Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Soft Wash/pressure wash or both?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Herm

Went to quote up for a job last night. My idea was to take some hypo and do a test patch but I totally ran out on a previous job. I did add a touch of water to the empty barrel and tried applying it onto the wall but didn't do anything really.

Anyway, do you think with this would be worth pressure washing first then applying hypo afterwards? I was thinking the hypo wouldn't get of the white lichen on its own?

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20230712_161812209.jpg
    PXL_20230712_161812209.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20230712_161432704.jpg
    PXL_20230712_161432704.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20230712_161043407.jpg
    PXL_20230712_161043407.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20230712_161649842.jpg
    PXL_20230712_161649842.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20230712_161544364.jpg
    PXL_20230712_161544364.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 25
it's an exstention that's been added before they bought the house. you can see the two different coloured bricks but she seems to think they are different bricks. The darker ones are quite black and have loads of white lichen (I think that's what it is) covering vast amounts of the brickwork. I've done a couple of softwashing on brickwork and without the help of a pressure washer I've never been able to get it off?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

If it was me i would do sample patch on each wall I would think a soft wash would clean it fine but take pressure washer just incase it’s needed in areas this would be a good hot pw steam job a lot of local guys to me say they have steam but use hot box fan jet

it's an exstention that's been added before they bought the house. you can see the two different coloured bricks but she seems to think they are different bricks. The darker ones are quite black and have loads of white lichen (I think that's what it is) covering vast amounts of the brickwork. I've done a couple of softwashing on brickwork and without the help of a pressure washer I've never been able to get it off?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
A strong hypo mix will kill it but it can take some time to come off naturally, you could hypo it and pw that should remove it or pw then hypo it to kill any spores left

If it was me i would do sample patch on each wall I would think a soft wash would clean it fine but take pressure washer just incase it’s needed in areas this would be a good hot pw steam job a lot of local guys to me say they have steam but use hot box fan jet

I done a test patch with the little I had but it done nothing, though I think it might've been as it was to watery as there was very little in the bottom and I added some water to try it.
I don't have a hot box so what I think I'll do it, pressure wash the brickwork and afterwards apply some hypo to give it a nice finish. I have looked into hot boxes but not sure if they're worth the outlay.

A strong hypo mix will kill it but it can take some time to come off naturally, you could hypo it and pw that should remove it or pw then hypo it to kill any spores left
thanks as always Pjj. I think they want some instant results, so I'll pw then apply hypo after as it shouldn't take much to put some on.

Do you hypo then pw? or the other way around? I've always pressured then applied.

thanks as always Pjj. I think they want some instant results, so I'll pw then apply hypo after as it shouldn't take much to put some on.

Do you hypo then pw? or the other way around? I've always pressured then applied.
Personally I hypo first then pw , but know a lot that do it the other way , I don’t think there is a right or wrong , my reasoning was it needs rinsing after hypo application so that’s why I do it first , but roofs it doesn’t need rinsing . Let us know how it goes

Personally I hypo first then pw , but know a lot that do it the other way , I don’t think there is a right or wrong , my reasoning was it needs rinsing after hypo application so that’s why I do it first , but roofs it doesn’t need rinsing . Let us know how it goes
will do mate, I got the job and doing it next weekend so I'll let you know how it goes. Think I'll start with pressure wash and see how it goes. Thanks

Hard to get it to stick without extra surfactant in it and maybe a neat solution.
thanks Scottish. like i've said above I ran out on a previous job and totally forgot to leave some in the barrel for when I went to quote. I'm going to pw it first then apply some hypo with surfactant afterwards. I'm sure the pw will get most of it off and it's not a tall extension so I'm hoping it shouldn't be to bad (famous last words).

I do the same as I find as the hypo kills the lichen etc it releases it’s grip on the surface and comes off easier
Especially noticeable on patios with white and black spot although black spot is already dead
It must break it down a bit
Hard to get it to stick without extra surfactant in it and maybe a neat solution.
Why use neat hypo?

I do the same as I find as the hypo kills the lichen etc it releases it’s grip on the surface and comes off easier
Especially noticeable on patios with white and black spot although black spot is already dead
It must break it down a bit

Why use neat hypo?
If its difficult to remove then I use neat hypo and surfactant. If that doesn't work then not much else will clean it.

Hypo to emulsify the lichen, then fan it with the pressure washer. Reapply and repeat - to do it right you’d best use a pole coversion pressure washer - lots to consider so quote according

Definitely hypo first cos pressure washing alone isn't going to do much with lichen and you don't want to be blasting the hell out of brickwork.
You won't need it neat either and personally I wouldn't see the need for a p/washer on a job like this - hypo does all the work for you.
And bricks and mortar are not the same as paving slabs, and perhaps it's just me but I always prefer a more gentle approach where buildings are concerned and like too avoid too much pressure and too strong a mix.....and bear in mind, run off, window frames,doors etc - and prepare customers for the smell cos not everyone likes it

thanks for all your advice, went and done the job today (weather was horrific) and used hypo first was 100% the right call, so thank you. The stone come up lovely in the end though the white lichen wasn't shifting on it's own. So I put on the hypo and left it to dwell then I used the pressure washer to get it off.

Latest Posts

Back