Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Upto 50 customers

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Well done dont envy you doing the 3 storey windows with a ladder on that gravel though ,go careful, we would be around £100-120 doing that wfp not including the conservatory roof , that’s a nice job to have on your portfolio .
Paul I think you and the other lads may have missed something here @HWCS said skylight window do you mean the whole of the lantern roof? as that's going to be some graft.

Personally I will always give someone a second chance. Explain you wouldn't usually accept a complaint so long after the wash and that IF there's a problem in the future she needs to get back to you within 24 hours. Do the discount and move on, better to earn 80% than nothing. The early days are always massive highs and lows, and this will continue till you're established. 

Some of the more established will probably say dump, but they can afford to, whereas you need the work. If she tries it on again then get rid. 
The highs and lows continue after 19 years, I did a new job early last Friday morning then Sunday after 6pm they message me saying they want to cancel,  I had to ask twice exactly what the issue was and apparently the back windows were still dirty and there were water marks left on nearly all of the windows were they hadn't been dried properly and her dad is going to clean them from now on.

The highs and lows continue after 19 years, I did a new job early last Friday morning then Sunday after 6pm they message me saying they want to cancel,  I had to ask twice exactly what the issue was and apparently the back windows were still dirty and there were water marks left on nearly all of the windows were they hadn't been dried properly and her dad is going to clean them from now on.
Yeh I had a new job last week, 3rd floor was spotted, only noticed when doing the inside. Got some of it from inside but explained to them it can be like that a bit, first time if not done for ages. I knew the bloke and he was fine. always horrible when you see that spotting though.

Yeh I had a new job last week, 3rd floor was spotted, only noticed when doing the inside. Got some of it from inside but explained to them it can be like that a bit, first time if not done for ages. I knew the bloke and he was fine. always horrible when you see that spotting though.

Personally mate, after over 11 years of being wfp there is no way I left the windows in the state they claimed it wouldn't happen they were basically implying that I hadn't cleaned the back windows at all, it was a new build and the house is literally only weeks old they have only been in the house a few weeks. 

I said I would need to take a look at the windows in order to see exactly what the issue was with windows and a free re-clean was offered despite the delay in the complaint been made which was over 60 hours after despite some one been home when I cleaned them and they didn't want me to call back at all.

You'll get a phone call in a few months asking if that free re-clean is still on the table.. Some people really know how to take the pee these days and unfortunately there's no sign of countrys moral values getting any better any time soon.

I had a P taker yesterday, quoted him £20 for his windows inc 2 velux's covered in yellow **** (linchen?). Anyway those took an age.. rung him up and said i'd got rid of 80-90% and the rest would come off on my next visit which he'd said he wanted every 6 weeks. Then suddenly it's changed to 6-8 weeks. Erm... no! I've got him on the calendar for every 6 and that's how i quoted. He wants me or he doesn't.. but he won't find a cheaper / more reliable* windy than me..

*excludes yellow growth removal.. but does include regular scheduling, texting, cleaning until the job is done.. even when you book the flaming gardener to turn up while i'm there and leave strimmer grass all over my nicely cleaned windows and doors which i then re-cleaned again with no extra s*dding charge...

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally mate, after over 11 years of being wfp there is no way I left the windows in the state they claimed it wouldn't happen they were basically implying that I hadn't cleaned the back windows at all, it was a new build and the house is literally only weeks old they have only been in the house a few weeks. 

I said I would need to take a look at the windows in order to see exactly what the issue was with windows and a free re-clean was offered despite the delay in the complaint been made which was over 60 hours after despite some one been home when I cleaned them and they didn't want me to call back at all.
yeh sound precisely the kind of customer you dont need. Luckily most of them are decent.

You'll get a phone call in a few months asking if that free re-clean is still on the table.. Some people really know how to take the pee these days and unfortunately there's no sign of countrys moral values getting any better any time soon.

