Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Undercut (not the issue) but how's the other guy doing it?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I charge quite a bit higher than the local rate.  I do get lots of knock backs on the smaller semi's.  The good thing though is that if somebody pinches one of my customers, well they would only pinch 1 and not 5 or 6 in one go as it would be hard for them to find my customers as they're all dotted about.  I think it's one of the main benefits of charging higher.

Customer loyalty is key and a quality service, you need to charge higher to cover your travel time  extra fuel and vehicle wear and tear, which I think will become more the norm across certain areas of the UK due to not being able to gain compact work for newbies coming into the industry. 

Lucky you. I'm not anywhere near Newcastle tho. I'm in a small pit village where I simply wouldn't get any work at those prices.
I know a lad who travels to their nearest town/city for work every day ,

i don't think am charging a lot,  3bed semi 10yr ago would been £4/6 lot lads put prices up every year , so they would be at the figure I’m charging now 

It's all well and good putting in for a higher price but those prices imho won't see you build solid compact rounds in the North East, yes there is no doubt you can build a successful business on higher priced scattered jobs but you will spend quite a bit of time driving around everyday I guess it depends what sort of rounds you want and I've no doubt there will be more than a good few lads £3-4 cheaper than you hence you have lost a lot of enquires. 
I would say my working week is split between good work compact and other days could be 5mins travel in-between couple jobs,  I’m constantly targeting the travel work make it more compact, 

Tango, you may as well get a £10 an hour with holiday pay. It’s insane to work for £17 an hour self employed. You’ll be lucky to be clearing £10 an hour at that rate. No holiday pay, no sick pay and no pension. 

Tango, you may as well get a £10 an hour with holiday pay. It’s insane to work for £17 an hour self employed. You’ll be lucky to be clearing £10 an hour at that rate. No holiday pay, no sick pay and no pension. 
Tango hasn’t been at this game long, he’s doing the right thing , he’s building a business gotta start somewhere , would you rather make £17 an hour or £0 an hour ? I know what I would be doing

I went to price an 8 weekly big bungalow job today. She told me there is 40 windows when we were doing the walk round. I finally said £60 or £30 for a monthly clean. She told me the last guy charged £12 but he has disappeared. I burst out laughing and told here those days are well gone. I told her its licensed now and that's why we must be reliable, trustworthy and provide a professional service. She is going to discuss it with her neighbor who also wants her windows cleaned. I think they have been living in the past with 30p a window.

Tango hasn’t been at this game long, he’s doing the right thing , he’s building a business gotta start somewhere , would you rather make £17 an hour or £0 an hour ? I know what I would be doing
That’s bad advice. Price properly from the start or you will always be too cheap. Also, I’d rather charge £150 and only get one than do three for £50 each.

Stop worrying about being undercut and concentrate on new potential customers instead, the customers that you lose via being undercut are the customers u do not want!

U will always get people cheaper then u where ever u go... but what comes in to play is the loyalty of your own customers, once you have loyal customers and u do a good job and offer a good service and keep the customer always happy that is when u do not need to worry about being undercut ?

I do a 3 bed semi for £8.00 but other window cleaners have knocked on the door and quoted £4/5, the customer chooses to stay with me because they are happy with the service.

So if u do a good job then u do not need to worry about being "undercut" , anyone who does a poor job will always be worried about undercutters ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Exactly. I'd rather have **SOMETHING** of an income than nothing at all.

She is going to discuss it with her neighbor who also wants her windows cleaned.

I've heard that one many times - as soon as I hear "oh my neighbour is interested - IF you do a good job" I don't take the custy too seriously at all. They're either after a discount or a premium clean for the low price they're getting. I take no notice of it now - none at all. The last one to say that to me text'd me a few days later asking if i wanted her to speak to the neighbours that she'd previously spoken about. I said "sure i can fit them in if they're interested" - about 4 days later i got a text from her son on the other side of town but nothing from the so called neighbours who were desperate for a windy. The son didn't want a regular windy either so it was clearly a "son help me out here or i'm going to look really stupid" tactic.

That’s bad advice. Price properly from the start or you will always be too cheap. Also, I’d rather charge £150 and only get one than do three for £50 each.

It may be bad advice to you but I do not have any local advertising campaign other than flyers and canvassing. Sure when you're ESTABLISHED I'd agree with you that it's bad advice however I'm a newbie, my work is not compact, it's dotted all over and while I am slowly gaining custys, I do this part time fitting around my partner and son (and weekend job) and thus I can't expect expensive miracle work overnight. Once I'm established and can afford to quote higher prices with minimal risk I will.

