Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Battery issue

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Gasket

Hi Guys

Stupidly during the spell of frosts we had I forgot to charge the my Tanya 110 ah battery, and something was left on in the van. When I can to charge it my 4ah charger was showing it a 9v !. The charger wouldn't kick in, presumably it was too low. I've managed to borrow a leisure battery , and left my battery on a trickle charge which eventually got ot to 11v. If I put it back on my charger its starts charging and the voltage goes up quickly eventually stopping around 13/14 volts. If I come back later, the charger isn't charging showing no battery connected symbol, and the battery is back to 11volts.
I know I've knackered the battery with permanent damage, but was hoping it would still work, bit would just hold a little less charge, and require charging more frequently.

Does it sound like it's for the bin, or any ideas on resurrection

Thanks

Hi Guys

Stupidly during the spell of frosts we had I forgot to charge the my Tanya 110 ah battery, and something was left on in the van. When I can to charge it my 4ah charger was showing it a 9v !. The charger wouldn't kick in, presumably it was too low. I've managed to borrow a leisure battery , and left my battery on a trickle charge which eventually got ot to 11v. If I put it back on my charger its starts charging and the voltage goes up quickly eventually stopping around 13/14 volts. If I come back later, the charger isn't charging showing no battery connected symbol, and the battery is back to 11volts.
I know I've knackered the battery with permanent damage, but was hoping it would still work, bit would just hold a little less charge, and require charging more frequently.

Does it sound like it's for the bin, or any ideas on resurrection

Thanks
If you have a set of jumper cables, i would connect your leisure battery to your van's starter battery and run the van's engine. Let it run for a while, possibly 30 minutes and see if the battery will accept a charge.

There is a slight possibility a decent battery with recovery mode might bring back some capacity but as it sounds like it might be needed for work then think of the loss if you can't work due to running out of power! I would just bite the bullet and replace it.

As for binning it don't! Take it to your local scrap metal site and they will pay you for your old battery - probably only about £4 but if you can pass by it's worth a few mins and makes disposal easier than taking it to the tip.

As for binning it don't! Take it to your local scrap metal site and they will pay you for your old battery - probably only about £4 but if you can pass by it's worth a few mins and makes disposal easier than taking it to the tip.
Disposal at a household recycling place will ensure it's recycled, it would cost me more in diesel to go to a scrapyard all my scrap goes to a lad I know who is licensed, but I don't get any money :cry:

Disposal at a household recycling place will ensure it's recycled, it would cost me more in diesel to go to a scrapyard all my scrap goes to a lad I know who is licensed, but I don't get any money :cry:
I'm lucky their is a scrap recycler about 300m away from me but the household recycle site is about 5 miles away. I only mentioned the money as sometimes people don't realise their scrap batteries are worth ££.

I'm lucky their is a scrap recycler about 300m away from me but the household recycle site is about 5 miles away. I only mentioned the money as sometimes people don't realise their scrap batteries are worth ££.
Do you live on an industrial estate ?

How long do all your leisure batteries last? Ive had this one about 5 1/2 years now.
On my 3rd in 7 years but not sure how old first one was when I got it with the system and middle one I never charged apart from split charge.

Latest one is 3 years old and charged every couple of nights or so. For circa £120 yours has served you well and doesn't owe you anything ?

On my 3rd in 7 years but not sure how old first one was when I got it with the system and middle one I never charged apart from split charge.

Latest one is 3 years old and charged every couple of nights or so. For circa £120 yours has served you well and doesn't owe you anything ?
Like Alex Gardiner says, things like poles, brushes, batteries, resin etc are all consumables albeit long cycle consumables maybe 2-5 years or more (decadal!) like Spruce's RO membrane! So when you think how much each of those parts cost compared to how much they earn you it softens the blow of £100 here or there. It's when 3 or 4 happen at once it hurts ?

CV joint on van is making a noise so will need attention, just paid van insurance start of month, MachineMart fixed a booster pump for £104 after buying a stop gap booster for £168 and also need a bag of resin in next couple of weeks so I know how it is this month but in scheme of things it's costs that will pay for themselves over the following months.

If it’s that old I would say you have done well and had more than your moneys worth out of it
Yes my last one was second hand what my dad used to use for a motorhome, this one isnt particularly a top notch one, yuasa if I remember without going out to look, but Ive made sure to always bring it in and bench charge after most usage. I dont use a split charge relay, nothing against them, would save bringing it in I guess but just never got round to it.

Yes my last one was second hand what my dad used to use for a motorhome, this one isnt particularly a top notch one, yuasa if I remember without going out to look, but Ive made sure to always bring it in and bench charge after most usage. I dont use a split charge relay, nothing against them, would save bringing it in I guess but just never got round to it.
Its still working fine as ever.

How long do all your leisure batteries last? Ive had this one about 5 1/2 years now.
Current battery 8 months and it's been flashing bat at the end of every work day for a while on Monday it was flashing stp on the controller I'll be ordering another one this week but going for a more expensive AGM battery if it will fit where I need it to.

Current battery 8 months and it's been flashing bat at the end of every work day for a while on Monday it was flashing stp on the controller I'll be ordering another one this week but going for a more expensive AGM battery if it will fit where I need it to.
Little tip, the heavier the battery the better as lead is heavy and relatively expensive but thicker plates help batteries to last longer.

Latest Posts

Back