Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

The best product for k-rend cleaning.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

chrish

Good morning all. i have a couple of houses to clean, exterior k-rend with a lot of red and black alga, this side of thing's is new to me, always been involved with drive and patio cleaning at high pressure,
I have purchased pump,wtp and such to start undertaking this type of work, my question and help needs are, can i use just hypo,? i have 14% at mo, do i need surfactant in a hypo mix, i have purchased a cleaner reconmended by k-rend but as stated on container and on this site, its a 50.50 mix which tells me its not very strong, ie one part cleaner to one part water, so if i have a wall that needs treating at 100mtrs square , how much of this product do i need, would seem a lot, this will be my first wall, so can you please tell , what products would be best . regards chris

You are also going to need to be kitted out like you're going into chemical warfare as well and you need a full respirator mask and full PPE I looked into it years ago and decided it wasn't for me, it ain't just a case of spraying on a building and walking away there is lots of health and safety considerations to yourself your clients their home and garden also the general public.

I looked into this sort of thing some time ago and as far as I can recall the products sold / recommended by Weber and K Rend are fungicide / biocide apray and leave types.
In which case they're probably BAC / DDAC based and may take some time to show results. I can't comment on their effectiveness because I've never used them. In terms of how much you'll need, the product label will say what the coverage in sqm per litre of diluted mix.
If you want to go down the biocidal spray and leave route I know @Pjj had some excellent results recently using Benz BioCleanze.

I think you're probably right that it may not be that strong and I know my personal view was it could be an expensive way of doing things with unknown results so I prefer hypo - especially with red algae. All the above comments are perfectly accurate and valid and hypo needs treating with a lot of respect and care. Be very careful about where you apply it and bear in mind run-off on to things like metal, lead, tarmac, plants, lawns, people, pets and your own welfare.
Always better to use a weaker mix and reapply rather than go in too strong.
Using hypo is 1 of those times when you should carry out a risk assessment in your head at least, and look for where and how things could go wrong, and have a hosepope with fresh water on stand by.

Benz Softwash is an excellent information resource on softwashing in general, techniques, risks, suitable surfaces, types of products etc etc and good place to start your research on the subject.

I would suggest going on a softwashing course. There is more to it than might appear.
ive looked at to that in the past, there's a big waiting time to get on a course, i was hoping just for a slight bit of information, just so i can complete a wall or two, be it at my expense. thanks for reply

I looked into this sort of thing some time ago and as far as I can recall the products sold / recommended by Weber and K Rend are fungicide / biocide apray and leave types.
In which case they're probably BAC / DDAC based and may take some time to show results. I can't comment on their effectiveness because I've never used them. In terms of how much you'll need, the product label will say what the coverage in sqm per litre of diluted mix.
If you want to go down the biocidal spray and leave route I know @Pjj had some excellent results recently using Benz BioCleanze.

I think you're probably right that it may not be that strong and I know my personal view was it could be an expensive way of doing things with unknown results so I prefer hypo - especially with red algae. All the above comments are perfectly accurate and valid and hypo needs treating with a lot of respect and care. Be very careful about where you apply it and bear in mind run-off on to things like metal, lead, tarmac, plants, lawns, people, pets and your own welfare.
Always better to use a weaker mix and reapply rather than go in too strong.
Using hypo is 1 of those times when you should carry out a risk assessment in your head at least, and look for where and how things could go wrong, and have a hosepope with fresh water on stand by.

Benz Softwash is an excellent information resource on softwashing in general, techniques, risks, suitable surfaces, types of products etc etc and good place to start your research on the subject.
I love all of yours posts !

You are also going to need to be kitted out like you're going into chemical warfare as well and you need a full respirator mask and full PPE I looked into it years ago and decided it wasn't for me, it ain't just a case of spraying on a building and walking away there is lots of health and safety considerations to yourself your clients their home and garden also the general public.
Yes Dave I understand that side of things , I’ve been in the building trade all my life, on sites the lot , there is a lot of people out there doing it different to others , that’s we’re I’m slightly confused hence the questions , but I do get the gist of it now , cheers

ive looked at to that in the past, there's a big waiting time to get on a course, i was hoping just for a slight bit of information, just so i can complete a wall or two, be it at my expense. thanks for reply
As has been said have a look on the Benz website that will give you the basics there are a number of helpful videos

Whos Dave
david-david-screaming.gif

We've all got to start somewhere and there's no substitute for practice and experience. Just be sensible and careful.
DO some research into the subject and get an understanding of what soft washing is all about and work slowly and methodically. It's not a race - and I'm sure you'll be fine.

I love all of yours posts !
This is by far the best reply so far , very informative , and I understand it all , thankyou
We've all got to start somewhere and there's no substitute for practice and experience. Just be sensible and careful.
DO some research into the subject and get an understanding of what soft washing is all about and work slowly and methodically. It's not a race - and I'm sure you'll be fine.
perfect advice, i do have a understanding of soft washing just need to put it to work.

Latest Posts

Back