Like he has says him self he would rather have the work then not have any, 

Yup, that's what I've said frequently - I'd rather have something than nothing. Also I'm gaining a reputation this way too - I work hard, (and get tips) and people notice this - and will remember that. I don't splash n dash so people do like my work. I've had several people with trad windys ask me about doing their windows that the trad guy can't clean above connys etc - did one last week (along with the conny roof and gutters) so my tactic is working and paying off when I'm starting to share custys with another windy. I took £55 for that - 2.5 hours, that's £22 an hour - from another windys customer - and the best bit is that other windy keeps his customer / income too.

However he’s better spending 3 hours canvassing  than working for a pittance. In my opinion. 

Yet I can spend 4-5 hours canvassing and get a pittance in work quite frequently. Sometimes i'll canvass for just 2 hours and get 2-3 jobs that pay well. It's weird round this way. Some think nothing of handing over a £20 note to a stranger who just turned up on the doorstep while others will sniff at anything more than £8.

However he’s better spending 3 hours canvassing  than working for a pittance. In my opinion. 
Everyone is different and has different financial circumstances. In my area I'm 99.9% certain that a newbie would get no work pricing up at higher levels. My son has started a new FB page, against my advice, and his only potential customer didn't reply to a quote of £8 for a monthly clean for a 2 bed semi. Our usual minimum price is £10. You don't build a new business on high priced work, you build it on bread and butter then add the cream. Before the usual suspects chirp in saying "we change xyz" for 1 window properties my reply is good luck to you. 

Because one person from Facebook didn’t reply to your son you’re 99% certain? 

Tango can follow whatever advice he likes but in my experience people that price low at the start always stay low and convince themselves that’s all they can get.

£15 is nothing these days unless they are unemployed or on a very low income. To pay it 6 times a year for clean windows won’t trouble them. 

Tango can follow whatever advice he likes but in my experience people that price low at the start always stay low and convince themselves that’s all they can get.

£15 is nothing these days unless they are unemployed or on a very low income. To pay it 6 times a year for clean windows won’t trouble them. 
Precisely Shammy.

We live in a different part of the UK, where I live you will struggle to get £15 for anything less than a 4 bed detached house. 

He is learning about pricing, we've had many newbies on here that have asked for pricing advice and you never see them again. At least he's earning money and learning how to do the job. 

We live in a different part of the UK, where I live you will struggle to get £15 for anything less than a 4 bed detached house. 

He is learning about pricing, we've had many newbies on here that have asked for pricing advice and you never see them again. At least he's earning money and learning how to do the job. 
This forum is invaluable for knowledge and help I have pick up so much info from here, everyone as to start somewhere regardless and it's easy to quote too low or too high when starting out I know I have still do on the odd occasion the beauty is the more regulars clients you have the higher you can quote new clients without the worry of losing your regulars. 

It may be bad advice to you but I do not have any local advertising campaign other than flyers and canvassing. Sure when you're ESTABLISHED I'd agree with you that it's bad advice however I'm a newbie, my work is not compact, it's dotted all over and while I am slowly gaining custys, I do this part time fitting around my partner and son (and weekend job) and thus I can't expect expensive miracle work overnight. Once I'm established and can afford to quote higher prices with minimal risk I will.

That's the wrong way of thinking.  Your risk is minimal now because you still have your job.  You're not actually risking anything at the moment, you have got nothing to lose other than your time.

I'm in the same boat (still working an evening job) but I price a lot higher than the average in my area.  My customers have basically got fed up of being let down and just want a reliable window cleaner.  I think if you price higher it sets you apart from the 'just another window cleaner', also the higher you price means the less stress you have about rushing, you can take your time, you can travel to the other side of town, it's not a problem.

Also image is not a problem, I drive a 15 year old van that is rusting on the sills and hasn't had a wash for about 5 months (I know it's bad, no excuses), I also have holes in my shoes and wear creased t-shirts when going to quote but I still get the work.  So don't think you need to be all flash with fancy equipment to get a better price, if anything it might go against you as the client might think you're raking it in.  

I do make sure I'm clean shaven though, I like a bit of stubble but don't want to look like a cowboy  : )

Btw I don't purposely wear shoes with holes in, I just haven't got round to getting a new pair, I'll probably splash out on a pair later, £9 sports direct specials   :1f602:

Who goes to the bother of changing their window cleaner to save £1-2 PER MONTH???

You don’t need these type of people as a customer. Or they’re not happy with your service in the first place 

Who goes to the bother of changing their window cleaner to save £1-2 PER MONTH???

You don’t need these type of people as a customer. Or they’re not happy with your service in the first place 

Wrong really, I do have some custys that i charge more money on but when i'm not with them, i'd rather have a few peanuts than the empty packet. Money is money, I'll take whatever i can get.

Today i did fascias, gutters and windows on a small terraced house. Probably took me 3 hours and i got £30 for it. Not a great rate but i had nothing else on and so £30 is £30 more than i might not of had if i'd gone canvassing.

