Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

TAPs WFP transition thread.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I just bought two 280litre water butts from B&M and put a link pipe at the bottom. Takes up less space and nice easy access.
Got two 220 ones sorted already, for rain water harvesting, this is just so I don't have to constantly be worried about filling up every night, overflowing, etc. I do Jiu Jitsu or judo 4 nights a week so it'll just make life a bit easier.

Don't know how big the hole is in the top of your tank, but I have a 400ltr upright tank and I have to remove the elbow on my pump to get it through the the hole and then refit the elbow inside the tank. It's a right fiddle holding the pump up with one hand and fitting the elbow with the other but it worked for me.

IBC container just turned up at I was leaving. It's a big ugly beast but I'm looking forward to cleaning it up tonight and getting it filled.I'm going to have to cut a hole in the top for my transfer pump unless anyone has any better ideas?
If its the same as mine (1000L) , what I did was cut an'x' shape across the hole with a Stanley knife, push the pump through so the cuts let the plastic drop. They will flick back up once the pump is through

Don't know how big the hole is in the top of your tank, but I have a 400ltr upright tank and I have to remove the elbow on my pump to get it through the the hole and then refit the elbow inside the tank. It's a right fiddle holding the pump up with one hand and fitting the elbow with the other but it worked for me.
This is what I was hoping I would be able to do, but the base of the pump is just a tad wide. I ended up cutting a large rectangle at the top so it's a nice easy fit. As a temporary measure I'm using a rubber ladder standoff as a lid, but I have a few ideas for the future.

If its the same as mine (1000L) , what I did was cut an'x' shape across the hole with a Stanley knife, push the pump through so the cuts let the plastic drop. They will flick back up once the pump is through
That's a good idea mate. Might have worked for me too. I ended up using my fein multi tool to cut a hole. It didn't make too much mess in the bottom, and cleaned out easy enough. I did it at the highest point of the container so that rubbish, sap, waste, etc doesn't wash down into the clean water.

Quick question, do you guys leave the pump submerged, or do you take it out each time after use? I'm going to lower it down with a rope so it's easy to retrieve.

Under 10 would work but i buy mine at 0

I wouldn't want to risk it personally over about 3

This is what I was hoping I would be able to do, but the base of the pump is just a tad wide. I ended up cutting a large rectangle at the top so it's a nice easy fit. As a temporary measure I'm using a rubber ladder standoff as a lid, but I have a few ideas for the future.

That's a good idea mate. Might have worked for me too. I ended up using my fein multi tool to cut a hole. It didn't make too much mess in the bottom, and cleaned out easy enough. I did it at the highest point of the container so that rubbish, sap, waste, etc doesn't wash down into the clean water.

Quick question, do you guys leave the pump submerged, or do you take it out each time after use? I'm going to lower it down with a rope so it's easy to retrieve.
Yes, I leave mine submerged. Been in there nearly 9 years now without a problem.

I will work up to 004, never had a problem. Just remember, when the sun is blaring down on a particular window, slow the rinsing right down

Yes, I leave mine submerged. Been in there nearly 9 years now without a problem.I will work up to 004, never had a problem. Just remember, when the sun is blaring down on a particular window, slow the rinsing right down
Nice one, hoped that would be the case. And top tip on the rinse.:thumbsup:

Mine has a float switch too. I've had to tie it up as when it is allowed to fall it cuts off power to the pump when there is still a lot of water in the tank.

Mine has a float switch too. I've had to tie it up as when it is allowed to fall it cuts off power to the pump when there is still a lot of water in the tank.
I've had that same problem. Had me puzzled the other day. My Mrs threw away the instructions before I gave them a glance. In the end I figured it out and had one hand in the water but pushing the switch down, and one hand ready on the plug to turn it on with a knee on the hose while I filled up barrels.

Do you have a nozzle on your transfer hose? I bought one but I'm not sure it will be compatible with the pump. As in, the pump will idle once it encounters pressure from the nozzle being off.

Just bought a blancking cap for the Inc container. I don't want my lad knocking the handle and wasting a tonne of pure.

I fitted a nozzle (similar to a petrol pump handle). Once you've finished filling up, let go of the trigger, then unplug the submersible pump. Simples

I fitted a nozzle (similar to a petrol pump handle). Once you've finished filling up, let go of the trigger, then unplug the submersible pump. Simples
Nice, it's in the post. Should make life easier.

Hmm.. I'm averaging one whinge a day due to the changeover. Be interesting to see how many I lose in the next few months. I'm just acting all positive about it and rinsing as much as possible.

Do you have a nozzle on your transfer hose? I bought one but I'm not sure it will be compatible with the pump. As in, the pump will idle once it encounters pressure from the nozzle being off.
When you've fitted your nozzle make sure your transfer hose is attached firmly to your pump. I found that when I let go the trigger the sudden back pressure kept blowing the hose off the pump. Either a large jubilee clip or a couple of sturdy cable ties pulled nice and tight should do it.

Hmm.. I'm averaging one whinge a day due to the changeover. Be interesting to see how many I lose in the next few months. I'm just acting all positive about it and rinsing as much as possible.
You will possibly lose a few. Some just don't like change. Even had one claim a phobia with water. Had me running up n down ladders for some time after I switched. Then one day I saw her walking outside in the rain with a brolly looking quite calm and realised what a mug I'd been. I was determined not to fall for that one again.

My changeover went surprisingly well but I'd only been tradding for a year before I switched.

I just cracked on and explained what I was doing if the customer was home. I was really positive about it to the customers too and told them to let me know if there was any problems. A lot of customers commented on how extra clean and shiny the windows looked once they'd dried.

About three or four months after changing to wfp I went to one house that I'd been cleaning for months. It was the first time the lady was home since I'd made the change. I was immediately met with negativity and she told me she wasn't sure she wanted them cleaned "that way". I pointed out to her that I'd cleaned them "that way" for the last three or four months and she soon backed down.

When you've fitted your nozzle make sure your transfer hose is attached firmly to your pump. I found that when I let go the trigger the sudden back pressure kept blowing the hose off the pump. Either a large jubilee clip or a couple of sturdy cable ties pulled nice and tight should do it.

You will possibly lose a few. Some just don't like change. Even had one claim a phobia with water. Had me running up n down ladders for some time after I switched. Then one day I saw her walking outside in the rain with a brolly looking quite calm and realised what a mug I'd been. I was determined not to fall for that one again.
Cheers mate, already got a nice big assortment box of jubilee clips, need to order a load of o clips for the pole today though...those little sods are expensive Eh.

Some people are not especially happy, but they are just going to have to lump it. It's a decision I have made for myself, not for them. I already have a few that I'm not going to be changing, a couple of neighbours, bungalows, and some deep Georgian style ones, but no one else is getting the choice.

Old biddies?
A broad mix really. Got a minor complaint today where she said 'it doesn't clean as well.... it's even left my kids sun tan lotion hand prints on the double doors. She was right, so I just went back and tradded that. That was my own fault though as I should have looked at the glass before cleaning.

Back