Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Nano trolley settings..

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Chris Ashurst

Could someone please tell me what setting is best on a Nano trolley for someone just starting out and taking more time on each window due to inexperience?
I'm using 50° Gardiner fan jets, but I'm leaving lots of water behind on the floor after each window. Is this inevitable on first cleans due to the amount of time spent on each window?

Many thanks

Could someone please tell me what setting is best on a Nano trolley for someone just starting out and taking more time on each window due to inexperience?
I'm using 50° Gardiner fan jets, but I'm leaving lots of water behind on the floor after each window. Is this inevitable on first cleans due to the amount of time spent on each window?

Many thanks
As with a lot of things it’s down to personal choice what works for you might not work for someone else Nano trolly are very good we use them for softwashing , we don’t use them for window cleaning but would think start with a flow rate of 35 if it’s taking ages to rinse then increase it a bit until you feel the flow rate works for your personal speed, can’t comment on fan jets as we don’t use them .

Inevitably you will take longer and use a lot more water on first cleans I have been wfp 16 years now and first cleans still take a lot of water and longer to clean than a regular clean, this is just how it is, I tried 50 degree fan jets but 100's are a lot better I have my controller set at 70 because I like to go like the clappers and rinse fast

Inevitably you will take longer and use a lot more water on first cleans I have been wfp 16 years now and first cleans still take a lot of water and longer to clean than a regular clean, this is just how it is, I tried 50 degree fan jets but 100's are a lot better I have my controller set at 70 because I like to go like the clappers and rinse fast
Thanks for that. I've had my controller set at 70 and have been going like a snail!
I cleaned my own windows just practicing really, and the next day when I opened the windows, quite a bit of water run out of the inside of the vents. Is this because I spent too much time rinsing and flooded them?

Thanks for that. I've had my controller set at 70 and have been going like a snail!
I cleaned my own windows just practicing really, and the next day when I opened the windows, quite a bit of water run out of the inside of the vents. Is this because I spent too much time rinsing and flooded them?

As per @Pjj really.

Once you have mastered the window cleaning technic that works for you, then you can start to increase flow rate and work quicker.
My advice is also to turn your flow rate down.

Vents are another story. The trouble with vents is that they trap dirty water, only to release a streak of dirty water later down the window you have cleaned.
There was one block of apartments we cleaned where we cleaned the frame housing the vents first of all 29 flats and then started on the windows below it when the dirty water had finished dripping down.
On regular cleans we just quickly run the brush over the vents just to keep them clean.

The reason why you are practicing on your own windows is to develop your own window cleaning technic. That's excellent. To begin with, it is going to be very frustrating, but stick with it. First cleans are always challenging, but things improve and get easier with subsequent cleans.
?

Last edited:
Trickle vents need a good clean but shouldn't be getting filled up with water, I turn my brush upside down to flush them out, this is why I prefer fan jets as it's a finer spray for flushing out vents so less chance of putting too much water into them

As per @Pjj really.

Once you have mastered the window cleaning technic that works for you, then you can start to increase flow rate and work quicker.
My advice is also to turn your flow rate down.

Vents are another story. The trouble with vents is that they trap dirty water, only to release a streak of dirty water later down the window you have cleaned.
There was one block of apartments we cleaned where we cleaned the frame housing the vents first of all 29 flats and then started on the windows below it when the dirty water had finished dripping down.
On regular cleans we just quickly run the brush over the vents just to keep them clean.

The reason why you are practicing on your own windows is to develop your own window cleaning technic. That's excellent. To begin with, it is going to be very frustrating, but stick with it. First cleans are always challenging, but things improve and get easier with subsequent cleans.
?
Thanks very much for the advice and taking the time to reply. Would you always change 50% more for any first cleans?

If you are just starting out my recommendation would be to use 2mm pencil jets and get practiced with them first, unless you are using a swivel on your brush.
Don't get me wrong, I love fan jets for the same reasons as others have already said. I also prefer the 100 degree ones, but they require more experience and a different technique for rinsing than pencil jets and can also be problematic in a fixed brush especially with the above. This is of course only my experience.

Thanks very much for the advice and taking the time to reply. Would you always change 50% more for any first cleans?
I presume you meant charge, not change. If so, then that's your decision.

My opinion is to see what you can get extra. I have never had a firm price for a first clean. If you are starting up and need the business, then you could lose your customer before you even start if they perceive you are taking the 'Mick.' Can you afford to lose that enquiry or interest shown? Can you confidently justify the need for an extra first clean price? You have to be very confident when talking to a potential new customer. If you are hesitant, then chances are you will create a doubt in their minds. They will then say they need to speak to their husband, wife or partner, and they will get back to you. Chances are, you have lost that enquiry if that happens. You might be able to rescue it on the doorstep by asking if there is anything that you haven't explained before you leave.

