Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Is a controller necessary?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Reach For The Glass

Hi guys so just about to order

Surflo 5.2 100 psi pump

Exceeds univalve

Gardiners hosereel

Exceeds tubeless kit

Leisure battery

Is a controller vital?

Also what hose does everyone use to feed there pump just garden hose?

And which fitting do you need for it.

Thanks guys.

In theory you only need a switch, and you can adjust the flow with a tap, however this can put extra strain on the pump which can cause you problems...

1/2" garden hose will work to feed your pump. It can kink easily though so something stronger/thicker is better..

I've always used one but they themselves can be a pain at times. I've got a mate who got so fed up with his one messing him around he took it off and has run without one for years. Just relies on the pressure switch on the pump. He swears by it. His pump is not the Sureflo though.

I have a TEC3M SCR and only need to put the battery on the bench once a week in winter.

Uni Valve is just on off. Has nothing to do with rate of flow. A controller properly callibrated will be best for flow controll and relieve unwanted stress on the pum via DE. when you shut off the UniValve.

hozelock tricoflex hose is a good strong hose.the safe flow controllers are also a decent buy

A harden hose is a PITA in my opinion. A popular choice is 100m of 6mm or 8mm internal diameter hose. You can get them from a lot of online window cleaner suppliers.

At the moment I have gardiners kaniflex hose 1 inch coming out of my tank. It's solid but too big for pump. Do you use same size hose for input and output of Pump.

Does £500 sound right?

I think you need to shop around,controller,split relay,leisure battery charger AND??what exactly are you spending £500 on????

I think you need to shop around,controller,split relay,leisure battery charger AND??what exactly are you spending £500 on????

SCR

leisure battery

Leisure battery charger

Controller

Univalve £30

Surflo pump

Hosereel

Exceeds tubeless kit £45

Exceeds blue hose 30 meter £30

I'm all ears if you know cheaper places mate.

my pump just has on/off and is powered straight from the van battery on full power, I also run a motorised hose reel off the same battery, ive never had a problem with the van not starting or it even getting low on volts. how comes a lot of people run a leisure battery? the controller may be good idea as my pump on full does cane 500+ litres a day, I just got fed up with it playing up so ended up wiring the pump direct

I couldnt work with no controller, as do a lot of older properties and the water would be going through the wooden/putty seals if at 100% power, I only use 20-30% on them, as they are great at sheeting, then I can krank up for hydrophobic. I think there a must.

my pump just has on/off and is powered straight from the van battery on full power, I also run a motorised hose reel off the same battery, ive never had a problem with the van not starting or it even getting low on volts. how comes a lot of people run a leisure battery? the controller may be good idea as my pump on full does cane 500+ litres a day, I just got fed up with it playing up so ended up wiring the pump direct
We had 3 goes at using the van's battery on 2 different vans rather than a leisure battery but within 4 days the van's battery was flat. We don't do enough mileage to recharge the battery. 10 minutes to work and 10 minutes back isn't long enough. Each of the vans had a controller.

T

I couldnt work with no controller, as do a lot of older properties and the water would be going through the wooden/putty seals if at 100% power, I only use 20-30% on them, as they are great at sheeting, then I can krank up for hydrophobic. I think there a must.
Totally agree. Why have your pump working flat out when you can fit a controller and have it working half as much. Had the same shurflo pump 8 years now, and purring beautifully

We had 3 goes at using the van's battery on 2 different vans rather than a leisure battery but within 4 days the van's battery was flat. We don't do enough mileage to recharge the battery. 10 minutes to work and 10 minutes back isn't long enough. Each of the vans had a controller.
I must be lucky with mine, my whole round is within a 5 mile radius, I do virtually no miles and start stop the van all day with no problems at all. I'm driving a Toyota hiace van, it had two battery's out the factory but I was to tight to replace both so I know just run the 1.

I worked without a controller just a pump and a battery, a few days ago I brought a trailer with a control.. Wow what a difference, you choose the pressure and how it runs its not just 5 set settings like on my kobold pump and when I turn the water of from my pump with my Aqua - dapter it comes up dead end and stops the pump running to stop it burning out. It probably isn't nessesity but by god it makes your life easier!

I worked without a controller just a pump and a battery, a few days ago I brought a trailer with a control.. Wow what a difference, you choose the pressure and how it runs its not just 5 set settings like on my kobold pump and when I turn the water of from my pump with my Aqua - dapter it comes up dead end and stops the pump running to stop it burning out. It probably isn't nessesity but by god it makes your life easier!
Nice post mate. Why have a pump screaming full blast when it could be ticking at half its capacity. No brainer I.m.o

Back