Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

newbie set up for water fed pole system

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Nickshangs

hello guys , so i've finally decided to get this going after months ( or is it years ? ) of indecision.

window cleaning warehouse have recommended this set up for a newbie like me,

i guess it will do initially and if i get busy i could always upgrade and get a van mounted system,
and have this set up for smaller jobs i guess.

what are your thoughts?

Nick

£250 + VAT for a Backpack is a no go for starters, £120 + VAT on Gardiners site. Do you know your tap TDS because if it's high then you'll eat the resin.
The backpack on it's own is £167 inc vat. They have just priced as if there are just 3 parts!

@Nickshangs as Part Timer said check your TDS with a decent TDS meter - there are lots of fakes on ebay/amazon so buy form a window cleaning shop - like Daqua.
As for pole length you really need to know what properties you will be working on as an 18ft might not be long enough for Victorian types or certainly not for reaching over conservatories or extensions.
The kit is missing how you are going to store or transport the pure water created via the DI. You will need some barrels.

£250 + VAT for a Backpack is a no go for starters, £120 + VAT on Gardiners site. Do you know your tap TDS because if it's high then you'll eat the resin.
So are you saying the set up I’ve been recommended is too expensive? As in the back pack is more than it should be? How does the Unger backback compare to the gardiners one you recommend? Also just thinking would swapping the back pack for a 35lt trolly instead make sense

You need to find out what your tap TDS is as if it's high you will eat the resin. It might be better, and cheaper, to get a Gardiner Backpack, cheap sack trolley and SLX22 and get your water from Spotless or buy.it in from another supplier. This would cost you around £500, Inc VAT
Plugging a Di in is easy but not.really the best way to start, especially if you're in a hard water area.

I’ve ordered a tds meter and will heck my water and report back, thanks for all the help guys ??
A quick web search on if your county is a hard water area will give you an idea if you are in a soft or hard water area, even if you are in a soft water area suitable for a DI you need extra carrying capacity in the form of 25 litre container's because a 20ltr BP on a first clean might only clean the front of a house then what would you do?

I’ve ordered a tds meter and will heck my water and report back, thanks for all the help guys ??
IMHO if you are going this trolley/backpack route then you need good equipment.
The best trolley on the market is

Then add a Gardiner SLX27. I can reach most 3 story (main ensuite in the roof) new builds with mine. I couldn't reach that third story window with my SLX22. Then there is an r/o unit, di vessel, and lots of 25 litre containers. What vehicle do you have? How are you going to find customers?

Going window cleaning with water fed pole is an expensive investment. It's not a ladder, bucket, squeegee, applicator, scrims and roof racks for £300 like the old days.
In the same way that you can't open a coffee shop on the high street for £25. Sorry to rain on any new starter's parade, but that's the way it is. You really need to do your homework.

Let's also hope that you have purchased a tds meter from a well known wfp supplier and not a fake copy from some suppliers on Ebay.

I’ve had a look into this l, we have hard water in my part of london but someone suggested that spotless water Ltd sell the pure water for 3.5 pence per litre, surely this makes sense over having to filter it yourself? What’s the general consensus ?

I’ve had a look into this l, we have hard water in my part of london but someone suggested that spotless water Ltd sell the pure water for 3.5 pence per litre, surely this makes sense over having to filter it yourself? What’s the general consensus ?
Think it will depend on how much you use , if it’s only a few hundred ltr per week then buying it is probably more cost effective if using several thousand then it will become cheaper to make your own .

+ VAT, currently Uxbridge is 3p + VAT. My personal experience in the south is water costs don't come into the equation

Think it will depend on how much you use , if it’s only a few hundred ltr per week then buying it is probably more cost effective if using several thousand then it will become cheaper to make your own .

Personally, I would buy a good pole like a SLX22 or 27 depending on the type of house you will have (2 storey or 3 storey) a Gardiner backpack and a few 25lt barrels is all you need kit-wise to get going.

I use spotless water, for me it's convenient as they are only 5mins away and I don't have the stress of producing/storing my own water.

Personally, I would buy a good pole like a SLX22 or 27 depending on the type of house you will have (2 storey or 3 storey) a Gardiner backpack and a few 25lt barrels is all you need kit-wise to get going.

I use spotless water, for me it's convenient as they are only 5mins away and I don't have the stress of producing/storing my own water.
And this is fine. But it's not easy carrying a backpack around. I couldn't do it 15 years ago and definitely can't do it now. Hence, for my suggestion of a Purefreedom trolley on a previous post on this thread.
We do have a backpack which my son uses, but he has the option of a hose reel, which he seems to gravitate to now more than he did in the past.

