Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Struggling / not sure where to go with myself

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi all,

I'm turning 23 in a week or so and I've lost a load of motivation since I started up in December 23.

Currently got 153 customers and it roughly brings in £1900 a month (according to squeegee)

Problem is I am not happy with that and I want to be bringing in another £1000 so I can pay myself as I've not been getting paid at all everything is going back into the business. I'm thinking of getting a loan to pay canvassers as I've tried myself and I'm not the best at it I struggle to find areas to go and I've got 5k leaflets to going out but I haven't had a single call from them as of yet.

I was wondering how do I scale my business to find customers better or should I pay for canvassing to get the extra work in or is there any tips on how to find areas to target to be able to get the work in.

Hope that makes sense to you all thanks for reading hope you're all out earning and keeping the ladders up and poles high.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 1000003833.jpg
    1000003833.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 3
Sounds to me like you are doing ok , less than 5 months doing 1900 a month isn’t to bad at all , just up scale what you are doing you will start getting referrals and recommendations from existing customers, ask them do they have friend / family that might need a window cleaner ? I have never used a canvasser I always did it myself , once you get established the work will come to you . Do you have a sign written van that’s the cheapest form of advertising you will get , have you got a website? Again once it ranks well this should bring in lots of enquiries.

Sounds to me like you are doing ok , less than 5 months doing 1900 a month isn’t to bad at all , just up scale what you are doing you will start getting referrals and recommendations from existing customers, ask them do they have friend / family that might need a window cleaner ? I have never used a canvasser I always did it myself , once you get established the work will come to you . Do you have a sign written van that’s the cheapest form of advertising you will get , have you got a website? Again once it ranks well this should bring in lots of enquiries.
Yeah mate, sign written van, website but it's not ranking very well not something I've bothered with yet tbh. Facebook ads was working well but the lead prices have shot up now the weathers better. Feel like I should be doing more than I should I know I'm doing very well but at the same time think I could be doing a lot better. Lost alot of confidence in myself last time I went out canvassing and I tried again today few hours only picked up one customer. Going to go out again tomorrow and Friday maybe Saturday morning if I get chance before I've got to go football.

Thank you mate appreciate the input

If you are spending £1900 a month on expenses then maybe slow the expansion and take a wage.
You are doing well with 150 customers in just 5 months.
Alright ched see you on Chris Addis' channel a lot mate hope your keeping well!

Not necessarily spending that much do have around 1k banked at a time. Expenses come up to around 500-600 van insurance being majority of that then other bits and pieces insurance water costs fuel bla bla bla.

Every time I've had enough to upgrade I've done it.

Second pole 18&27 now
Gutter vac
Van signage
Flyers
Uniform
Recently bought a hot water system £800 second hand and I want to get a electric reel also that's the next thing in there agenda.

Any cash jobs I just use that to treat myself but I've got next to no bills per month and I do have a second income which brings in roughly 500 a month so that's just what I live off gym expenses, food etc etc but I do want to be able to take more from the cleaning so I can afford to give myself a few hundred per week wage so I can start buying myself some nice things but I don't want to really do it till I've got everything I need plus expenses banked for the business really struggling to expand more than 2-3 customers per week ideally want to be going for 8+ per week instead

@Ethan EZ -Clean wow mate that is a phenomenal rate of customers you've gained. If you are reinvesting all you earn I admire you but personally I'd slow it down and take a wage out. If you know what percentage of your turnover is profit then take a percentage out once a week so you can have a bit of a life for yourself. Someone on here says "turnover is vanity, profit is sanity" and they are spot on. PS. Don't be surprised if the leaflets turn into some customers further down the line. I put leaflets out sometimes and often months later someone will ring up.