I had a P taker yesterday, quoted him £20 for his windows inc 2 velux's covered in yellow **** (linchen?). Anyway those took an age.. rung him up and said i'd got rid of 80-90% and the rest would come off on my next visit which he'd said he wanted every 6 weeks. Then suddenly it's changed to 6-8 weeks. Erm... no! I've got him on the calendar for every 6 and that's how i quoted. He wants me or he doesn't.. but he won't find a cheaper / more reliable* windy than me..

*excludes yellow growth removal.. but does include regular scheduling, texting, cleaning until the job is done.. even when you book the flaming gardener to turn up while i'm there and leave strimmer grass all over my nicely cleaned windows and doors which i then re-cleaned again with no extra s*dding charge...
They will get one answer, anyway moving on my rounds are now full so I am not taking on any more work or at least shouldn't be.

Why is it that every time I do a Saturday I end up with new customers? Yesterday I got 4 new customers around a small area. One that I never got because his wife met someone on the bus and she got her windy to do it. He is charging £6 but I told the guy I would be a tenner but I can clear gutters and replace slates on his ground level house. He is thinking about moving to me now because I do all the rest in the old building. Going to clear his gutters tomorrow and replace a few slates with CT1. What I am now noticing on pricing is this;- a tenner or below and they don't seem to bother as long as you are reliable and trustworthy. Yesterday I noticed a gas leak from the other residents meter and he knew there was a smell of gas but did nothing. We got out the gas board to fix it. It seems people live in their own we world and don't like hassle. :1f644:

Not sure what he meant by skylight roof ? 

The way I would have priced it would not include any of this glass roof but would have included the windows below the gutter line on the conservatory or what ever you call it , we would however do the windows on the house walls above the conservatory in the price . The conservatory roof/atria would be around £150-200 or so on it’s own
spacer.png
depending how bad it was , hope this makes sense 

B38A078B-2EC1-491A-9956-65D800B78F4A.png

The way I would have priced it would not include any of this glass roof but would have included the windows below the gutter line on the conservatory or what ever you call it , we would however do the windows on the house walls above the conservatory in the price . The conservatory roof/atria would be around £150-200 or so on it’s own
spacer.png
depending how bad it was , hope this makes sense 

View attachment 17016
Thanks Paul, I think some people get muddled with certain things, I asked a customer the other week if she could close the velux windows so I could clean them, she looked at me puzzled and ask what velux windows were, when I said skylights she knew what I meant. 

Why is it that every time I do a Saturday I end up with new customers? Yesterday I got 4 new customers around a small area. One that I never got because his wife met someone on the bus and she got her windy to do it. He is charging £6 but I told the guy I would be a tenner but I can clear gutters and replace slates on his ground level house. He is thinking about moving to me now because I do all the rest in the old building. Going to clear his gutters tomorrow and replace a few slates with CT1. What I am now noticing on pricing is this;- a tenner or below and they don't seem to bother as long as you are reliable and trustworthy. Yesterday I noticed a gas leak from the other residents meter and he knew there was a smell of gas but did nothing. We got out the gas board to fix it. It seems people live in their own we world and don't like hassle. :1f644:
Stop doing Saturdays then and get a life ??

I did one saturday too and picked up the next door neighbour. I was chuffed to bits - annoying thing is i can't do saturdays reliably due to my weekend job but I did find myself thinking i need to try and squeeze jobs in there somehow

If you only got these customers because youre traditional , then youre screwed the day , and yes ! The day you wanna switch to Wfp. 

Eventually you get tired of running up and down, knowing you could do more houses on a day wfp. 

Saw a gap in the market where i live for a traditional window cleaner, only really water fed broom cleaners local with exception of 1 bloke who seems to only do shops.

So 15th March i went vista print, 1000 flyers and 250 business cards, 16th March went into city and bought 3 squeegees, a bucket, a set of ladders, roof rack, clamps, applicator, various cloths.

