Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by azzy, Feb 23, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. azzy

azzy Guest

After joining a week ago and annoying everyone with questions about trolley system to which every single person has been great - I have just one more question

How long does a bag of resin last ( I got a quote of 70 odd quid ). I know it depends on ur water etc but in general I mean ( I Have soft water and have yet to check with tps thing)

Just tryin to work out if it only lasted a few hundred lit then it wud be very costly

Thankin u all in advance (my heroes):):)
    (di resin)[hr]
    (also still thinkin bout a small van system for my boot - 250 lit tank but not only half full then means my suspension on the big vectra wud take it )
  2. Paul

Paul Guest

Will you be using a RO system azzy, it can be costly to set up a home RO system but it would save you money on resin.

What we did was put water through RO it would bring it to 0.01 in the static tank, then just polish the water to 0.00 with the DI, more costly on set up but saves money in the long run
  3. James

James Guru

Nov 2, 2011
    Same question as Paul Azzy, it depends what your running it through.

4. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

Hey azzy, i'm wfp only and i use di only for purification. The water i use comes out the tap at about 60ppm. One 25l bag of resin will do me about 3 months. I fill my tank at my parents house, as the ppm out of my tap is about 190. Once i get to a situation where i can produce pure water with a static system, that is, in a bigger property with a garage, or large shed and am therefore using my own water, i would definately use r/o AND di. So as others have already said, how long your di last's, depends on the water out of your tap, it can vary dramatically!.

As for your 2nd point, whilst on paper, your vectra should easily cope with 250kg, it is VERY important that the weight is not placed all at the very back, behind the rear axle. This will in effect, multiply the weight being put on the back axle (you can easily lift a 25litre drum, but try it with your arm stretched out!), and will definately result in very 'wayward' (possibly dangerous) handling, lack of traction, and quite possibly suspension failure. You really need to make sure the weight is spread between both axles, but ultimately a van is a better option if at all possible, or a pick up with a canopy.
  5. azzy

azzy Guest

Thanks guys - ok what does r/o mean - In fact if someone cud explain the complete pureification process then that wud simpplify it for me lol

Im aware the the resin purifies water as far as i no but ro??

All i know at this stage is my water is soft and i have a large garage and shed :(

#hides with embaressment at so little knowledge[hr]
    I was told that i wud prob only need to use di resin and run straight frm tap - but guy cud be spinnin me on eto sell me trolley :(
  6. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

di stands for de-ionisation, sounds like you are reasonably familiar with this though. You put the resin in a vessel, water goes in 'dirty', comes out pure. If you are in a soft water area, like under 100ppm, di on its own is viable.

r/o stands for reverse osmosis, where the water is pushed through a series of cylinders with filters and other assorted trickery(!) in them. r/o is not so practical for certain situations though. Because of the time it takes to produce pure water using this method, you need either a static system (in a shed or garage), or a van based system where you would need a driveway, or somewhere you could leave your van parked, hooked up to the water over***ht. You attatch your water supply to one side of the r/o system, you have a waste outlet which needs to be routed to a drain, and the purified water outlet, which goes to your water tank. The water needs to be of a certain pressure for it to be effective, i think my pals one needs to be about 60psi, so you may need a booster pump.

You really need to find out how much ppm your tap water has, that way you can get together the most appropriate system for you.

But given you have a large shed and garage (jammy git!, i live in a flat!), i would seriously be looking at a static setup. You can buy a small r/o system for about £130 i think, which, since you are in a soft water area, would probably bring the water down to under 5ppm. If you wanted, you would be safe enough using just that, but you could go the whole hog, and get a di vessel too, which would bring you right down to 0. In that case, your di usage would be minimal, you would probably get more than a year out of a 25l bag.

As for your trolley salesman, no, he is probably right, if you are in a soft water area, you could get away with di only!.[hr]
    Sorry, i forgot to clarify, with r/o, the water is purified BEFORE being used, whereas, as you know, with di, it is purified AS you are using it.
  7. azzy

azzy Guest

Wow - ok that explains alot. Basically under 100 wud suit me and be easier then :(

#Prays its under 100

Where can i get this thing then that test the waters ppm??

RESULTTTTTTT - our v soft water is well under 100ppm - rs only yeooooooooooooo
  8. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

Its called a tds meter, and you can get them from any window cleaning equipment suppliers, not to mention, ebay.
  9. azzy

azzy Guest

thanks for that :( - found a supplier near me that can do the lot for just over 500 so a bit of bargaining and one hopes il be in business next week without ladders :(
  10. mark m

mark m Hero

Feb 22, 2012
    Find out what your tds is once you have done that the above will tell you how much resin you will get for your money if you are doing di only