@Ethan EZ -Clean wow mate that is a phenomenal rate of customers you've gained. If you are reinvesting all you earn I admire you but personally I'd slow it down and take a wage out. If you know what percentage of your turnover is profit then take a percentage out once a week so you can have a bit of a life for yourself. Someone on here says "turnover is vanity, profit is sanity" and they are spot on. PS. Don't be surprised if the leaflets turn into some customers further down the line. I put leaflets out sometimes and often months later someone will ring up.
Thanks mate, will remember that quote. Yeah basically what would essentially be my wage now is going back into buying better equipment & getting bits and pieces I need/want. Hoping to add some more customers on the days I'm quiet as I do really need to get the extra income up asap I'm 6 weekly instead of the average 4 weekly due to wanting to minimise skips and also I can justify charging higher than most round here. Do feel like I should be doing better considering I've got a lot of spare time but I'm at a loss with my confidence a lot of the time. I'm gonna try have a good day on the doors tomorrow and see if I can pull in any extra customers

I forgot that insurance for younger people is a killer! By the sound of it all you have left to buy is an electric reel, well done. Give yourself a pat on the back, not a lot of young people have your motivation and work ethic.

Chris is just up the road from me, not that I realised that when I watched his early vids, we have met up and had a chat, he has a lot more confidence than me :) .

I also do 6 weekly for similar reasons. I have been going about 3 years but as I am significantly older I don't have big monthly outgoings.

If you have time then that is perfect to increase your customers at zero costs. Get out there and door knock, look professional, smile and be polite. You will get knock backs but that just means you are closer to your next new customer, if they say no it's not personal just knock the next door. If you don't get any new customers in an area then switch to a different area - ideally try where you have existing customers as that keeps your round compact.
Leaflets do work but on low % i.e. 0.5 to 1% I have had people come back to me after 12 months to ask for a quote as they had building work going on etc.. Some people will also pass on leaflets to family members etc.

I grew up in Wallasey, where are you based?

Ah really? Chris is boss spent hours on the phone with him was supposed to meet up with him at the expo but couldn't make it.

That's the idea I've got customers were I have just them so when Im going to that area I'll use Facebook ads and target that area of leaflet it but I'm going to go door knocking with the same idea in mind. Yeah leaflets are hit and miss but 1% of 5000 is 50 which recoups the money spent on leaflets and more so it's a good ROI if it pulls off.

I'm down the road I live between the north end & claughton village went to school at mosslands though funnily enough & the misses is from Wallasey. Small world!

Hi all,

I'm turning 23 in a week or so and I've lost a load of motivation since I started up in December 23.

Currently got 153 customers and it roughly brings in £1900 a month (according to squeegee)

Problem is I am not happy with that and I want to be bringing in another £1000 so I can pay myself as I've not been getting paid at all everything is going back into the business. I'm thinking of getting a loan to pay canvassers as I've tried myself and I'm not the best at it I struggle to find areas to go and I've got 5k leaflets to going out but I haven't had a single call from them as of yet.

I was wondering how do I scale my business to find customers better or should I pay for canvassing to get the extra work in or is there any tips on how to find areas to target to be able to get the work in.

Hope that makes sense to you all thanks for reading hope you're all out earning and keeping the ladders up and poles high.

Cheers!
Dust yourself off hold your head up and congratulate yourself on your achievements so far.
It's a bloody tough business and one that will consume 90% of your life

I would stay well away from loads and their cut throat rates
What are the services you already offer and what others could you provide to bolster your client base

Window cleaning will bring in smaller amounts of money compared to pressure washing where you can being in 2k on one good job.
The uptake on advertising from my experience is approximately 2 to 3 customers per 1000
I'd minimise your expenses on leaflets and focus more on face to face meetings

Contact your local council and housing associations, care homes and large volume landlords

Yeah mate, sign written van, website but it's not ranking very well not something I've bothered with yet tbh. Facebook ads was working well but the lead prices have shot up now the weathers better. Feel like I should be doing more than I should I know I'm doing very well but at the same time think I could be doing a lot better. Lost alot of confidence in myself last time I went out canvassing and I tried again today few hours only picked up one customer. Going to go out again tomorrow and Friday maybe Saturday morning if I get chance before I've got to go football.