March 22/23 went flyer dropping and run out of flyers, so back to vista print for another 5000 flyers.

March 25th did my first customer and EVERY DAY since has been 2-3-4-5+ calls a day booking me to clean.

Still working full time as a baker at moment and doing windows evenings and weekends. But last week just 3weeks after taking a punt on windows ive had to speak to my boss whose agreed from 28th April i can work mon-tue-wed and do windows thur-fri-sat & sun if needed, from 1st june i am quiting fully to do windows.

Last week i discovered WCW and kitted myself out as the other stuff wasnt cutting the mustard, but new complete kit from Ungers S range has me cleaning windows quicker already.

God knows why i didnt do it sooner.

Only advice i really need is on which cloths are best to use for. Detailing, wiping frames etc etc

Currently sitting on a client base of 50ish

My prices ive been told by a few ppl are to cheap opinions would be gladly recieved.

Bungalows from £5.00

Terrace Houses from £8.00

Semi Detatched Houses from £10.00 Detatched Houses from £10.00

But my overheads are minimal really, ive spent maybe £700 setting up including insurance 
Race to the bottom ?

Race to the bottom ?
Yep, race to the bottom. Only people laughing will be the customers, then when you've had enough they'll find another mug who's new to the game and will take any work at any price, until they've had enough,  and so it continues. Meanwhile the rest of us who are serious about the business will keep strengthening our business rather than prostitute ourselves. Apologies for the p word, absolutely no offence intended but I can only tell things as I see them. It's just so important to look to building up rather than just looking for any work available at any price. 

Example : I have a cousin in London in his early fifties. Been a painter /decorater for most of his adult life and does top quality work. He was going to visit me in Wiltshire for a weekend In May. Phoned up in a stress shortly before to say he can't come down until at least October because he's booked up until then, seven days a week. He was telling me about one job he priced and the customer said they would get further quotes. He told them that that that was ok but they wouldn't find anyone cheaper. That tells me that he's afraid to lose any work so prices rock bottom.

It's important to price high enough to not be run ragged for a pittance, even when starting out. Start cheap and then you end up taking on neighbours and friends of customers cheap as well. How do you then put the prices up to what they should be to thrive? Scort and struggle for a pittance or aim to thrive? That's the choice as most of us see it, I reckon. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, race to the bottom. Only people laughing will be the customers, then when you've had enough they'll find another mug who's new to the game and will take any work at any price, until they've had enough,  and so it continues. Meanwhile the rest of us who are serious about the business will keep strengthening our business rather than prostitute ourselves. Apologies for the p word, absolutely no offence intended but I can only tell things as I see them. It's just so important to look to building up rather than just looking for any work available at any price. 

Example : I have a cousin in London in his early fifties. Been a painter /decorater for most of his adult life and does top quality work. He was going to visit me in Wiltshire for a weekend In May. Phoned up in a stress shortly before to say he can't come down until at least October because he's booked up until then, seven days a week. He was telling me about one job he priced and the customer said they would get further quotes. He told them that that that was ok but they wouldn't find anyone cheaper. That tells me that he's afraid to lose any work so prices rock bottom.

It's important to price high enough to not be run ragged for a pittance, even when starting out. Start cheap and then you end up taking on neighbours and friends of customers cheap as well. How do you then put the prices up to what they should be to thrive? Scort and struggle for a pittance or aim to thrive? That's the choice as most of us see it, I reckon. 
Couldt say it better .. spot on ! 

Personally don't really think "from" 10 pound for a semi is too bad. If fairly compact, that's 30 an hour and within 2 years could be 35-40 an hour - if not more when you can start to do them in 10/15 mins. That would be traditional too so that's good money if you ask me.

There's loads of cleaners near me that do semis for 6 pound. I price at 10-14 for a standard 2 bed/3 bed semi and find myself making good money.

Some people here are pretty much saying they wouldn't work for 35-40 an hour which I don't get because self employed or not, that's a good wage.

Back