Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Making the switch....

WCF

Help Support WCF:

It all seems overwhelming but it's a great journey & before you know it you will be wishing you started the pole sooner. I was slow first just getting basic system with Di vessel connecting to there tap but only realised after a year that water too hard wasn't dropping to 00 was around 70 fortunately was only using on upstairs ? them onto trolley which is brilliant & is easier than van mount on a few jobs but overall van feels easier just because everything in one place & found as trolley had cheaper pump/battery things don't last like van mount. If I had bigger van & not so tight would have both.

Happy New Year. Once again really appreciate all the comments and support. 

So over the last few days I've been going to and fro between the backpack, trolley and van with van mounted system. Obviously the van would make life easiest, but is most the expensive option and would mean having to fork out for a van as well. Also where I currently live, I'm quite anxious about if I had a van that it would get broken in too. I live in a terraced house with on street parking. Someone stole my ladders last year, the one night when I didn't lock them on and it really buggered me up. Anyway with the back pack and the pole I will be able to store it in the house and looking to move in two years time anyway so hopefully gives me a bit of a time to get in to the swing of things and build up to a van mount. Gonna be a big learning curve for me, but excited for finally going down this route. 

A lot of what your asking is personal preference so the following is just my opinion. 
You will find the clx far more bendy and whippy when extended. I have the 18 in both clx and slx and the difference is very noticeable even at 18ft. 
Another thing to consider is the length collapsed if it’s going in the car. 
I’d recommend the slx 22 and buy the clx extension #6. The 22 is slightly shorter which also makes it easier when using it in tight spaces. You can put the extension on when you need it but have a lighter pole when you don’t. 

It’s around £70 more but should last you a couple of years at least so not even a £1 a week more. 
I only really use two brushes. The super lite mixed medium and the ultimate flocked single trimmed. The ultimate is for leaded and wooden windows and the mixed for everything else. 

Standard pole set up is the free angle adaptor and the pencil jets with all season pole hose. You get a free brush with the pole so will need to order another if you have the same two as me. Yes more money I’m afraid. The connector is up to you but make sure it’s the same as the backpack options you select. If you get hose lock you can connect the pole to outside taps for cleaning fsg and Connie roofs. 

You will get through a lot of water so I hope your friends got a big RO system. 
Another thing you may want is a univalve to stop the water flow. If you search on here you’ll find out more. 

It all seems a lot of money at first but getting the right kit is key and will last rather than cutting corners and then upgrading later on. 
I’m sure others will have different opinions on the above. 

I'm going for the Gardiner Backpack with the SLX pole and the two brush heads you've suggested. I think the 22 is ideal for the majority of my work. But having the bigger pole would be ideal, so if I go for it all being SLX instead of the CLX extension piece, would you advise to get the smaller pole 22 and the extension part separate than just going for the SLX 27. Like I say I will be bringing this in and out of my house on a daily basis so just trying to make it as light as possible where I can. In regards to the angle adapter, would you advise going for the long one? Always want to make sure I can scrub the window ledges down as well as I can, so not sure if that makes a difference? All season hose is fine and figured out the adapters etc... Another question not to pepper your head TWC about the ultimate which you've said is better for leads and wooden frames.  Which brush head do you go for in situations where part of the window unit is leaded glass and plain glass? Or houses that are mixed panes?

We use the CLX27 and it's a very good pole to learn with, and is tremendous value for money. What I would say is if you have a full round you will find this pole heavy. I appreciate that if you're trad then you will be fit however you will be using different muscles so you might struggle. A light brush will be a big help for you. The alternative is to slowly convert your round and start by doing tops only and continue to trad the ground floor until you can get a van, upgrade your pole and make your own water.

Yeah I think going for the lighter option will definitely be worth it. Thank you that's the route I will go down in terms of slowly switching the customers over. No more scrimming leads (hopefully).

Get a

Gardiner backpack + a trolley

22ft clx + univalve

and a few 25l water barrels

that will give you a taste of everything without spending a fortune. The backpack will still be useful when you decide to go for a van mount.
The 22ft will reach a lot of domestic work and will likely become your go to pole covering 90% of your work. Fitting it with a univalve is invaluable for controlling water usage especially with the back pack.

using a pole at 40ft + takes a bit of skill that needs developing from working at a lower height. 

Highly recommend this as a trolley https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Handy-Folding-Sack-Truck/283622466443?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=283622466443&targetid=1000553344282&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=9045743&campaignid=10199631727&mkgroupid=105678531007&rlsatarget=pla-1000553344282&abcId=1145987&merchantid=107374839&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjNDii9j17QIVB57tCh388gmfEAQYASABEgLZm_D_BwE&pageci=89ccea94-ab2b-46b8-b84a-deaa44d64943&epid=2254530540
Will go for this trolley and get some cambuckles for it. Just to confirm are the univalves are okay with the backpack?

My friend has a full ro and di system. I've been researching and the water is mod soft in our area, so could possibly purify the water with just a di vessel. But obviously this depends on the use and amount of water I will use. So I've got something to make a start and can weigh up all the costs when I get in to it.

Cheers

David

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Not sure about the long angle adapter, that will flex more which isn't great in use. A better option is a carbon gooseneck but of course that is £££.

Good luck with your project.