Hi
I started in Oct 22 no customers I pitched my neighbours and surrounding streets, my advice would be to join local groups on Facebook I use watered pole no traditional work, I would make a Facebook page hopefully you have one set up and we clean all the frames the glass the vents plastic sills and fully wash down all external doors prices start from £14 every 5 weeks. I use text local and send them a text night before offer cash or go cardless, you need to set your self apart from the competition.
I've never paid for adds only Facebook and set up a Google page all from scratch I've now got over 400 customers that generate £5,900 a month I like yourself reinvested in my business taken on an employee and earn about £3k every month trust me what I did works it's just getting your name out there. If you need anything else know just let me know.
Tommy

Ah really? Chris is boss spent hours on the phone with him was supposed to meet up with him at the expo but couldn't make it.

That's the idea I've got customers were I have just them so when Im going to that area I'll use Facebook ads and target that area of leaflet it but I'm going to go door knocking with the same idea in mind. Yeah leaflets are hit and miss but 1% of 5000 is 50 which recoups the money spent on leaflets and more so it's a good ROI if it pulls off.

I'm down the road I live between the north end & claughton village went to school at mosslands though funnily enough & the misses is from Wallasey. Small world!
I went to school at Mosslands as well!! Think I left way back in about 1985 🤣 Went to college on Borough Rd.
Chris is about 3 miles from me!

Dust yourself off hold your head up and congratulate yourself on your achievements so far.
It's a bloody tough business and one that will consume 90% of your life

I would stay well away from loads and their cut throat rates
What are the services you already offer and what others could you provide to bolster your client base

Window cleaning will bring in smaller amounts of money compared to pressure washing where you can being in 2k on one good job.
The uptake on advertising from my experience is approximately 2 to 3 customers per 1000
I'd minimise your expenses on leaflets and focus more on face to face meetings

Contact your local council and housing associations, care homes and large volume landlords
Hi mate, thanks for the word of encouragement.

Not a fan of pressure washing tbh the start up costs then everything else I did offer it for a little bit and was doing it with another lad but I just don't fancy it and then I was getting overbooked with window work along side and it set me back a bit.

Normally I do 4 days a week (not every week some I'm empty) on the glass then do FSG, gutters, Conny roofs and I have been offering internal window cleaning as I do have shops I do trad so I'm fairly diverse.

Wouldn't know where to start with the council but they're **** tbh so staying away from them, care homes etc good shout I do have a friend who's a manager at one who could possibly get me in touch may be worth a try.

Cheers!

Hi
I started in Oct 22 no customers I pitched my neighbours and surrounding streets, my advice would be to join local groups on Facebook I use watered pole no traditional work, I would make a Facebook page hopefully you have one set up and we clean all the frames the glass the vents plastic sills and fully wash down all external doors prices start from £14 every 5 weeks. I use text local and send them a text night before offer cash or go cardless, you need to set your self apart from the competition.
I've never paid for adds only Facebook and set up a Google page all from scratch I've now got over 400 customers that generate £5,900 a month I like yourself reinvested in my business taken on an employee and earn about £3k every month trust me what I did works it's just getting your name out there. If you need anything else know just let me know.
Tommy
That's quality mate!

I started at £14 on 4 weekly but gone to £18 every 6 weeks but I may come down slightly to get more regular customers and once I'm abit busier get my pricing back up 🤔

Facebook page is at 400 odd followers and website is well built but haven't really done SEO work on it apart from the standard stuff. My local area within a 10 min drive is packed full of trads charging £8 and my road has a cleaner lovely guy but is charging £6 WFP so he's practically got every house in my near area.

I offer GC, Bank transfer & also cash I don't want to funnel customers into a payment system as it decreases your rate of gaining customers from my experience.

How did you go about getting yourself out there building the round do you have a certain way of being on the door selling? I'm not bothered about some cleaners charging £20 min per house or turning over 500 quid a day I like being a one man band at the moment it's easy to manage and I can gain customers by being myself and being a young lad trying to do something with themselves which is rare by mine it's a dump 😂

I always text night before without fail it's the best way to do things makes you seem professional & also I show up in my blue tops every time with black shorts and trainers.