Bang on! I live in a mixed area which doesn't help. Some people are wealthy and others are not. I have one custy who's house was minging yet he's a business manager who travels around every week keeping things running. Others are struggling to get through the week. In affluent areas you can charge more, in poor ones you charge less. In mine it's a total mash up lol. Even those with nice big houses can nearly cry at paying £20 for 18 windows, 2 french doors, a side door and a front door (and that's peanuts for that lot isn't it). Like you said PT, I am at least earning - maybe not as well as others but I AM earning - And I am thankful to everyone here who has supported me.

This forum is invaluable for knowledge and help I have pick up so much info from here, everyone as to start somewhere regardless and it's easy to quote too low or too high when starting out I know I have still do on the odd occasion the beauty is the more regulars clients you have the higher you can quote new clients without the worry of losing your regulars. 

That latter part is my way of thinking too. Oh and thanks to you mate, i realised i need a retractable air hose for my trolley as coiling it up by hand takes an age. Finding one at a good price is a challenge but I keep watching ebay daily (top idea that - you're a legend for sharing it).

That's the wrong way of thinking.  Your risk is minimal now because you still have your job.  You're not actually risking anything at the moment, you have got nothing to lose other than your time.

I'm in the same boat (still working an evening job) but I price a lot higher than the average in my area.  My customers have basically got fed up of being let down and just want a reliable window cleaner.  I think if you price higher it sets you apart from the 'just another window cleaner', also the higher you price means the less stress you have about rushing, you can take your time, you can travel to the other side of town, it's not a problem.

Also image is not a problem, I drive a 15 year old van that is rusting on the sills and hasn't had a wash for about 5 months (I know it's bad, no excuses), I also have holes in my shoes and wear creased t-shirts when going to quote but I still get the work.  So don't think you need to be all flash with fancy equipment to get a better price, if anything it might go against you as the client might think you're raking it in.  

I do make sure I'm clean shaven though, I like a bit of stubble but don't want to look like a cowboy  : )

Btw I don't purposely wear shoes with holes in, I just haven't got round to getting a new pair, I'll probably splash out on a pair later, £9 sports direct specials   :1f602:

Good advice although in my area there's tons of windys - literally every other road has one LIVING in it. I went to a client today and literally said "you've got one round the corner in this road in that left hand branch and another in the road behind the back garden". I'm not trying a price war or a rat race to the bottom however there is a lot of competition and other windys may well go cheaper than me. Charging higher while knocking on doors isn't a great method in my view as not many will keep £30 or £40 spare in the house. The max i'll quote on the doorstep is £20 but it's often £15 or just £10 and as long as i get that money on that day I don't care. As my customer base builds I can get choosy, until then I'll take whatever money comes my way.

Wrong really, I do have some custys that i charge more money on but when i'm not with them, i'd rather have a few peanuts than the empty packet. Money is money, I'll take whatever i can get.

Today i did fascias, gutters and windows on a small terraced house. Probably took me 3 hours and i got £30 for it. Not a great rate but i had nothing else on and so £30 is £30 more than i might not of had if i'd gone canvassing.

Bang on! I live in a mixed area which doesn't help. Some people are wealthy and others are not. I have one custy who's house was minging yet he's a business manager who travels around every week keeping things running. Others are struggling to get through the week. In affluent areas you can charge more, in poor ones you charge less. In mine it's a total mash up lol. Even those with nice big houses can nearly cry at paying £20 for 18 windows, 2 french doors, a side door and a front door (and that's peanuts for that lot isn't it). Like you said PT, I am at least earning - maybe not as well as others but I AM earning - And I am thankful to everyone here who has supported me.

That latter part is my way of thinking too. Oh and thanks to you mate, i realised i need a retractable air hose for my trolley as coiling it up by hand takes an age. Finding one at a good price is a challenge but I keep watching ebay daily (top idea that - you're a legend for sharing it).

Good advice although in my area there's tons of windys - literally every other road has one LIVING in it. I went to a client today and literally said "you've got one round the corner in this road in that left hand branch and another in the road behind the back garden". I'm not trying a price war or a rat race to the bottom however there is a lot of competition and other windys may well go cheaper than me. Charging higher while knocking on doors isn't a great method in my view as not many will keep £30 or £40 spare in the house. The max i'll quote on the doorstep is £20 but it's often £15 or just £10 and as long as i get that money on that day I don't care. As my customer base builds I can get choosy, until then I'll take whatever money comes my way.

Everywhere is swamped with window cleaners these days. I’ve been going 10 years and never seen anything like it. But if you drop a leaflet or knock a door, they don’t get other quotes. They aren’t comparing you against competitors so just quote what you think it’s worth. No one else will be quoting.

When I started took the view that three hours spent leafleting was better than a poorly paid one off. If instead of doing that job you delivered flyers, one customer at £10 a clean would be worth £120 against the £30 earned. If you need the £30 to feed the family I accept that’s different but didn’t I read you have a job?

Latest Posts

Back