Recommend Gardiners BP till the end of never but they are never in stock.

A BP on a sack trolley is most likely the most cost effective option when starting out, but most newbies on here never make it so easily sold or utilised for some other purposes

And this is fine. But it's not easy carrying a backpack around. I couldn't do it 15 years ago and definitely can't do it now. Hence, for my suggestion of a Purefreedom trolley on a previous post on this thread.
We do have a backpack which my son uses, but he has the option of a hose reel, which he seems to gravitate to now more than he did in the past.
Yes I agree it's tiring to carry it around, within a few weeks of starting up I added a hose, the pump is good enough even for 100m hose, I did that for a good few months before I build my pump box

What do you guys think of this system? I’m thinking now of going all in! ? so forget the back pack system and go for this

What size tank are you looking at? What is the TDs of your water and your water pressure?

Why does it say "no filtration fitted at ....." then it goes onto list all the components including r/o system?
I'm confused. If there is a missing comma after filtration, their advert is still confusing.

if you are going to get a full plug and play system with r/o, have you got access to an outside tap and a drain nearby where you park your van?
Talking of vans, what van have you got and what's it's payload?

What r/o membrane are they going to supply?

I would swap out the pole for a Gardiner slx27.

What split charge today are they fitting? If you're van is euro 6 with regenerative braking, a split charge relay won't work, you a battery to battery charger.

Have you got an outside power supply where you park your van to recharge your leisure battery and 'heat' the van in winter?

They are supplying a standard wydale plastic tank with a frame, a shurflo pump, standard prefilters and r/o housing which is all good product every good supplier will sell. Where the difference is with consumables. For example, a cheap Chinese manufactured membrane isn't as efficient as a much more expensive USA manufactured one. Supplying a Chinese membrane will reduce the selling price and make that system cheaper to buy but not cost effective for you looking term.
A cheap carbon prefilter might have a service life of a 6th of a Fiberdyne carbon filter, but it's much cheaper to include with the initial sale.

What size tank are you looking at? What is the TDs of your water and your water pressure?

Why does it say "no filtration fitted at ....." then it goes onto list all the components including r/o system?
I'm confused. If there is a missing comma after filtration, their advert is still confusing.

if you are going to get a full plug and play system with r/o, have you got access to an outside tap and a drain nearby where you park your van?
Talking of vans, what van have you got and what's it's payload?

What r/o membrane are they going to supply?

I would swap out the pole for a Gardiner slx27.

What split charge today are they fitting? If you're van is euro 6 with regenerative braking, a split charge relay won't work, you a battery to battery charger.

Have you got an outside power supply where you park your van to recharge your leisure battery and 'heat' the van in winter?

They are supplying a standard wydale plastic tank with a frame, a shurflo pump, standard prefilters and r/o housing which is all good product every good supplier will sell. Where the difference is with consumables. For example, a cheap Chinese manufactured membrane isn't as efficient as a much more expensive USA manufactured one. Supplying a Chinese membrane will reduce the selling price and make that system cheaper to buy but not cost effective for you looking term.
A cheap carbon prefilter might have a service life of a 6th of a Fiberdyne carbon filter, but it's much cheaper to include with the initial sale.
Thanks for all this info, I’ll have a good look into it

hello guys , so i've finally decided to get this going after months ( or is it years ? ) of indecision.

window cleaning warehouse have recommended this set up for a newbie like me,

i guess it will do initially and if i get busy i could always upgrade and get a van mounted system,
and have this set up for smaller jobs i guess.

what are your thoughts?

Nick
Just get a pure freedom trolley, Gardiner SLX 27, a selection of brushes,
Univalve and about 8 x 25ltr drums. Find out where your nearest spotless station is, practice like mad on your own/family/friends windows and away you go. That’s the easy bit, getting customers is the hard bit ?

Personally I’d get a SLX pole & a 2nd hand trolley and use a local spotless water worst case if it’s not for you you’ll get your money back, you can leave the trolley in the van and work off it only ball ache will be swapping barrels but if you chuck a fresh one on each house you can fill up with the dregs towards the end, I’d only go van mount after a couple of months of seeing how it’s gone cos if it’s not your cuppa tea it’s a big ol chunk of money you won’t get back if you decide it’s a not for me, the hardest bit is getting custys so at first it feels like a lot of hours input for not that much money but keep on keeping on it can be a good thing ??

Latest Posts

Back