Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Solar Panel Brush?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

yer that could happen i guess they are always producing electric even if they are turned off inside the property.

pure water dosent conduct electricity so that will be ok, depending what pole u use it could go through that,

personaly, not really looking that far into it
The notion that pure water does not conduct electricity is bonkers!!! Yes, ions conduct electricity, does de-ionised water water won't, right? Wrong! And here is the reason why:

Water by itself when very pure, i.e. deionized water, can conduct electricity but is explained by dissolved impurities because no water can completely be free of impurities. So deionized water can conduct, from experiment, 5.5 × 10^-6 S·m^-1. This is a tiny amount compared to the conductivity of Silver which has a conductivity of 63.01 × 10^6 S·m^-1, which relatively is hunormous /emoticons/wink.png. The polarity of water (the dipole-dipole nature of hydrogen and oxygen in water) cannot carry an electric current due to the overall molecule being neutral, only ions can.

We work closely with 2 major solar installers, both of whom check the array with a thermal imaging camera for hotspots and then turn off the panels completely to eliminate the risk of electrocution.

In conclusion, you can be electrocuted from cleaning solar panels, even with pure water and especially if doing so with metal poles.

4 years ago Report Abuse

The notion that pure water does not conduct electricity is bonkers!!! Yes, ions conduct electricity, does de-ionised water water won't, right?
[media]

[/media]just one of 100's of videos to prove that it dosent conduct it!

depends on how pure you water is, the more ppm your water is the high chance you can get shocked from it!

like you say also types of poles also factor into it.

The vid not working on my I-something. Is it the one where the guy has fresh water and sea water? If so, surely when cleaning coastal solar panels with salt deposits on, this adds enough mineral impurity to the pure water to make it spark? I'm gonna be cleaning a solar park in Cornwall come the spring. My water will be 0 ppm and I will take a reading with water that has run off the panel. Will be interesting to see the difference. With 22,000 panels to clean, it only needs one bad one and I have a lot of paperwork to fill out!

he has pure water in a beaker and puts live wires in it to try to light a light build, dips the wires in and nothing happens. Then he adds things to it and it lights up.

People do use tap water straight onto solar panels and nothing happens. If you think about it if it rains and the panels get wet and the house etc then that could come live and cause problems. If they are fitted correctly and maintain then they will be fine and never shock you.

That's just one of many.....!!! There is huge scope when you know how to tap into the market. Jobs like that have not come overnight. There has been a lot of research, branding, website design, exposure and networking, etc. One contract I am in talks for is 253 sites, all of which are 50kw and the largest is 4.9mw. Like I say in my intro, I want to network because if I get that one contract, I need to make some professional solar panel cleaning friends!!!

Solar panel cleaning is about to go massive in the UK. Someone needs to clean all these panels and it may as well be us.

Might be a silly question but how can you turn off solar panel arrays completely as if each solar panel is still exposed to sunlight surely will continue to generate dc current?

The notion that pure water does not conduct electricity is bonkers!!! Yes, ions conduct electricity, does de-ionised water water won't, right? Wrong! And here is the reason why:

Water by itself when very pure, i.e. deionized water, can conduct electricity but is explained by dissolved impurities because no water can completely be free of impurities. So deionized water can conduct, from experiment, 5.5 × 10^-6 S·m^-1. This is a tiny amount compared to the conductivity of Silver which has a conductivity of 63.01 × 10^6 S·m^-1, which relatively is hunormous /emoticons/wink.png. The polarity of water (the dipole-dipole nature of hydrogen and oxygen in water) cannot carry an electric current due to the overall molecule being neutral, only ions can.

We work closely with 2 major solar installers, both of whom check the array with a thermal imaging camera for hotspots and then turn off the panels completely to eliminate the risk of electrocution.

In conclusion, you can be electrocuted from cleaning solar panels, even with pure water and especially if doing so with metal poles.

4 years ago Report Abuse

Might be a silly question but how can you turn off solar panel arrays completely as if each solar panel is still exposed to sunlight surely will continue to generate dc current?
You can't turn them off!

Most solar arrays have two kill switches on either side of the inverter. That makes for places that need to be turned off before the thing is really … OFF. Even after this array is OFF, the panels are still ON. They are always ON during the day. You can’t cover them and turn them OFF. Snow won’t turn them OFF. Nothing except nighttime will turn them OFF. The only way to turn the OFF is to remove the J-Box and wires, which will destroy them … so rule of thumb … solar panels are always ON during the day … no matter what you do.

wow i forgot how chemistry was untill just before i left school and burnt of my friends eye lashes and band from any all science projects at school and at college /emoticons/biggrin.png :lol: :rolleyes: /emoticons/ph34r.png

Back