Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Lower Back Pain?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Pit Creature

I've noticed getting a bit of lower back pain recently. It could be nothing to do with the job but I don't know. Maybe I'm just getting older?!

Does anyone else get lower back pain that they think could be caused by cleaning windows with a water fed pole?

Almost every injury I've had in the last 12 years has been work related hard to say if wfp is causing your pain, if you are using a 25ft pole as a daily pole and big hefty brush then drop to a 22ft pole and Xtreme brush
Yeah, I'm using a 25 SLX with a sill brush. I've never noticed it feeling heavy but I suppose muscle tension can build up. Cheers.

Yeah, I'm using a 25 SLX with a sill brush. I've never noticed it feeling heavy but I suppose muscle tension can build up. Cheers.
Way to heavy a set up in my opinion, I recently dropped some high level jobs and the difference it has made on certain days has been really positive as I was getting shoulder and neck pain.

My daily is a 22ft SLX with Xtreme sill brush it's like holding a broom shank in my hands.

Last edited:
I've noticed getting a bit of lower back pain recently. It could be nothing to do with the job but I don't know. Maybe I'm just getting older?!

Does anyone else get lower back pain that they think could be caused by cleaning windows with a water fed pole?
I suggest giving osteopathy a try; it effectively relieved a back pain in just two sessions.

Yeah, I do. I'm wondering if it's the gym or the job or my sofa that's causing the problem!
Much of my lower back pain was aggravated by a deep sofa that encouraged slouching, I now have an old man’s upright chair that supports good posture. It has helped a great deal.
I also visit a good chiropractor when I start to feel any stiffness or tension and if needed a day or two off. I’ve found with my back prevention is better that cure.
I run a setup of 18ft slx and extreme brush for 95% of my jobs so light set up.

Almost every injury I've had in the last 12 years has been work related hard to say if wfp is causing your pain, if you are using a 25ft pole as a daily pole and big hefty brush then drop to a 22ft pole and Xtreme brush
@Pit Creature I totally agree with @Iron Giant . I used to work with a 25 foot pole and a standard brush. Switched to an 18 foot SLX pole and an Xtreme Sill brush and have never looked back. I actually have extensions 5 and 6 to take it up to 27 feet (if needed) but will always use the 18 foot pole and a lightweight brush whenever possible. You will definitely be putting alot of strain on yourself. I did try using a slightly heavier brush a few months ago, as I was thinking it would make first cleans easier than using an Xtreme brush because it would have more scrubbing power and therefore less passes on the window, but I was wrong, all it did was make my arms and shoulders ache quicker. Heaviest I use now is a flocked ultimate brush for leaded windows, or sometimes I use a medium supreme - but I always find myself going back to the Xtreme brushes whenever possible. Hope you're back pain starts to ease off mate ?

@Pit Creature I totally agree with @Iron Giant . I used to work with a 25 foot pole and a standard brush. Switched to an 18 foot SLX pole and an Xtreme Sill brush and have never looked back. I actually have extensions 5 and 6 to take it up to 27 feet (if needed) but will always use the 18 foot pole and a lightweight brush whenever possible. You will definitely be putting alot of strain on yourself. I did try using a slightly heavier brush a few months ago, as I was thinking it would make first cleans easier than using an Xtreme brush because it would have more scrubbing power and therefore less passes on the window, but I was wrong, all it did was make my arms and shoulders ache quicker. Heaviest I use now is a flocked ultimate brush for leaded windows, or sometimes I use a medium supreme - but I always find myself going back to the Xtreme brushes whenever possible. Hope you're back pain starts to ease off mate ?
Must add to this that I started using Xtreme poles maybe around 8-9 years ago and I have still had injuries but Xtreme 22ft was just my daily, not my bigger poles which don't get that much use in comparison which are SLX, I was using a 45ft pole on some jobs but dropped some of those and have managed to do some with a shorter 35-37ft pole I got the most grief and fatigue on the days I need to use the 45ft even though it was only a few jobs at most 2 days in the month and had one well paid job that has just dropped until Spring :rolleyes: so sections 9 & 10 are now in the graveyard aka my garage and may or may not be brought back into use.

I get very used to one brush and find it hard to use any other once I am stuck on one, I've got brand new brushes and ones only used a handful of times sat collecting, they might get used one day but most likely not

Use extreme poles and brushes

Limit your cleaning hours to 5 or 6 hours a day.

Have 3 day weekends every week

Limit add on jobs like conny roofs and gutter/fascia cleans

Learn basic yoga exercises and practice them daily for 10 mins

Resistance train in the gym 3 times a week

Eat a mainly real food diet and Limit ultra processed foods

Try and get at least 6 or 7 hours sleep per night.

Have one day a week where you do very little!(relax!)

If your a regular in the gym are you lifting too heavy?(deadlifts,squats)or lifting your bum off the seat when leg pressing?be careful as you can really cause yourself serious injury if your form goes.. ..

Training with weights helps condition your body for any manual labour work.
Rubbish my man has training with weights just builds muscle which in turn whill suck 75 per cent of your oxygen this lads got a serious question his not a silly gym freek have now got sciatica after years of lower back pain thares nothing you can do
Medical staff are right keep active but am 6foot so any bending can set it of personal I wouldn't worry just get on with hit if your not doubled up in agony and unable to work just carry on thare is a lot of bending in window cleaning with out mentionin the poles believe me has you haven't elaborated if your back was goin to give way it would of by now

Latest Posts

Back