Would love to have a good chat with you would you text me your number and once I'm back from coaching at football tonight could give you a buzz?

hi mate, first off congratulations on your 150+ customers since starting out less than six months ago (remember that)
you've done very well for yourself.
i can guess that before this you were in an employed job?,
Thanks mate 😁

Yeah been employed since I was 14 first job was a paper round and worked part time at a car wash for £2 a hour 😂 been in a couple different trades but mostly car mechanic and had the odd other job one in a call centre through lockdown and also worked at Halfords for a few years as a salesman and parts fitter. The sales was mostly upselling so I didn't find that very hard once I knew what to say and how to say it but with windows trying to sell a ongoing service I'm struggling

As window cleaning is a repeat business the sales are a little different. The customer needs to like you and trust you as you will potentially be on their property when they are not at home.
So sell your service (frames, sills, glass, text night before, easy payment, etc) and sell yourself. I always check if they want 6 weekly before I give the price, just in case it's a 1 off.

As window cleaning is a repeat business the sales are a little different. The customer needs to like you and trust you as you will potentially be on their property when they are not at home.
So sell your service (frames, sills, glass, text night before, easy payment, etc) and sell yourself. I always check if they want 6 weekly before I give the price, just in case it's a 1 off.
Will do mate. I always tone down the accent when I come by to knock doors. Gonna go door knocking on the weekends and maybe some Friday nights when people are home doing it in the week is a waste of time I think

Ethan, imho YOU need to canvass - custies like to see exactly *who* will be their windy. Yes it’s a slog - but we’ve ALL (almost) have been where you are. Possibly consider offering addons-it’s one thing to get a regular £38 windows job compared with an initial £1200 job to clean pretty much every single surface on their home! Offer it and they will come! Target high net worth areas if feasible as they have FAR more disposable income. Dress smart causal - smart jeans shoes (not trainers) and smart casual shirt - and project confidence whilst wondering how on earth are you going to cope with such a daunting job. Discipline - have set days you WILL leaflet drop and then canvass a few days later …come what may! Remember you are not inventing the wheel - many have been where you are - success is the reward of the successful. Work smarter not faster - £££ is king - turnover is vanity - profit is sanity!

Ethan, imho YOU need to canvass - custies like to see exactly *who* will be their windy. Yes it’s a slog - but we’ve ALL (almost) have been where you are. Possibly consider offering addons-it’s one thing to get a regular £38 windows job compared with an initial £1200 job to clean pretty much every single surface on their home! Offer it and they will come! Target high net worth areas if feasible as they have FAR more disposable income. Dress smart causal - smart jeans shoes (not trainers) and smart casual shirt - and project confidence whilst wondering how on earth are you going to cope with such a daunting job. Discipline - have set days you WILL leaflet drop and then canvass a few days later …come what may! Remember you are not inventing the wheel - many have been where you are - success is the reward of the successful. Work smarter not faster - £££ is king - turnover is vanity - profit is sanity!
Thanks No name will take them suggestions on board.

I tend to stay away from lower class areas as the windys are always too cheap against to compete in them areas I know this by being from a lower class area and knowing the cleaners personally 😂 Most of my customers base is middle to higher class. I'm pretty good at upselling from past experience to my own customer but new customers I do find it a bit harder.

Just thought I'd add I just booked in 3 new customers last night from leaflets £18-£20 each 3 bed homes. Sunday is my next canvassing day the vans going in for some repairs tonight & I've also got a football game to go too (part as my new second job as a keeper coach for my football team I had to leave)

Things are looking up glad I got to vent and get some advice from the experienced lads thanks for all your support😁

1. Chap doors either side of a property you clean (if not already a customer). Ditto properties across street or nearby. It takes minutes (short spiel) and the answer is always 1. Got a cleaner 2. Do them myself/not interested or 3. Please price. if 3, they normally always say yes.

2. Leaflets are a waste of time in my mind. Conversion rate must be so low for almost all window cleaners.

3. Get on new estates just as the first person occupies the first house. Clean it, chap neighbours - do this all the time to become dominant force in the estate

Back