You are selling yourself and a service. In effect, you are a salesman and sales people have to be convincing about the product they are selling.

"I agree, they haven't been cleaned in a while, sir/ma'am. I will clean your windows today for £20, then every 4 weeks for £12 or every 8 weeks for £15. Which would suit you best, every 4 or 8 weeks?" That takes the focus off the first clean price. (You want £8 for the first clean, but you will only charge them £5 on the 8 weekly price.) If they go for 8 weeks, that's great. "Have you got £20 for the clean today?" (They know you mean cash.)

Depending on the circumstances, we have suggested they pay us on the internet when we do a first clean. I'm trying to change as many customer's over to bank transfer as I can, so I'm prepared to take the risk. Most of our recent new customers have come from recommendation. These customers over the years have been the most loyal and the least drama.

If you are just starting out my recommendation would be to use 2mm pencil jets and get practiced with them first, unless you are using a swivel on your brush.
Don't get me wrong, I love fan jets for the same reasons as others have already said. I also prefer the 100 degree ones, but they require more experience and a different technique for rinsing than pencil jets and can also be problematic in a fixed brush especially with the above. This is of course only my experience.
I agree with pencil jets as you can be more accurate when rinsing.

When well established I would say yes , but if needing the work and still building then you need to use some discretion , but even if you charged an extra £5 it’s a bit more in your pocket for the extra work and water .

I presume you meant charge, not change. If so, then that's your decision.

My opinion is to see what you can get extra. I have never had a firm price for a first clean. If you are starting up and need the business, then you could lose your customer before you even start if they perceive you are taking the 'Mick.' Can you afford to lose that enquiry or interest shown? Can you confidently justify the need for an extra first clean price? You have to be very confident when talking to a potential new customer. If you are hesitant, then chances are you will create a doubt in their minds. They will then say they need to speak to their husband, wife or partner, and they will get back to you. Chances are, you have lost that enquiry if that happens. You might be able to rescue it on the doorstep by asking if there is anything that you haven't explained before you leave.

You are selling yourself and a service. In effect, you are a salesman and sales people have to be convincing about the product they are selling.

"I agree, they haven't been cleaned in a while, sir/ma'am. I will clean your windows today for £20, then every 4 weeks for £12 or every 8 weeks for £15. Which would suit you best, every 4 or 8 weeks?" That takes the focus off the first clean price. (You want £8 for the first clean, but you will only charge them £5 on the 8 weekly price.) If they go for 8 weeks, that's great. "Have you got £20 for the clean today?" (They know you mean cash.)

Depending on the circumstances, we have suggested they pay us on the internet when we do a first clean. I'm trying to change as many customer's over to bank transfer as I can, so I'm prepared to take the risk. Most of our recent new customers have come from recommendation. These customers over the years have been the most loyal and the least drama.
Sorry, yes I did mean charge. That's a big help thank you. I guess a first clean can vary massively from someone who hasn't had their windows cleaned for a few months, to a few years.
If in an area where the average price for a small bungalow clean is £10 (4 weekly) as a rough estimate would a semi be around £15, and detached four bedroom £20? I've heard some charge £1.50 per window, but I guess that could get expensive.

The idea behind the first clean price is to recoup some of the labour cost doing the first clean if the homeowner suddenly changes their mind from a regular clean to a one-off clean.
Prices are usually to an area. We had an old council estate near us. The pricing wasn't brilliant, but neighbours were happy to pay for each other. In the days 20 years ago when we collected the outstanding cleans every Friday evening, that was a big plus.

I posted a few comments on this thread regarding pricing and how I felt a suggested pricing formula would work in my area. Other windies also made some valuable comments.

Last edited:
Pricing doesn't have to follow what you would consider normal @Chris Ashurst .

I've mentioned this before. There's a village called Charltons. It's near Guisborough. It consists of 2 streets of town houses, one odd numbers and the other even numbers.

There are nearly 100 town houses in these 2 streets. Each house has a front door, one bedroom window and one lounge window. 10 years ago, the windie had most of the village as customers. He only cleaned fronts and refused to clean the backs. He charged £2 a clean back then. He only had to move his van 4 times and whipped through them like a dose of salts. He did a terrible job. If anyone complained, he told them to find another cleaner. What did they expect for £2? Of course, no cleaner would come into Charltons to compete with £2. He was finished by lunch time and was his most lucrative day financially.

Latest Posts

Back