Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van anti freeze measures

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jimmybob2614

So i can't get power to the van as we don't have an outside plug etc. What other options do I have to keep the set up from freezing and causing any damage? 

I saw squeaky clean dave on YouTube recommending getting a duvet and putting 2 or 3 got water bottles under it before bed to keep the frost at bay so as to not get any problems. Has anyone done this to good effect? And what do I need to be most conscious of to keep warm? I assume the RO, DI and hose real?

So i can't get power to the van as we don't have an outside plug etc. What other options do I have to keep the set up from freezing and causing any damage? 

I saw squeaky clean dave on YouTube recommending getting a duvet and putting 2 or 3 got water bottles under it before bed to keep the frost at bay so as to not get any problems. Has anyone done this to good effect? And what do I need to be most conscious of to keep warm? I assume the RO, DI and hose real?
Plenty of winter frost preventative measures listed within the threads and youtube. insulation with a high R rating such as loft insulation, polystyrene, celotex and loft header tank insulation jacket kits all offer a degree of help.

I have a fan heater and i just stick it in the van for an hour in the morning with an extension lead, in 2 winters ive only had frozen pipes in the van once and with the fan heater for an hour it cured it.

I have a fan heater and i just stick it in the van for an hour in the morning with an extension lead, in 2 winters ive only had frozen pipes in the van once and with the fan heater for an hour it cured it.
Any insulation etc? My van is relatively sheltered on the drive 

Any insulation etc? My van is relatively sheltered on the drive 
I dont use any mate but im running a 2 man set up this year so may just get a cpl of old duvets and wrap them round my hose reels at night if it looks like theres gonna be a frost.

Also i dont produce water in my van so not much in the way of small bore pipework inside my van.

I'd say your best bet is insulating as much as you can and trying to make hoses pump and reel a plug and play kind of system so that you can easily lift out. Before I garaged my van in winter I used to just leave one pile and the reel in the garage and just wrapped everything up with fiberglass. And put a heater on for a few hours in the night

Before I had the ways and means of outside power I did very similar to Squeeky Clean Dave's suggestion. Instead of using a bulky duvet though I used thick fleece blankets as they are easier quicker and more compact to use. They are also easier to dry, being less bulky. I would insulate the inside of the van if possible. Rubber matting (Halfords garage floor, click together is good) and I'd suggest double foil backed bubble wrap glued to the roof, bulkhead and sides with aerosol carpet glue. Put the hot water bottles in the van as late as you can. You don't need to keep the van warm. A few degrees above freezing will be enough. Make sure the blanket goes over the pump and the reel. One problem I sometimes had was water freezing in the pole and brush. If it's really cold it might be worth taking the pole indoors.

Don't know if this is true but I was told you don't need to heat the van, you just need to get a fan and have that blow all night. The movement of air stops things freezing.

My van has insulation on walls, multiple insulation layers on the tank which has an immersion fitted, all pipe work is triple insulated electric reel has an insulation cover and I normally use an oil filled radiator. Plus I use a compressor to blow water out of the pipework when its really cold.

But I might try a rechargeable desk top fan this year and see if air movement stops.things freezing..

Someone here , don't remember who, sugested duvet and hot water bottles and it worked very well,  I wish I could do it for my outdoor tank but it would go mouldy pretty quick.

That's a good idea actually!
Or just get one of those plastic garden storage things. A 350l tank will fit inside with room for PIR (celotex) insulation as well. You could also cover the whole thing up as well if and when needed. . 

Last edited by a moderator:

If your van is ply-lined take it off the sides and put foil bubble wrap on the sides and put the ply lining back on also put it on the roof with tape this will also stop moisture build up on the roof, duvets over the hose reel and pump etc, @THL4KEL has used foam pipe insulation on the hose so you could do this also. 

While we are on the subject of insulation, has anyone carpeted their van's roof with that 4 way stretch carpeting please?

While we are on the subject of insulation, has anyone carpeted their van's roof with that 4 way stretch carpeting please?
I'd be worried it might hold moisture from condensation. There will almost certainly be a cold spot or two on the metal somewhere. For that reason I personally will only use non soaking closed cell foam or rubber on weight bearing surfaces (flooring, bulkhead). And foil/bubble wrap on non load bearing, low wear and tear areas- Roof, sides, tank. I have carpet lining on the campervan but I wouldn't use it on the work van where there's always a risk of moisture. Having said that I don't know anything about the carpet you described. It might well be ok.

If your van is ply-lined take it off the sides and put foil bubble wrap on the sides and put the ply lining back on also put it on the roof with tape this will also stop moisture build up on the roof, duvets over the hose reel and pump etc, @THL4KEL has used foam pipe insulation on the hose so you could do this also. 
I have put the silver foil bubble wrap on my van ceiling and it’s still gets a little condensation abeit not as much so don’t think stretching carpet will do a good job myself. 

So i can't get power to the van as we don't have an outside plug etc.
Why not get an outside plug fitted. It's a pretty straightforward job for an electrician.

I use a Meaco dehumidifier which I put in the van overnight during winter. It's a dessicant dehumidifier so it not only extracts dampness from the van but also increases the temperature. I have radiator foil on the roof of the van & bubble wrap behind the ply sides in order to keep the warmth in.

Can I just add. For anyone contemplating using bubble wrap it's well worth using the type with foil on both sides. This type not only has the limited insulation value of the bubbles but also and just as important, the foil forms a thermal barrier in its own right and reflects the heat back. Like a space blanket. Works an absolute treat for insulating a tank. Use several layers, it's cheap as chips.

No as condensation is a pain unless you spend ages adding dynamat or self adhesive thermal matt. 

I've built camper vans but in window cleaning vans the humidity levels are high and can promote mould growth 

Ive read of these extra long hot water bottles or scarves that can stay warm for up to 6 hours. On those frost nights you could use them, get some in the van as late as you can and get up early and re-fill them. Thinking of these myself, just to wrap around the pump  etc. I always bring the pole indoors and when extra cold bring the hose reel in too.

Latest Posts

Back