Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Squeegee scrapes

WCF

Help Support WCF:

poulton

Hi folks,

I'm not a window cleaner but I have a cleaning business and one client asked us to do the windows in her apartment complex.

Not being a professional, I accidentally scratched or scraped the glass in question. I used a spray bottle with dish soap and water but I don't think the glass was wet enough for the squeegee to glide as a squeegee should and it left a mark.

In your guys experience is a squeegee scratch shallow enough that it can be fixed without resorting to sanding, which I'm not experienced with either and I could make the issue a thousand times worse.

Cheers

If you can feel it with your finger nail then polishing is probably not an option.
I would say either get a glazing company to replace the unit or if it's big and expensive speak to your insurance company - as long as you have cover for glass being worked on.

If you can feel it with your finger nail then polishing is probably not an option.
I would say either get a glazing company to replace the unit or if it's big and expensive speak to your insurance company - as long as you have cover for glass being worked on.
Usually the excess is £250 minimum for an insurance claim , depending on the size of the unit it will probably cost £40-90 tops so much more cost effective to pay for it rather than go through insurance

Question. Are you absolutely sure you scratched the window in question and that your cleaning didn't just expose a mark that was already there? This is not an effort to encourage you to try to get away with something you know for sure you did do, but might be worth thinking about before you make a decision.

The reason I ask is that I have cleaned windows for 47 years, 30 of which were traditional only, using both stainless steel and brass squeegees and never once scratched a window with them. They are deliberately made of materials that are 'glass friendly' for professional use. In my experience it's quite difficult to scratch glass with these tools unless you trap grit under the blade and use it virtually dry. Even though I now use wfp I still occasionally use a squeegee with just pure water, no soap, and have no problem at all.

I will say however, that what I have said does not apply to squeegees with aluminium channels, the kind sold for home use, ie; non professional ones. Aluminium can scratch glass.

Just something to consider.

It's usually something picked up on the aplicator sleave which scratches the glass, small stone can be picked up etc. It's happened to me twice and on both occasions I phoned a guy I found using the search on Google. Can't remember how much it cost the other year, I think it was £70.

@poulton exactly as @Marko067 said are you absolutely sure you scratched it? That's pretty hard to do with a squeegee. Don't take the blame for something you haven't done, but if it's definitely you're fault you might find a local window fitter will replace it cheaper than your insurance excess.

Hi folks,

I'm not a window cleaner but I have a cleaning business and one client asked us to do the windows in her apartment complex.

Not being a professional, I accidentally scratched or scraped the glass in question. I used a spray bottle with dish soap and water but I don't think the glass was wet enough for the squeegee to glide as a squeegee should and it left a mark.

In your guys experience is a squeegee scratch shallow enough that it can be fixed without resorting to sanding, which I'm not experienced with either and I could make the issue a thousand times worse.

Cheers
so what you do is say as i was cleaning the window i noticed these scratches that have been made previousley end of your pressure

Question. Are you absolutely sure you scratched the window in question and that your cleaning didn't just expose a mark that was already there? This is not an effort to encourage you to try to get away with something you know for sure you did do, but might be worth thinking about before you make a decision.

The reason I ask is that I have cleaned windows for 47 years, 30 of which were traditional only, using both stainless steel and brass squeegees and never once scratched a window with them. They are deliberately made of materials that are 'glass friendly' for professional use. In my experience it's quite difficult to scratch glass with these tools unless you trap grit under the blade and use it virtually dry. Even though I now use wfp I still occasionally use a squeegee with just pure water, no soap, and have no problem at all.

I will say however, that what I have said does not apply to squeegees with aluminium channels, the kind sold for home use, ie; non professional ones. Aluminium can scratch glass.

Just something to consider.
bang on

Well mate your not a brickie but if you built a wall and it weren't straight you would get it sorted at ur cost whatever the price wouldn't ya? And then never try to be a brickie again I guess. So sort it and leave the window cleaning to the pros in future.
No offence.

It's usually something picked up on the applicator sleeve which scratches the glass, small stone can be picked up etc. It's happened to me twice and on both occasions I phoned a guy I found using the search on Google. Can't remember how much it cost the other year, I think it was £70.
This why we clean our applicator sleeves with small pressure cleaner
Cleans and gets the grit out of the applicator sleeves
Quick and easy.

Back