Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

RO System

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mooghy

i've got hold of one of these RO systems im going to use it in making pure water, Reverse Osmosis (RO) System - Window Cleaning Warehouse Ltd

my questions is how do I connect this to the mains, i have it next to a 15mm copper pipe that is in the utility room currently being used for a spare sink how do I then connect the out from the RO to my DI vessel, the pipe fittings are 6mm on the RO system the DI vessel has a 1/2 in male hose connection how do I connect 6mm to 1/2in? if anyone could send a link to ebay items or amazon id be enterally grateful

i've got hold of one of these RO systems im going to use it in making pure water, Reverse Osmosis (RO) System - Window Cleaning Warehouse Ltd

my questions is how do I connect this to the mains, i have it next to a 15mm copper pipe that is in the utility room currently being used for a spare sink how do I then connect the out from the RO to my DI vessel, the pipe fittings are 6mm on the RO system the DI vessel has a 1/2 in male hose connection how do I connect 6mm to 1/2in? if anyone could send a link to ebay items or amazon id be enterally grateful
The small pipe is probably 1/4" not 6mm unless that's what it says.
You can get 1/4" push fit to 3/4" bsp (washing machine fitting) far about £8 on amazon then a 3/4" washing machine tee fitting or a 3/4" washing machine self cutting tap the self cutting ones are easier to fit but don't flow great.
Alternatively you can get a 1/4" push fit to 15,, push fitting tee with tap which are very good and provide a full flow.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The small pipe is probably 1/4" not 6mm unless that's what it says.
You can get 1/4" push fit to 3/4" bsp (washing machine fitting) far about £8 on amazon then a 3/4" washing machine tee fitting or a 3/4" washing machine self cutting tap the self cutting ones are easier to fit but don't flow great.
Alternatively you can get a 1/4" push fit to 15,, push fitting tee with tap which are very good and provide a full flow.
some great bits there thank you, I used a vernier calliper to measure the size of the piping

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
In the listing it says membranes not included!!!
Oops! I didn't see that. I wonder if the op is going to realise this as well. How can they advertise this as a 300gpd r/o. It is all down to the membranes.

IMHO a 300GPD r/o isn't enough for a window cleaner's daily full day needs, even if he is processing water into a 1000 litre IBC tank.

One of the local sole operator lads has a 300GPD and had to add a booster pump to supply enough water for his daily use. I found a 450GPD r/o processing water into a 1000 litre IBC tank was enough for my daily requirements on my own. But I needed to run it with a shut-off solenoid valve. A lot of the time the IBC tank was still filling up when I went to bed and would switch off in the early hours of the morning.

What am I doing wrong with my new RO it's 285ish before filters then 225 before resin filter then down to 00 but obviously not gonna last long as when I went to fill van today was at 31 !!!! Was expecting 600gpd to get it really low not 225

When an r/o is new it needs to be very well flushed.

Then you need to establish if the membranes are connected correctly. Obviously the inlets to both membranes need to be in the front; the screw housing side. Then you need to ensure that both waste outlets are going to waste with the restrictor after that. Then also check that the pure pipes are joined together before they go to the resin vessel.
It's easy to get one waste mixing with the pure as it's connected up incorrectly.

You should have around 60% waste to 40% pure to begin with. (6 litres of waste to 4 litres of pure.)

You then need to isolate which membrane is causing the problem. Disconnect the first membrane and run the second as though it was the only membrane. Test the pure. Then do the same for the second. One of them could be the culprit.

Remove the membranes and check they are seated correctly in their housing. Check the O rings and the brine seal for any damage and/or seating issues.

When an r/o is new it needs to be very well flushed.

Then you need to establish if the membranes are connected correctly. Obviously the inlets to both membranes need to be in the front; the screw housing side. Then you need to ensure that both waste outlets are going to waste with the restrictor after that. Then also check that the pure pipes are joined together before they go to the resin vessel.
It's easy to get one waste mixing with the pure as it's connected up incorrectly. The pure comes from the centre connector and the waste from the connector that is slightly off-centre.20240312_134658.jpg20240312_131351.jpg

You should have around 60% waste to 40% pure to begin with. (6 litres of waste to 4 litres of pure.)

