Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Submergible pump

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Ocahan01

I’ve recently bought and ibc 1000ltr holding tank to produce pure water. I’ve also bought a submersible pump and a lay flat hose to transfer to the van.
I intend to cut the top of the ibc to drop the pump into . My question is do I then cut a small hole in the tank to feed the power cable through so the pump stays permanently submerged after sealing the slit up again ?
Do I also need to cut a hole for the outlet out of the tank or can I pull the pump up towards the lid and fit the outlet every time I want to transfer ?
Apologies for the ignorance on this subject but I have been previously filling straight to the van with a portable ro . This have become annoying as I don’t have a driveway so have to pull hoses etc over a public footpath.

I’ve recently bought and ibc 1000ltr holding tank to produce pure water. I’ve also bought a submersible pump and a lay flat hose to transfer to the van.
I intend to cut the top of the ibc to drop the pump into . My question is do I then cut a small hole in the tank to feed the power cable through so the pump stays permanently submerged after sealing the slit up again ?
Do I also need to cut a hole for the outlet out of the tank or can I pull the pump up towards the lid and fit the outlet every time I want to transfer ?
Apologies for the ignorance on this subject but I have been previously filling straight to the van with a portable ro . This have become annoying as I don’t have a driveway so have to pull hoses etc over a public footpath.
I would take great care when playing with water and sparks

I don't understand why cutting holes in the IBC is necessary.
There are plenty of submersible pumps available that fit into an IBC top cap

I just use a high flow rate external pump and utilise the 50mm standard IBC ball valve.

Lay flat is not worth using as it's not stable or easy to hold because there's no wall strength use rigid suction hose or large bore garden hose or buy a second hand wall mounted fire hose.

Firstly you'll need to understand IP ratings, insulation and protection. Get a quality name brand plug in RCD and cut the standard plug off your pump and use a cable gland if you are wishing to keep your tank clean and free from dust etc or drill out the IBC top cap vent hole and pass your cable through that and reattach a 13amp plug

disclaimer
All of the aforementioned is a suggestion and not a how to. Understanding electrical installations and the correct practices is not something everyone knows so caution must be used when dealing with 220v and you do so at your own risk

Below is an example of passing hoses are cables into an IBC without hacking tons of holes

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220310-081315_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220310-081315_Instagram.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 5
I would take great care when playing with water and sparks

I don't understand why cutting holes in the IBC is necessary.
There are plenty of submersible pumps available that fit into an IBC top cap

I just use a high flow rate external pump and utilise the 50mm standard IBC ball valve.

Lay flat is not worth using as it's not stable or easy to hold because there's no wall strength use rigid suction hose or large bore garden hose or buy a second hand wall mounted fire hose.

Firstly you'll need to understand IP ratings, insulation and protection. Get a quality name brand plug in RCD and cut the standard plug off your pump and use a cable gland if you are wishing to keep your tank clean and free from dust etc or drill out the IBC top cap vent hole and pass your cable through that and reattach a 13amp plug

disclaimer
All of the aforementioned is a suggestion and not a how to. Understanding electrical installations and the correct practices is not something everyone knows so caution must be used when dealing with 220v and you do so at your own risk

Below is an example of passing hoses are cables into an IBC without hacking tons of holes
Hi, thanks for your advice . Could you point me in the direction of a sub pump that fits the ibc hole ? It’s 6 inches in diameter and I had trouble sourcing one , thanks ?

Hi, thanks for your advice . Could you point me in the direction of a sub pump that fits the ibc hole ? It’s 6 inches in diameter and I had trouble sourcing one , thanks ?
When you say had trouble sourcing one where did you look?
How many lpm are you wanting ?
Have a look at a Medas 550w on amazon for example

When you say had trouble sourcing one where did you look?
How many lpm are you wanting ?
Have a look at a Medas 550w on amazon for example
Thanks for the recommendation, I have looked at loads of pumps and somehow missed this medas one . Just over 5 inches in diameter so it would be perfect for the ibc.

Gardiner pole systems sell a slimline submersible pump, it can even fit in a barrel. Not sure what the flow rate is though.
Lay flat is an absolute pain as it doesn't go around corners and will kink where it comes out of the tank.
Be aware that Gardiners pump is 51mm diameter and I wasn't able to find a 25 litre barrel that it fitted in!
I did use mine to transfer from water butt to 25 litre barrels via 10m of 25mm pipe and I would say about 25l per min.
I believe they are the same as the ones sold on amazon but gardiners ones come with 19mm hose and clip.

Back