I’d go for the lightest pole possible. If you say the 22 is enough for most of your work then get that and an extension for when you need it. I use an slx 18 for about 95% of my work and have a extreme 25 for anything else and 2 extensions to fit on that for a couple of  higher jobs. 
As @Part Timer says I’d stick with the standard gooseneck rather than a longer one.
Lots of people love the swivel neck but I’ve tried it and didn’t get on with it but again it’s personal preference. 
With the brushes I use the flocked for anything that has lead or paint on. The mixed medium could lift the lead and will damage painted windows. If it’s a house with standard upvc windows and no lead but just the front door is paint or lead I’d use the medium on everything but only clean the glass on the front door and wipe the rest of the door down at the end. If it’s lead on the door you can sometimes clean it very gently with the medium. Certainly no rough scrubbing. 
The univalve will work with both the back pack or a trolly. Almost all pumps have a pressure switch so when you close the univalve the pressure builds and the switch kicks in and stops the pump. Just don’t leave it turned on for ages like this as it can damage the pressure switch if left like it. If it’s going to be more than a few mins turn it off. I don’t think it’s a bad idea when packing away for the day to turn off the pump and just open the univalve for a couple of seconds to release the pressure rather than leave it pressurised all night. 
Hope that helps

Get either an extra length of pole hose or an extra long pole hose to save you having to keep moving the back pack on each window.

With a longer hose you should often be able to put it at the corner of a house and do 2 sides without keep moving it ?

Hi Everyone,

Took your great advice and got the gear suggested. Ended up opting for the pure freedom nano trolley over the backpack. First day of use today and my arms are already aching and gonna take some time to get the hang of it. 

Only thing is the water seems to spraying back out of the pencil jets towards me, but is coming out of the side it’s meant to be. Not got the pressure on to high either. I know some people suggest to go for the brass jets over the plastic ones. Am I doing something wrong? Used so much water on just a few windows feel a bit deflated, but know I will get there in time. I’ve fitted the univalve as well and am using 5mm all season gardiner hose. 

I have packed it all away and trading for the rest of the day. We go again tomorrow haha.

Thanks.

Hi Everyone,

Took your great advice and got the gear suggested. Ended up opting for the pure freedom nano trolley over the backpack. First day of use today and my arms are already aching and gonna take some time to get the hang of it. 

Only thing is the water seems to spraying back out of the pencil jets towards me, but is coming out of the side it’s meant to be. Not got the pressure on to high either. I know some people suggest to go for the brass jets over the plastic ones. Am I doing something wrong? Used so much water on just a few windows feel a bit deflated, but know I will get there in time. I’ve fitted the univalve as well and am using 5mm all season gardiner hose. 

I have packed it all away and trading for the rest of the day. We go again tomorrow haha.

Thanks.
I use the new plastic jets and never had this, as @ched999uk said make sure the tube is pushed all of the way in to the connector. It almost feels like a bump when it goes all the way in.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks.
A few years back I past some work onto a young husband and wife team that were converting to wfp.

She had an 18' SLX and he had a 25' SLX, both with Gardiner Sill brushes. She could hardly pick up the pole to clean ground floor windows. I had a couple of customer's comment about this.

Last year I happened to be parked up in a cul de sac off the road they were cleaning. She is using a longer pole than the 18 footer she started with and I was impressed at the way she handled that pole.

It reminds me back in my Bosch days. We had a sales lady who wasn't even 5' and very petite. Yet she would have no issue doing a demo for a customer with the USH28 paving breaker, which weighed 28kgs. She would lift it in and out of her car, fit the chisels and do a really good demonstration.

Just keep practising, preferrably on you own windows over and over again until you get the hang of it.

The clx27 is only 7cm longer than the clx22 but it is 380gms heavier! Remember that Gardiner state the actual length of the pole not the height you can reach. 

A backpack can be strapped (not bungie) to a good trolley - something like a 'Handy brand trolley' they are collapsible and have puncture proof tyres. They are a bit difficult to get hold of at moment but they are probably the best at a decent price of around £50 (some sellers are jacking prices up as supply is difficult).
‘The clx27 is only 7cm longer than the clx22’ ?? Are you talking about the closed length? It’s nearly 5 foot longer extended. 

Hi Everyone,

Thanks.
I can relate to feeling deflated when your changing over, I started thinking oh no what have I done. But it’s similar to learning how to trad when you first start out it feels alien and takes forever, just stick at it and eventually everything clicks and you’ll be glad you persevered - eventually it will knock hours off your work and is safer so it’s a win win 

Gave them a good push and felt them click properly.

Been much better using the wfp over the past few days. Mostly trad work but using it on the leaded jobs which is a dream and on the difficult windows, even ones I’ve had to miss for years over conservatory’s etc. Using a lot of water though. Only have 125l on me as my car is limited. I seem to be going through a barrel on each job if I do the full house. Obviously in a way it’s the  first clean as even though as a trad cleaner I always wipe ledges and the frames. The brushes get in all the nooks and crannies. So hopefully next times on those jobs should be a bit quicker. Looking at getting a van. A lot of changes being made this year. Appreciate all the help ?

Gave them a good push and felt them click properly.

Been much better using the wfp over the past few days. Mostly trad work but using it on the leaded jobs which is a dream and on the difficult windows, even ones I’ve had to miss for years over conservatory’s etc. Using a lot of water though. Only have 125l on me as my car is limited. I seem to be going through a barrel on each job if I do the full house. Obviously in a way it’s the  first clean as even though as a trad cleaner I always wipe ledges and the frames. The brushes get in all the nooks and crannies. So hopefully next times on those jobs should be a bit quicker. Looking at getting a van. A lot of changes being made this year. Appreciate all the help ?
You will need to carry much more water than that tbh. My son uses around 2/3rds of a back pack on a standard 3 bedroom semi.

There is a lad locally who has a trailer which he tows with an old Mondeo. He carried around 15 to 18 containers in the back of it depending on what he is doing. Last time I saw him towing his trailer he had fitted a small tank in the back but also had a few separate containers of water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back