You then need to isolate which membrane is causing the problem. Disconnect the first membrane and run the second as though it was the only membrane. Test the pure. Then do the same for the second. One of them could be the culprit.

Remove the membranes and check they are seated correctly in their housing. Check the O rings and the brine seal for any damage and/or seating issues.
Cheers will do here are some pics.
2nd pic is where water enters from tap.

I don't exactly know how Streamline connect the 2 membranes together TBH. It could be that they feed the waste from the first r/o into the second r/o to filter it again.

When I had my 450gpd the pure was feed into each membrane housing; all the wastes were joined together before the restrictor and all the pure pipes were joined together before the resin vessel. That made perfect sense to me, but they needed more T connectors to connect the pipes up this way.

I thought the restrictor was supposed to be in the waste water line not the pure out of the membrane then to DI?
Check the TDS of what you are sending to waste? I suspect your 'waste' is actually your 'pure' out of membrane.

20240312_170237.jpg
This is the set up now shouldn't be coming out so high burning through resin. Had to empty van as was 31. Put more resin in vessel managed to get it to 00 but going up already

The membranes didn't have protective plastic on did they? Can they go in the wrong way round?

I would start with the basic setup and just pipe from tap through the 3 prefilters, then into 1 membrane, then 2 pipes out of membrane, waste with tap on to limit waste flow. Then measure the tds, if its less than 15 I would say that's working, then try the second membrane just as the first one. That would prove if each membrane is working correctly. Once I had proved each worked I would parallel them up (no restrictor just tap to restrict waste) if that's ok then connect restrictor, again if OK hook up the shutoff block. Only connect the resin when you know your membrane output is low unless you have to to work tomorrow.

Last edited:
The membranes didn't have protective plastic on did they? Can they go in the wrong way round?

I would start with the basic setup and just pie from tap through the 3 prefilters, then into 1 membrane, then 2 pipes out of membrane, waste with tap on to limit waste flow. Then measure the tds, if its less than 15 I would say that's working, then try the second membrane just as the first one. That would prove if each membrane is working correctly. Once I had proved each worked I would parallel them up (no restrictor just tap to restrict waste) if that's ok then connect restrictor, again if OK hook up the shutoff block. Only connect the resin when you know your membrane output is low unless you have to to work tomorrow.
I think I may have put membranes in wrong way will double check in morning, wid that make a big difference?

That R/O looks a right mess of a set up as @ched999uk pointed out earlier the pipe after the waste tap should be your waste outlet straight to the drain, then you should have single piece of pipe from one of the membranes which should be your pure, it should have been ready to go straight out of the box just to connect your water supply from your tap,

Membranes are inserted exactly as shown in this photo with the end with the rubber washers inserted into the membrane housing the end with the small hole enables you to remove the membrane as needed as they will be wedged right in. also as mentioned previously the R/O will need flushing to get the TDS down to what you'd normally expect before connecting to your DI vessel
1710269115069.png

That R/O looks a right mess of a set up as @ched999uk pointed out earlier the pipe after the waste tap should be your waste outlet straight to the drain, then you should have single piece of pipe from one of the membranes which should be your pure, it should have been ready to go straight out of the box just to connect your water supply from your tap,

Membranes are inserted exactly as shown in this photo with the end with the rubber washers inserted into the membrane housing the end with the small hole enables you to remove the membrane as needed as they will be wedged right in. also as mentioned previously the R/O will need flushing to get the TDS down to what you'd normally expect before connecting to your DI vessel
View attachment 29777
It came all set up other than 3 places for hoses did look a little confusing compared to previous & no instructions very annoying ? I hope switching memebranes round will make a difference otherwise its going back

It came all set up other than 3 places for hoses did look a little confusing compared to previous & no instructions very annoying ? I hope switching memebranes round will make a difference otherwise its going back
The supplier will need to do a video chat with you to get it sorted it's the only way to ensure you have all the tubing in the correct place

Back