Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Repair of worn pole sections

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I have an extream 22 as my every day pole it’s roughly 2-3 years old and never had any sections break but no1 is now that badly worn by the clamp it’s just spinning , so I have come up with a cunning plan I am going  to put a clamp on the other end of the section as that part isn’t as badly worn and take the clamp of the original end and hopefully this will get a bit more life out of the section . I have tried the lacquer and build it up with epoxy etc on other poles and never found it successfully so thought I would give this a try , has anyone else done this and was it any good ???? 

CE453291-030F-4442-A8E8-E7D88A05E4F9.jpeg

I have an extream 22 as my every day pole it’s roughly 2-3 years old and never had any sections break but no1 is now that badly worn by the clamp it’s just spinning , so I have come up with a cunning plan I am going  to put a clamp on the other end of the section as that part isn’t as badly worn and take the clamp of the original end and hopefully this will get a bit more life out of the section . I have tried the lacquer and build it up with epoxy etc on other poles and never found it successfully so thought I would give this a try , has anyone else done this and was it any good ???? 

View attachment 25361
Good job the pole section isn't conical 

View attachment 25361
Why not just buy a new single pole for it?

Because he's with respect old school, fix it repair it save money be creative like myself 
I don’t like this throw away society that we live in I like to try and use things until they cannot be repaired  ware I can it save on waist , it’s not about the money but rather I don’t want to add more to the land fill problems than I have to . 

I just put electrical insulation tape round the top of my sections if they start to spin. Only 1 layer though without over lapping
I have done that before but you still cannot use that bit of the pole as the tape ruckus up 

I don’t like this throw away society that we live in I like to try and use things until they cannot be repaired  ware I can it save on waist , it’s not about the money but rather I don’t want to add more to the land fill problems than I have to . 

I have done that before but you still cannot use that bit of the pole as the tape ruckus up 
I'm like yourself, fix it until it's beyond miracles.

Had a chap near me put a petrol Suffolk punch mower out for the scrap man yesterday.

Asked the young chap whats wrong with it, he said it won't start. The HT lead plug cap broke off. £4 fix and sold it on for £60 

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to spend time fixing things but I'm like Amazon, the economics doesn't allow me. Cut up and tossed out old ladders when folk said I could sell on Gumtree. The only problem is taking time off means I'm preventing myself earning with all the work I have coming in. In the end I just buy new and bin alot of stuff. Trying to over price work now so I don't get it then I can get some time off.

You run a 3 van op and you can't put a bit of tape on a section ?  No#1 will get far more use so it will become more of an issue, maybe brand new clamp and hacksaw off the top of the worn section just below the worn area and fit a new clamp,  or you need some of those metal banded xtreme sections 

You run a 3 van op and you can't put a bit of tape on a section ?  No#1 will get far more use so it will become more of an issue, maybe brand new clamp and hacksaw off the top of the worn section just below the worn area and fit a new clamp,  or you need some of those metal banded xtreme sections 
If you put tape on the top bit that’s worn it cannot be used as when closing the pole it rips the tape off , if you cut off the top inch or so that’s worn then the top section is a bit short and it’s difficult to connect the hose to as we use hoseless set up by turning the section round it keeps the length the same and the bottom area of section one is less worn , was just trying it as an experiment if it doesn’t work then I will buy a new section .

If you put tape on the top bit that’s worn it cannot be used as when closing the pole it rips the tape off , if you cut off the top inch or so that’s worn then the top section is a bit short and it’s difficult to connect the hose to as we use hoseless set up by turning the section round it keeps the length the same and the bottom area of section one is less worn , was just trying it as an experiment if it doesn’t work then I will buy a new section .
Keep us posted if it works. I can't see why it wouldn't ?

I found that with decent quality electrical insulation, wrap it round once, with no (or very little) overlap it doesn't catch. its worked well for me. the only downside is that if you put the pole up half way it spins as its too much of a difference in diameter for the clamp. 

If I needed to do a repair I'd use a piece of heatshrink instead of insulation tape as tape will always flap and unstick 

i just clamp further down the section....my xtreme no,1,2,3 sections on my main pole are usually splintered/badly worn after 18 months so i just replace all 3...sections 4 and 5 last many years(at least 5 years)....its cheaper than buying a new xtreme 25 every 18 months

Ahh gotcha, I am hose-less but have about 6" or so sticking out of the bottom of the pole this allows for any potential issues 

Back