, one pump, two reels.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Joshbox

Hey

I started running with resin only a little while back. I have tap water in the tank and run tank>pump>2 x 11lt di vessels > pole - which has worked great.

I now need to run another reel for a second worker. To avoid the cost of setting up another two di vessels, is thinking of running both from one pump and having a splitter after the di vessels.

Does anyone have an educated insight into how this will effect resin usage? I have tested it and I can get a good pressure from both poles when I'm running at around 45/100 on the pump.

My tap water is around 240ppm and I'm changing one di vessel every 5-6 weeks currently

Get an ro. They're a big investment but you'll save a fortune... generally when you run 2 reels from one pump it'll end up flooding out of one brush and trickling out of the other...

Get an ro. They're a big investment but you'll save a fortune... generally when you run 2 reels from one pump it'll end up flooding out of one brush and trickling out of the other...
Thanks, I have an RO which I used for years but can not use since I moved house. There no issue with pressure on either pole, I am specifically asking about the functionality and longevity of the resin

Because you would be using only 2 di vessels to purify your water into your tank meaning you wouldn't have the expense of buying more di vessels. @spruce could prob answer this better
While that is true, Resin is used much quicker coming off an outside tap as opposed to the pump.

I've just set up 2 di too but I use it to fill the tank with pure, too complicated doing it en route. I'm trying to figure out how much it's going to cost me for if it's worth investing in ro and my TDS is the same as yours. How many litres do you use a week? Or how many litres before you change a di's resin?

I

I've just set up 2 di too but I use it to fill the tank with pure, too complicated doing it en route. I'm trying to figure out how much it's going to cost me for if it's worth investing in ro and my TDS is the same as yours. How many litres do you use a week? Or how many litres before you change a di's resin?
I'm using around 1000l a week have been changing around every 5/6 weeks. How about you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys just reading through comments if it helps I just bought a new Di only system from WCW all set up and that is Di after pump ....this must be best method if its from new and setup
Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
Thanks mate, it certainly is the best method for Resin preservation. I'm just wondering if having the two reels running off one pump is going to mess with the resin effectiveness

The slower you run your water through the resin vessels the more effective the process will be. So by having 2 operators using the same resin you can expect it to be less efficient.

Your problem will be more focused on water usage. You will need to increase the flow using one pump for 2 operators. But the drawback is when one of the operators switches his tap off. The remaining operator will get a rush of water to his pole, so I envisage more water going to waste and hence more resin usage.

But it appears by your post that this is how you want to work it, so just do it that way and monitor your resin usage remembering that you will probably have to replace resin every couple of weeks rather than what you do now.

We don't know your setup, but as has been pointed out the best way of running a 2 man system is purifying water whilst you are filling the tank and then adding a second pump and controller. But if you only have a limited time to fill the tank with water this changes things.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not currently filling mine particularly slowly and I have only just started filtering with 2 x di so I will let you know how quickly mine runs out. If you get 10,000 litres from £80 bag of resin that's amazing, if I can match it I don't think I will go to ro

I'm not currently filling mine particularly slowly and I have only just started filtering with 2 x di so I will let you know how quickly mine runs out. If you get 10,000 litres from £80 bag of resin that's amazing, if I can match it I don't think I will go to ro
So much of water purification is down to what is comfortable and works for you. If this is easiest and it works then that's fine. There are just so may different factors that come into the decision making equation and all have an impact on how we do things.

I have a bad back and in constant pain in varying degrees. So I would shy away from resin purification only as I find its a nightmare trying to empty a di vessel of spent resin. If back issues are not a problem then that won't be a consideration. It won't even be on your list of 'against' where it will be on the top of mine.

The slower you run your water through the resin vessels the more effective the process will be. So by having 2 operators using the same resin you can expect it to be less efficient.
Your problem will be more focused on water usage. You will need to increase the flow using one pump for 2 operators. But the drawback is when one of the operators switches his tap off. The remaining operator will get a rush of water to his pole, so I envisage more water going to waste and hence more resin usage.

But it appears by your post that this is how you want to work it, so just do it that way and monitor your resin usage remembering that you will probably have to replace resin every couple of weeks rather than what you do now.

We don't know your setup, but as has been pointed out the best way of running a 2 man system is purifying water whilst you are filling the tank and then adding a second pump and controller. But if you only have a limited time to fill the tank with water this changes things.
Thanks Spruce, really helpful feedback.

I agree, filling pure into the tank and running a second pump is certainly more straight forward and dependable than my current set up. I'll be interested to see how it compares in resin usage - if there is little or no difference I will switch over to purifying into the tank.

My time is limited as I have to fill up from a friends outside tap. Currently takes around 20 minutes to fill but I could probably spare an hour if need be.

Thanks Spruce, really helpful feedback.
I agree, filling pure into the tank and running a second pump is certainly more straight forward and dependable than my current set up. I'll be interested to see how it compares in resin usage - if there is little or no difference I will switch over to purifying into the tank.

My time is limited as I have to fill up from a friends outside tap. Currently takes around 20 minutes to fill but I could probably spare an hour if need be.
I wondered as much.

Well explained spruce.

Saving money makes me comfortable and makes my back feel easier too.

I will keep on throwing water in as fast as I can and keep a track of how long it lasts. I'm only about 1000 litres in at the moment because of a quiet couple of weeks

Well explained spruce.
Saving money makes me comfortable and makes my back feel easier too.

I will keep on throwing water in as fast as I can and keep a track of how long it lasts. I'm only about 1000 litres in at the moment because of a quiet couple of weeks
Let us know how you get on Sam

Around 250 ppm so the same as joshbox, which is why it will be interesting to see how much difference it makes because we have pretty much the same set up but with different methods of using it. But I am quite new to filtering my own water so I haven't had to change my resin yet, can't comment yet on the economy of it, but I love how quick it is.

i bought a float valve from screwfix and fitted it to the top of my tank and it auto cuts off water flow when it's full which is great. 

Also I managed to wedge a 1/2 inch hose pipe with an insert inside into a 15mm John guest fitting and it is water tight. Anyone else use good quality garden hose straight into John guest?

Around 250 ppm so the same as joshbox, which is why it will be interesting to see how much difference it makes because we have pretty much the same set up but with different methods of using it. But I am quite new to filtering my own water so I haven't had to change my resin yet, can't comment yet on the economy of it, but I love how quick it is.

i bought a float valve from screwfix and fitted it to the top of my tank and it auto cuts off water flow when it's full which is great. 

Also I managed to wedge a 1/2 inch hose pipe with an insert inside into a 15mm John guest fitting and it is water tight. Anyone else use good quality garden hose straight into John guest?
Thank you sam for the reply, can you let us know when your first resin change is, just to see how long it lasts with a high tds, thanks.

Latest Posts

Back