Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Charging leisure battery

WCF

Help Support WCF:

theo

How often do I need to charge my leisure battery? I run one pump and have a ctek smart charger which I usually connect at night.
I don’t have a split relay in the van.
Just wondering whether I need to charge it back up every night.
Working hours are around 6/7 per day.
Thanks

Every night ASAP after work as they don't like been left discharged.

I think my battery is an 80 or 90ah battery and if I didn't charge it I wouldn't be working the next day

I have a 115ah leisure battery, and I charge it once a week. I work about 25hrs a week tho, single user, 350ltr tank. On my battery charger there is a display that shows the level of charge, and I'm usually down to 1 of 5 bars. I've read that leisure batteries don't do well if they are run till empty, I haven't had any problems with running it as low as I do. The battery is 9 months old now.

I have a 115ah leisure battery, and I charge it once a week. I work about 25hrs a week tho, single user, 350ltr tank. On my battery charger there is a display that shows the level of charge, and I'm usually down to 1 of 5 bars. I've read that leisure batteries don't do well if they are run till empty, I haven't had any problems with running it as low as I do. The battery is 9 months old now.
Leisure batteries should never be discharged below 50% of their capacity. This equates to about 12.2v, this is a rested voltage that is taken about 4 hours after the battery has been used. Lead Acid batteries should also be recharged as soon after use as possible to prolong their life.

So with a 115Ah battery you have 57Ah useable. A 'standard' pump pulls about 4 amps running, so that over a 25hr working week (12hrs pump running at a guess) equates to about 48Ah so below your 57Ah useable.
While your battery should be OK being charged once a week, if you could charge each night your battery should last longer before it dies.

Leisure batteries should never be discharged below 50% of their capacity. This equates to about 12.2v, this is a rested voltage that is taken about 4 hours after the battery has been used. Lead Acid batteries should also be recharged as soon after use as possible to prolong their life.

So with a 115Ah battery you have 57Ah useable. A 'standard' pump pulls about 4 amps running, so that over a 25hr working week (12hrs pump running at a guess) equates to about 48Ah so below your 57Ah useable.
While your battery should be OK being charged once a week, if you could charge each night your battery should last longer before it dies.
You`re not related to Carol Vorderman by any chance are you Ched? :unsure:

Your asking for trouble...I bet your battery will be knackered within 18 months!

My Halfords leisure battery has done ages with me charging each night.
I think the ctek charger, which is mounted in my van monitors the state of the battery and charges as needed.
Not a problem for me as I run the extension lead out for the immersion as well.

I run two 110 leisure batteries in my 350l tank van. I charge one after two days of work, equivalent to 16 hrs. The other is a back up and I swap it in for the next two days.

So far they are 4 years old. Still going strong. Although I've noticed the charge is now very low after two days whereas I could have run them all week when I started.

I've been told all sorts about leisure batteries and how I mustn't misuse them and they won't last a year etc. All nonsense in my experience. They've served me well.

Thanks for the advice @ched999uk.

I'm not that clued up on the electrical side of things tbh. I'd like to fit a split charge relay at some point, to save having to charge, but for now I'll certainly be charging more often!

Thanks for the advice @ched999uk.

I'm not that clued up on the electrical side of things tbh. I'd like to fit a split charge relay at some point, to save having to charge, but for now I'll certainly be charging more often!
You would still need to charge.

I charge my 110 ah battery every other night that's with a split charger. If i get a year out of the battery I'm happy. But that battery is never left resting below 12.4 volts at anytime

Hello i keep buying a new 90 ah leisure battery every 6 months, I only use it once a week for window cleaning, I charge it after use as well, any help please

Hello i keep buying a new 90 ah leisure battery every 6 months, I only use it once a week for window cleaning, I charge it after use as well, any help please

And as per @marlowswindows what battery are you using?

What charger are you using?

If you are using a charger for charging car batteries, then you need to charge that for a smart leisure battery charger.

How often do I need to charge my leisure battery? I run one pump and have a ctek smart charger which I usually connect at night.
I don’t have a split relay in the van.
Just wondering whether I need to charge it back up every night.
Working hours are around 6/7 per day.
Thanks
I would recommend investing in a PV solar system.
When I first moved into wfp the issue I had was lack of mileage from home to jobs.
Start stop journeys kills any van starter battery and also has a knock on effect if using a spilt charger system.

I was monitoring my leisure battery constantly and not allowing it to deplte or drop below 11v
I charged my battery every night with the hook up I installed. Yes it's a right faff unplugging it every morning.

I had installed many solar pv systems into friends DIY offgrid camper vans and thought why don't I do the same.

I have a 100w solar panel on my roof bars fixed with an aluminium frame I welded for stability
A victron MPPT charge controller, inline fuse and that charges my leisure battery system and also charges my vans starter battery through the Durite split charge system ( split charge relays are two way)

Understanding battery usage and thresholds is key. If my memory serves me well then @spruce published a post a few years ago on voltage Vs percentages and battery charge status which is a good tool to know how good your battery is

I would recommend investing in a PV solar system.
When I first moved into wfp the issue I had was lack of mileage from home to jobs.
Start stop journeys kills any van starter battery and also has a knock on effect if using a spilt charger system.

I was monitoring my leisure battery constantly and not allowing it to deplte or drop below 11v
I charged my battery every night with the hook up I installed. Yes it's a right faff unplugging it every morning.

I had installed many solar pv systems into friends DIY offgrid camper vans and thought why don't I do the same.

I have a 100w solar panel on my roof bars fixed with an aluminium frame I welded for stability
A victron MPPT charge controller, inline fuse and that charges my leisure battery system and also charges my vans starter battery through the Durite split charge system ( split charge relays are two way)

Understanding battery usage and thresholds is key. If my memory serves me well then @spruce published a post a few years ago on voltage Vs percentages and battery charge status which is a good tool to know how good your battery is
It's great to see you back @Apw1210 We missed you.

Latest Posts

Back