Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

RO distance from water storage.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Den

Think I have found the best solution but my water but need more advise, I want to keep my RO and DI vessel in the coal shed, but want my water storage outside my back gate in a Keter plastic shed which I already have spare, between RO system and back gate there is a distance of about 15' I can run the hose under some decking so out of sight would the distance from RO and storage tank cause any problems, I would insulate the hose for the winter months.

It shouldn't be a problem in the summer @Den.

In the early days I had a 225GPD r/o at the outside back tap. I ran the pure hose up onto the garage roof, across the roof and down the other side onto the drive to fill my trailer. The r/o was 1/4 tube which I stepped up to 1/2" garden hose. The garden hose is about 30' long. Once the trailer was full of water I would drain the pipe down by uncoupling it and letting it drain.

Today my pure hose goes from my r/o on one side of the garage to my IBC tank on the other side along the roof beams. When the r/o switches off the water in the hose along the roof beams drains out into the ibc tank due to the slope of the beams.

My concern would be the hose running under the decking in the winter. Insulating the hose won't stop it freezing if it stands for long enough; it will just extend the time it takes to freeze up. Once its frozen there is little you can do about it other than to wait for a 'warm' spell. Then the insulation will act the other way and extend the time it takes to defrost; example is a cooler box.

I would try to keep the tank and r/o together in the coal shed and transfer water to the van via a transfer pump. Our transfer hose is in two pieces, the longest being 22' which can be joined to another 15' piece which allows us to park our vans on the street to fill up if need be. After filling the van, we disconnect the pipe at a coupler by the garage door and drain all the water in the 1" transfer hose into the van tank. We then coil the empty hose up. No matter how cold the garage gets there is no water in the trasnfer hose to freeze.

The other consideration is heat tracing cable which will also run along the water pipe under the decking. Its a wire that contains an electrical heating element that can be triggered at low temps. It will prevent pipes from freezing up. I've mainly seen it working with copper water pipe but you could make enquiries regarding its use with 'plastic' water pipe and/or hose.

probably not worth the cost and the faff on though.

-

Last edited by a moderator:
Would like the RO and tank together but unfortunately isn't really enough room in my coal I have a 200 litre butt in there and that takes all the room up, have taken

your advise onboard

Thanks.

Back