Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tricke marks and Spotting

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mickey07

Morning all

New to the game for about 2 months now got my wfp system in back of my tranny but had my first call back today as two windows had trickle marks down them got there and sorted them no problems customer all happy now but what can cause that (maybe it's me doing something wrong) also did notice a little bit of spotting here and there which done my head in,am I being picky looking for problems or does everyone get the odd bit of spotting here and there on there pure water systems, my tds readings are bang on every morning I check as well,is there a little solution I can put in tank to guarantee to stop it?but like I said am I going a bit ocd .lol

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah ok as it's my first month with my system so every clean I've done is basically the first clean they've had in ages...is that what can cause  the spotting then?

Thanks

Yeah, just old dirt you let loose when agitating the frames.

It's good common practice to do first cleans twice. First you go over the frames (and glass if very dirty) with no rinsing. Then when dried up a bit go back and do the glass only, keeping a centimetre away from the top.

Keep at it, and be sure to go inside and check the results close up after 30+ minutes when possible. That'll tell you a whole lot about your technique and where to improve.

Morning all
New to the game for about 2 months now got my wfp system in back of my tranny but had my first call back today as two windows had trickle marks down them got there and sorted them no problems customer all happy now but what can cause that (maybe it's me doing something wrong) also did notice a little bit of spotting here and there which done my head in,am I being picky looking for problems or does everyone get the odd bit of spotting here and there on there pure water systems, my tds readings are bang on every morning I check as well,is there a little solution I can put in tank to guarantee to stop it?but like I said am I going a bit ocd .lol
Thanks
It happens quiete often. I get this on my own south facing living room window, they must be about 20 years old and the rubber seals degrade over a time and this frequently happens.
You could try running a dry cloth above the seal before you rinse off.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Old seals are wfp worst nightmare

U can use scrim to wipe any drips but sometimes will run down later on.

Sometimes theres nothing you can do i have a few houses where the rubbers on the outside and ive tried everything but no matter what it still leaves trickle marks and now its getting into winter and the suns lower you will see them more. Its 100% the rubber no technique or extra risning will solve this trust me. Sometimes it's helped by getting the ladder out and giving the rubber a clean youll be amazed at how much black comes off these old perished rubbers as they are exposed to the sun for years. But im yet to find a cure for this myself.  

I have the same problem myself
I notice this especially with thee old frames where the seals have absolutely been neglected for years and I find it impossible to clean them wfp
So them ones I just do traditionally !
But above advice taken on board!
Still learning though!

Fellas have learnt alot from you guys![emoji106]

And no doubt will keep bugging you fellas!

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Its been worse this summer than it ever has been before.

The biggest problem is the top frame. Firstly we don't scrub it and rinse it as well as we should and secondly, even UPVC oxidises in the sunshine. Our lounge windows have been cleaned wfp for 13 years and we still have issues with spotting from the top frame.

I've just gone outside and rubbed/pulled my finger down the frame and I have a chalky residue from the frame on my finger.

Its this residue that the pure water leeches out and then runs down the glass. When the water droplets dry they leave behind this chalky residue in the form of white spots. As has been said, this problem will be on old south facing windows - our lounge window is a prime example of that. Mostly it gets better with a few cleans but its important to give that top frame above the glass good attention. The downside is that you can easily bring down muck from the brickwork above the frame. This is why we prefer pencil jets as they are more accurate than fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, just old dirt you let loose when agitating the frames.

It's good common practice to do first cleans twice. First you go over the frames (and glass if very dirty) with no rinsing. Then when dried up a bit go back and do the glass only, keeping a centimetre away from the top.

Keep at it, and be sure to go inside and check the results close up after 30+ minutes when possible. That'll tell you a whole lot about your technique and where to improve.
Love it Nudel. I’ve used this technique since I started. I mentioned it one time on the forum and was shunned and told I was wasting time by a few people. On some posts people claim that a first clean should take 3x as long as usual, not using that technique it doesn’t!!

Learn which windows ‘run’ after you clean them. If they are still leaving marks or potential marks after 4/5/6 cleans then I’d avoid touching the top frame on those windows. 

My own windows have been cleaned by me every month since August last year, first few times I did them really thoroughly too, yet the kitchen window and a bed room window ALWAYS streak. Rubbish rubber seals. 

Latest Posts

Back