Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ubik 2000 on Solar panels

WCF

Help Support WCF:

mike007

Had a home owner of a bungalow near to one of my customers ask if I did solar panel cleaning. Told her I would try cleaning them, but would not use chemicals as it would invalidate any guarantees which she also seemed aware of. Tried cleaning them with just wfp and water from ground and also ladder to try and get more purchase onto the moss etc, but a lot of the crud remained, so I informed her that it was not working and did not charge her. Question is that I know if I had used my Ubik I would of got the job done. Do any of you use chemicals on solar panels?

Personally speaking I don’t think most chemicals will hurt a solar panel it’s glass and aluminium, but unless what you use is approved by the manufacturer then it will invalidate any warranty, but if out of warranty I wouldn’t worry about it obviously make sure you rinse with copious amounts of water , generally we find very hot water will remove most things apart from liken , then we scrape that off with a scraper then WFP

Only problem is most solar panels are guaranteed for 25 years! So not many will be out of guaranty!
I am guessing the problem isn't the glass it's the seal between the glass and the frame. I believe if water penetrates and gets to the actual silicon it causes shorts and causes corrosion (even with pure).

Only problem is most solar panels are guaranteed for 25 years! So not many will be out of guaranty!
I am guessing the problem isn't the glass it's the seal between the glass and the frame. I believe if water penetrates and gets to the actual silicon it causes shorts and causes corrosion (even with pure).
Not sure on the length of the warranty didn't think it was 25 years thought that was the expected life span of the panel ? The seal between the glass and frame on most of the panels I have seen is a two pack resin so like a very hard glue ,weather that will crack in time I don’t know , the main electrical connections are usually in the middle of the under side of the panel , when we were cleaning large field arrays years ago one of the installer guys told us they are practically indestructible unless something is drop on them breaking the glass , so dont think a soap like chemical should hurt them , I Evan know of a very large company that clean them using hypo and a pressure washer , ime not saying that’s right but they have cleaned hundreds of thousands of panels like that without any issues .

Not sure on the length of the warranty didn't think it was 25 years thought that was the expected life span of the panel ? The seal between the glass and frame on most of the panels I have seen is a two pack resin so like a very hard glue ,weather that will crack in time I don’t know , the main electrical connections are usually in the middle of the under side of the panel , when we were cleaning large field arrays years ago one of the installer guys told us they are practically indestructible unless something is drop on them breaking the glass , so dont think a soap like chemical should hurt them , I Evan know of a very large company that clean them using hypo and a pressure washer , ime not saying that’s right but they have cleaned hundreds of thousands of panels like that without any issues .
Hi @Pjj - Interesting useful feed back champ??.

Just coming back to this. Has anyone on here got any first hand experience with ubik on solar panels? I was about to start a thread but found this short discussion first.
I have 15 to clean tomorrow,

I was hoping for wetter weather for a change to soften the lichen but no chance ?

Last time I cleaned solar panels it had been raining which no doubt made the job easier.

It’s been dry for weeks !

Just ordered some to be fitted and reading the manufacturers data sheets it keeps banging on about just using water to clean them!

This is the wording of the Sharp panels:
If dirt build-up becomes excessive, use only a soft, damp cloth and water to clean the glass. The PV modules is equipped with anti-reflective coating glass, do not touch the glass since finger prints or stains will easily mark. If dirt build-up becomes excessive, clean the glass surface with water only.

The 15 year guarantee states that it's invalid if cleaned any other way!!! How they expect you to get lichens off I don't know?

Just coming back to this. Has anyone on here got any first hand experience with ubik on solar panels? I was about to start a thread but found this short discussion first.
I have 15 to clean tomorrow,

I was hoping for wetter weather for a change to soften the lichen but no chance ?
Don’t think ubik will be much good at removing liken from panels hypo or a biocide will kill it then a light scrape with scraper and clean with pure . Or pressure wash them .

I was fitting bird proofing mesh and cleaned them with my pressure washer on quarter pressure and they came up lovely. Its better to tell folk to clean them every year in Spring time so they get the best return which is the start of the big generating period which I do to mine.

I know that ubik will melt most glues not sure about resin seals on solar panels, i would just use hot water tbh it's not worth the risk of them breaking, but i could be wrong, you could try fairy dish soap on the brush, might work best, seems to with glass in a pinch...

It must be light levels as you can’t see too much lichen in the before pic but believe me there was a fair bit there. I went with nothing but pure water and found lichen definitely comes away using just pure but it needs plenty or should I say PLENTY of scrubbing. Not an easy job to be fair but it came good in the end.
Done the panels, cleaned the outside of his gutters around the front and cleaned two windows at the same time. Going back in 6 months to clean the panels again and every 4 weeks to clean those two windows, which is handy cos it fits in nicely with other monthly work I have just around the corner..

im glad I gave the ubik a miss

Attachments

• 71646DC4-BD2E-4F35-9A25-F7DFB9C71C14.jpeg
    71646DC4-BD2E-4F35-9A25-F7DFB9C71C14.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 9
  • FBD60A22-DAAF-40EF-B966-D91685507267.jpeg
    FBD60A22-DAAF-40EF-B966-D91685507267.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 9
It must be light levels as you can’t see too much lichen in the before pic but believe me there was a fair bit there. I went with nothing but pure water and found lichen definitely comes away using just pure but it needs plenty or should I say PLENTY of scrubbing. Not an easy job to be fair but it came good in the end.
Done the panels, cleaned the outside of his gutters around the front and cleaned two windows at the same time. Going back in 6 months to clean the panels again and every 4 weeks to clean those two windows, which is handy cos it fits in nicely with other monthly work I have just around the corner..

Nice job done there good to see you have also cleaned the framework looks so much better doing it like this ?

Nice job done there good to see you have also cleaned the framework looks so much better doing it like this ?
It definitely does when you look up the lichen on the frame work is almost the first thing you look at, when it’s cleaned the whole array sits easier on the eye.
I quite like doing solar panel jobs like this, all extras that pays better money than just cleaning windows.
Got a couple of jobs booked in for Monday next week.. Then the canvassing will continue…

That's when hotwater system comes in handy. Give them a good soak with hotwater and wait 10mins then scrub away and then do the same.

It definitely does when you look up the lichen on the frame work is almost the first thing you look at, when it’s cleaned the whole array sits easier on the eye.
I quite like doing solar panel jobs like this, all extras that pays better money than just cleaning windows.
Got a couple of jobs booked in for Monday next week.. Then the canvassing will continue…
How is the canvassing going?

How is the canvassing going?
To be honest ched, very well. I know it can happen and I’m sure it will soon but I haven’t been canvassing yet and not picked up work, I usually pick up between 2 and 6 regular jobs on every outing. All within a mile of my home address so very close. My game plan is to knock on every single door in my town first before moving onto other towns that are very close. It’s definitely working to build my round. I have also found that I speak to people on the door who at the time don’t agree to a window clean but they end up calling me for a quote too. I love it to be honest.
I haven’t done any leaflet drops just knocking doors and that’s it. It seems to yield results.
Have you been canvassing mate?

Latest Posts

Back