Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Preparing For The Winter

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I tend to only use a heater in what I call extreme weather conditions as the rest of the time I bring in kit that is venerable to frosty nights. Therfore the heater is not mounted on the side of the van but could be as is designed to be wall mounted aswell as floor standing. To be honest the heater I use being 3000 w on max settings is a bit of an overkill but I can't be arsed to buy a tube oil fiiled heater with that one just sat in the conservatory not being used most of the time.

Regarding the extention cable is the same way I use my wfp hose reel as can shut and lock back doors as there is enough gap beween the doors and rubber seal.

chaps can we please give it a rest now as I'm starting to get bored with the whole engine thing. :Image13:

We don’t exactly live in the likes of Siberia now do we :Image16:
Withthe amount of eastern Europeans flooding over here sometimes feels like it.!!!!

It'll be here before you know it lads and lass.

What tips do you have to prevent freezing equipment?

Pond heater for your tank, less than 15 quid http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250986405159?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Pond heater for your tank less than a tenner http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281049033304?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Oil filled radiator to keep hoses from freezing over night 20 quid ish http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221145182336?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Fan heater to keep hoses from freezing 9 quid http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400414193047?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Add your tips here people.
Hi Tuffers! Well my Oil-Filled Radiator came today- compact, but should do the trick.
I noticed on reading instructions it recommends not using extension cord (as can over-heat and risk fire), and not to use in surroundings of water(bath-tub/water container etc).

Do you think this will be safe to use?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I noticed on reading instructions it recommends not using extension cord (as can over-heat and risk fire), and not to use in surroundings of water(bath-tub/water container etc).

Do you think this will be safe to use?
Many items that draw a big electrical current and wattage warn about using an extension lead. You need to check the limitations of your extension - should be marked on it. You will need a 13A extension that can supply the wattage you need. And make sure the extension is fully unwound when you use it!
ExtensionLead1.jpg

ExtensionLead2.jpg

Regarding it being around water... Any electrical device not designed to be around water is a hazzard if water gets into the electrics.

Just make sure that you use an RCD to cut the power if a short does happen:

RCDplug.jpg

Many items that draw a big electrical current and wattage warn about using an extension lead. You need to check the limitations of your extension - should be marked on it. You will need a 13A extension that can supply the wattage you need. And make sure the extension is fully unwound when you use it!

Regarding it being around water... Any electrical device not designed to be around water is a hazzard if water gets into the electrics.
thanks for that mate.

Was fed up last year of trapping cables in doors and going brittle, so installed this. Best thing i ever did as its hard wired to a maintenance free battery charger for the van and leisure battery

View attachment 2280

Was fed up last year of trapping cables in doors and going brittle, so installed this. Best thing i ever did as its hard wired to a maintenance free battery charger for the van and leisure battery
Using these couplers (shown in 0o0's image) which are used on caravans and generators are the safest method for an outdoor extension cable, and best if the actual cable is an "Arctic" cable.

Yep got my Arctic cable from ebay via a caravan shop. Dirt cheap and I know it will be safe /emoticons/smile.png

I take it this extension cable will be fine to run a 700w heater off. Is this a cut out switch type?
That should be just fine for 700w. I would fully unwind it even though you allegedly don't need to.

You still need an RCD, the cut out on the reel is to stop overheating, not power surge safety in the event of a short circuit.

ExtensionLead1.jpg

ExtensionLead2.jpg

Just make sure that you use an RCD to cut the power if a short does happen:

RCDplug.jpg
Thanks for the safety advice- appretiate it!
Im looking at a RCD Circuit Power Breaker Socket Plug with the following description: Power circuit breaker - plug in type

13A rated, max load to 3200W 250Vac

Action time:

Thanks for the safety advice- appretiate it!

Im looking at a RCD Circuit Power Breaker Socket Plug with the following description: Power circuit breaker - plug in type

13A rated, max load to 3200W 250Vac

Action time:

Seems like it's going to be a real bad winter and it looks like we won't be going anywhere the way the weather people are talking

Seems like it's going to be a real bad winter and it looks like we won't be going anywhere the way the weather people are talking
lucky they dont know their ar-e from their elbow

Latest Posts

Back