Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tidyish van.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

TolishAPurd

I decided to give the van a spring clean today. I have pretty much abandoned the handyman business this year, and been passing all my work on to another handyman that was just starting out. As such I decided it was time to make the van a bit more window cleaning orientated. I've kept just a few basic hand tools, but all the power tools have been kicked out now.

All of this and more came out of my van:

View attachment 7374

This is it empty, for @SPCleaning :

View attachment 7375

And the finished result:

View attachment 7376

Pretty packed out but a lot tidier than it was, and @Posh can vouch for that.:D

There is much more room in there than I expected @TolishAPurd

I think we are going van hunting again on Tuesday and this model we are interested in. There are a number of ex British Gas ones available for £5695 +vat on 2011 reg. So we shall take a look.

Sounds good. Mines a 2011, had it since new as was ex demo. For handyman work I never liked the doors that open both sides a s there was no room for racking and the like. But for yourself getting a van mount, it will give you options on which side you pull the hose out from.

Yes mate, handyman/home maintenance, gardening, you name it. Always had work on, and I liked the variety. I got fed up of quoting in the evenings, driving to builders merchants, and working inside peoples homes. I only started the window cleaning as a little sideline and it just took off. Windows is reletively stress free for about the same money. Im a much happier person now ive left the handy work behind.

Lol so u are a window cleaner with dusty handyman tools lol

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app
At one point I was dragging all that stuff out to get a lawnmower hedge trimmer and hand tools in. Window days I was blowing grass cuttings off my boab before starting./emoticons/biggrin.png Even with that I still have a great round, well priced, compact, and constant stream of steady work. This is why I have never liked the folk that come on and spend tonnes of money before getting custies- they are totally missing the big picture.

so you dont do anything except windows now @TolishAPurd or do you still dabble in other stuff?
It's all windows now mate (+gutters and pressure washing). But if the odd very attractive job comes up then I might come out of retirement. Some are just too easy to pass on. I have an advert in 1 place which I haven't paid for for a few years now, and they have just accidently left me in. I am still getting calls from it and just directing them on, so slowly the calls are getting less and less. Seems strange but one of my favourite jobs is RE felting she'd roofs. Good money out in the sunshine whacking nails with a hammer. I charge about £80 a shed + materials most of the time I charge for a bag of nails, glues etc when I am still using stuff left over from other jobs so I make even more. Always looks good when I'm done.

I think windows only keeps it simple, my van is full of stuff from doing a bit of everything, like you say you have to drag half the van out to get to sumert at the back, i usually lose my rag in the process and break something. Then theres the constant have i got this and that, and remembering what jobs you have lined up and trying to slot windows in and around it.

I think windows only keeps it simple, my van is full of stuff from doing a bit of everything, like you say you have to drag half the van out to get to sumert at the back, i usually lose my rag in the process and break something. Then theres the constant have i got this and that, and remembering what jobs you have lined up and trying to slot windows in and around it.
Exactly. I just got fed up of it all. I have tonnes of tool boxes full to the brim, but i have purposely left them out of the van. All i have now is the few that are hanging up, plus my leather tool belt which has a small level, screwdriver, stanley, pliers etc. A basic tool kit can get you out of bother. the racking you see has loads of tapes, glues, fillers, oils, etc which are also good to get out of a bind. But not enough in the van to commit to a big job anymore.

I started down the handyman route after talking with tolish a long while ago but found it was good doing a big job but then the next month having a big hole in the week as no jobs booked in

So went back to 100% windows

Keep it simples

There is no shortage of work, and its nice to turn your hand to anything, but with the windows you dictate your own day. No appointments, no stress.

I started down the handyman route after talking with tolish a long while ago but found it was good doing a big job but then the next month having a big hole in the week as no jobs booked inSo went back to 100% windows

Keep it simples
Yep I'm starting to find this. Rushed off my feet one week and couple of days with nothing the next week. There's also the situation when you agree to a job at 9am on one side of town then arrange another job at 1pm in the other side. Then what happens is I finish the first job early and end up having to wait if the other custys is not there. I thought in my head when that happened o could do a few windows in between but then come across the problem I couldn't as I needed to have txt them for access. In short doing multiple things isn't efficent and earns you less money in general as you're driving all over. Plus the fact that your dictated by what you've agreed to rather than deciding what or how much you do per day with windows.

The travelling is what kills it

I had a bitty day today

Odds and sods from last week when i was on holiday and bits from this week that don't fit properly anywhere on my rounds

Struggled today whereas i have 25 jobs in 1 road tomorrow and will smash it up

The travelling is what kills itI had a bitty day today

Odds and sods from last week when i was on holiday and bits from this week that don't fit properly anywhere on my rounds

Struggled today whereas i have 25 jobs in 1 road tomorrow and will smash it up
Trad or wfp tomo mate?

Gonna be trad but 50% of those houses have the dormer in the roof and the odd skylight so gonna have to get the pole out

Back