Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Responsibility for damage to roof?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Zephod123

Have just taken over a business and list of customers and jobs including gutter cleaning for one older lady. Part of the guttering was over an old small flat roof which needed repairing. To be fair she did say it was leaking and not to stand on it but to cut a long story short it ended up damaged when a foot went through it. The whole flat roof ended up needing to be replaced. As she’d said she was going to have the roof repaired at some point anyway a discussion was had about meeting half way on cost but not agreed on specifically how that would happen. The bill has come in and more discussions had about her paying the bill in full to the repairer and then being paid back 1/4 in cash and free window/conservatory cleaning for a year. She’s not happy with this. Any thoughts on where we stand? Thanks

I wouldn't have agreed half price for a full roof replacement if you broke a tile on a tiled roof and roofer said the rook was knackered would you be paying £1,000s for a new roof.

I wouldn't have agreed half price for a full roof replacement if you broke a tile on a tiled roof and roofer said the rook was knackered would you be paying £1,000s for a new roof.
Flat roof so felted, no tiles.felt wasn’t visibly damaged before foot went through but was leaking so had gone. Roofer said it was no cheaper to patch it as it wasn’t a big roof.

Firstly you shouldn't climb on flat roofs, especially if they are damaged already. You could be dealing with much larger fines if someone had fallen through and been badly injured. Personally wouldn't be offering anywhere near 50% as she knew the roof was already damaged. I think your 25% offer is more than fair and I wouldn't include free cleans on top.

Flat roof so felted, no tiles.felt wasn’t visibly damaged before foot went through but was leaking so had gone. Roofer said it was no cheaper to patch it as it wasn’t a big roof.
Yes, I know, you entered a verbal agreement with a customer best thing you can do is honour it and cough up asap before she starts slating you to everyone, if it's a small roof then surely it's only about £200 she wants

not sure what’s right here, did she have the money already there for a new roof and was just on her list of things to get done?. or maybe she was trying to save enough up first. You putting a hole in it after she’s told you not to stand on it might have made her have to take out a loan etc to get money for repairs.

Latest Posts

Back