Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Reel hose...what are you using?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

wezza13

Hi all,

For years, I've only used 100m of yellow all season pole hose on my reel. Connects to my gooseneck via a univalve. Never had a problem with it splitting.

Last week, it snagged on a rosebush. Pierced the bugger about 50m in. Have had to join with a John Guest connector. The problem now, is that it has the potential to snag on corners, bricks, etc.

I've been very lucky with regards to no piercings before and now think that I should really invest in the thicker, more durable "reel hose"?

I've been looking at https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pump-hose/hoses/reel-and-system-hoses/microbore-trade-reinforced-hose-6mm-id-11-5mm-od.html but, having to connect this to pole hose to run up the inside of the pole (which is an Extreme 35), I'm concerned about snagging where the join will be from the reel hose/pole hose.

Does anybody have any suggestions to avoid this? 

BTW, I'll be using it on my Pure Freedom Electric Reelmaster.

Cheers,

Wez

Hi all,

For years, I've only used 100m of yellow all season pole hose on my reel. Connects to my gooseneck via a univalve. Never had a problem with it splitting.

Last week, it snagged on a rosebush. Pierced the bugger about 50m in. Have had to join with a John Guest connector. The problem now, is that it has the potential to snag on corners, bricks, etc.

I've been very lucky with regards to no piercings before and now think that I should really invest in the thicker, more durable "reel hose"?

I've been looking at https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pump-hose/hoses/reel-and-system-hoses/microbore-trade-reinforced-hose-6mm-id-11-5mm-od.html but, having to connect this to pole hose to run up the inside of the pole (which is an Extreme 35), I'm concerned about snagging where the join will be from the reel hose/pole hose.

Does anybody have any suggestions to avoid this? 

BTW, I'll be using it on my Pure Freedom Electric Reelmaster.

Cheers,

Wez
If you are not going down the so called hoseless route the connector will not go near the pole and you wouldn’t have any snagging issues. 

If you are not going down the so called hoseless route the connector will not go near the pole and you wouldn’t have any snagging issues. 
I meant snagging on walls, childrens bikes, tyres, etc, not necessarily the inside of the pole.

Join 29 meters of pole hose to your microbore and that will go up inside the pole , go down the hose less route works a treat 
Tried hoseless the last few weeks and don't like it. It makes it tricky to take the gooseneck out of the end of section 1 of the pole and, because I use the extension pack to make it an Extreme 35, the connector doesn't come to the bottom of the pole and it's an aiming exercise to connect it lol. 

Did get a bit of tubing to extend the first section (from Exceed), so that I could connect it easily at the bottom of the pole, but that seemed the wrong size and wouldn't fit into the first section.

It was my second attempt at going hoseless but I just can't see the benefit of it. I only use the one pole, so don't think it's really needed. Sure, it saves having a hose rising up the middle of the van, but I only use my van for window cleaning so it's not really an issue.

You have answered your own question. If it’s only snagging since you joined it. Buy yourself 100m of reel hose and get shot of the join.

You have answered your own question. If it’s only snagging since you joined it. Buy yourself 100m of reel hose and get shot of the join.
This is true but I was trying to think of alternatives to buying 100m of hose every time it gets pierced by a thorn. What if I buy 100m and then it gets pierced again next week? It'd be a very expensive way of avoiding hose damage.

What hose do you use on your hose reel? Do you use pole hose too or do you suggest something more robust?

As I said earlier. Pole hose is for your pole only. Reel hose on your reel. Had mine for 5 years. 6mm bore 11mm o/d. 

Pole hose isn’t made for dragging round corners. Just need about 1m extra of pole hose than the maximum extended length of your pole. That’s your join between your pole and reel hose. It will always be near you. Not half way round the house. You can then control you join around snagging objects. 

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said earlier. Pole hose is for your pole only. Reel hose on your reel. Had mine for 5 years. 6mm bore 11mm o/d. 

Pole hose isn’t made for dragging round corners. Just need about 1m extra of pole hose than the maximum extended length of your pole. That’s your join between your pole and reel hose. It will always be near you. Not half way round the house. You can then control you join around snagging objects. 
That's true and makes perfect sense, thank you. I'll purchase some durable reel hose today. Maybe I was lucky not to have any damage to the pole hose over the years but, after what happened last week, it's got me thinking ?

I imagine that this is perfect for my needs? https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pump-hose/hoses/reel-and-system-hoses/microbore-trade-reinforced-hose-6mm-id-11-5mm-od.html

I meant snagging on walls, childrens bikes, tyres, etc, not necessarily the inside of the pole.

Tried hoseless the last few weeks and don't like it. It makes it tricky to take the gooseneck out of the end of section 1 of the pole and, because I use the extension pack to make it an Extreme 35, the connector doesn't come to the bottom of the pole and it's an aiming exercise to connect it lol. 

Did get a bit of tubing to extend the first section (from Exceed), so that I could connect it easily at the bottom of the pole, but that seemed the wrong size and wouldn't fit into the first section.

It was my second attempt at going hoseless but I just can't see the benefit of it. I only use the one pole, so don't think it's really needed. Sure, it saves having a hose rising up the middle of the van, but I only use my van for window cleaning so it's not really an issue.
I got the exceed hoseless kit for my extreme 35 (25+10 ext) and extreme 22, I’m persevering with it for now but I found it a fiddly setup and getting it connected each time takes several attempts. Once it’s connected I have no issues and it’s nice having a tidier van

Back