Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van Security

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Nothing does unfortunately. Mate had two of his vans done that way. Broad daylight. Outside a clients house.

I’ve ordered the two armadillos through part of me just thinks I’ve spent £300 making my van look even more worth breaking into.
But at least you know the opportunist out on the mooch with a screwdriver ain’t gonna be banging a hole through them plates so you’ve reduced the risk ??

But at least you know the opportunist out on the mooch with a screwdriver ain’t gonna be banging a hole through them plates so you’ve reduced the risk ??

Yea exactly. They’re still only bolted through the steel of the van door but come with decent spreader plates and are really solidly built and quite obvious. I’ve also added a 2mm stainless plate to the outside of where they drilled previously and a 5mm plate on the inside. Enough to make the opportunists walk on by hopefully.

I have £10k of van tool insurance with Aplan think its £450 a year.

Have to say that I have insurance with Admiral toolbox and apart from the hassle of listing stuff and producing receipts they’ve been brilliant. Very quick. Claim settled in full without question within a few days of me submitting my info. Very impressed.

Police on the other hand have been worse than useless. Bearing in mind I have high-res footage of the entire theft we’re now three weeks in and all I have is an assurance that they will circulate the pictures after I’ve made a formal statement. (Apparently they may be able to do that later this week ?) I reported the number plate being used within a couple of hours and submitted my report and all the info and CCTV within a couple of days of the theft. In the meantime these guys have probably robbed another 50 vans. No wonder they continue to do so. Absolutely nil chance of being caught I would have thought. Makes no odds to me my stuff is long gone but all the thefts that could have been prevented in the meantime is infuriating.

Well. £300 of locks fitted and yesterday 3 of us up a scaffold. Look down and see some scrote in a Covid mask helping himself to the Makita boxed tools on the clients driveway. Shouted after and he took flight with three boxes. Thankfully dropped two of them on his way over the low garden wall before jumping into a waiting car and off with the £400 quids worth he managed to hang onto. ?. Now can’t even have tools out to work. Going to have to spend half the day walking backward and forward locking tools in the van as we need them or dragging the whole lot up the scaffold.

Meanwhile the police say they aren’t yet able to release the pictures I gave them of my last theft nearly a month ago as ‘there is a process to go through’. Pointless box-ticking exercise on their part and no wonder these scum just continue to do this on a daily basis with literally no change of getting caught.

Well. £300 of locks fitted and yesterday 3 of us up a scaffold. Look down and see some scrote in a Covid mask helping himself to the Makita boxed tools on the clients driveway. Shouted after and he took flight with three boxes. Thankfully dropped two of them on his way over the low garden wall before jumping into a waiting car and off with the £400 quids worth he managed to hang onto. ?. Now can’t even have tools out to work. Going to have to spend half the day walking backward and forward locking tools in the van as we need them or dragging the whole lot up the scaffold.

Meanwhile the police say they aren’t yet able to release the pictures I gave them of my last theft nearly a month ago as ‘there is a process to go through’. Pointless box-ticking exercise on their part and no wonder these scum just continue to do this on a daily basis with literally no change of getting caught.
I hate to be the one to say it but whoever left those tools is just as much to blame, I see it all too often tradesmen with tools left out or the side door wide open and the owner is well out of the way,

I have just my poles but if I get a walk-up and can quickly quote if it's a few doors down I'll disconnect my pole and take it with me, I leave nothing to chance because I trust no one.

Ware about dare you ??

Totally understand, there was a pair of thieves in an old van who used to drive about looking for houses getting work done. They would stop and sneak up and lift any tools lying outside the house. Not seen them for years now and must have been caught. I have a few tool safes which are big for holding tools but you would need to screw it down or they would try and steal it but keeps tools dry and safe when outside.

Totally understand, there was a pair of thieves in an old van who used to drive about looking for houses getting work done. They would stop and sneak up and lift any tools lying outside the house. Not seen them for years now and must have been caught. I have a few tool safes which are big for holding tools but you would need to screw it down or they would try and steal it but keeps tools dry and safe when outside.
It’s a nightmare. Areas that I work in are all very nice with lots of expensive houses. But that also means lots of tradesmen and lots of tools. It’s seems pretty constant here and has been for ages. Tools, cats, spare wheels etc. Very few burglaries. Easier, less risky ways of nicking these days.

I was looking at a van vault for the van, not that I leave anything in it overnight or could take it easily off the van during the day. Got to try and find some sort of balance between security and actually getting some work done.

I hate to be the one to say it but whoever left those tools is just as much to blame, I see it all too often tradesmen with tools left out or the side door wide open and the owner is well out of the way,

I have just my poles but if I get a walk-up and can quickly quote if it's a few doors down I'll disconnect my pole and take it with me, I leave nothing to chance because I trust no one.
Nobody is at fault for someone stealing their gear except the thief. We were working. Short of locking them all back in the van or taking them all up the scaffold it’s difficult to find a balance. Probably going to have to veer towards the former though as the latter is a safety issue. We try and have virtually nothing on the scaffold unless it’s in our hands. Too much chance of tripping.

Nobody is at fault for someone stealing their gear except the thief. We were working. Short of locking them all back in the van or taking them all up the scaffold it’s difficult to find a balance. Probably going to have to veer towards the former though as the latter is a safety issue. We try and have virtually nothing on the scaffold unless it’s in our hands. Too much chance of tripping.
Unfortunately, this is the way

Unless you take precautions as you've done with your van security your going to get stuff knicked, leaving over 1k of tools sat on the floor and going up onto to scaffolding is a golden opportunity for a theif because they can pop up anywhere, as you found out yesterday

The brass neck of some is unreal, twice in the last 6 months I have walked in to a local co-op to see some one clearing a shelf and running off and this is despite security cameras and staff and the general public.

I'm now thinking would it be better if the van was unlocked the only thing I have in the van is tank, reel, backpack fold up ladder some trad stuff.

The backpack and ladder I could put in the garage overnight

my thinking is the damage that is done to get in the van could be £1000's to fix which is way more than anything in the van

It's a bit like the HGV drivers leaving the back open so they don't damage anything trying to get in for nothing inside

Unfortunately, this is the way

Unless you take precautions as you've done with your van security your going to get stuff knicked, leaving over 1k of tools sat on the floor and going up onto to scaffolding is a golden opportunity for a theif because they can pop up anywhere, as you found out yesterday

The brass neck of some is unreal, twice in the last 6 months I have walked in to a local co-op to see some one clearing a shelf and running off and this is despite security cameras and staff and the general public.
Cameras and the general public make zero difference. Especially with shoplifting. My local Wickes has been hit by travellers a lot recently. They walk in. Take what they want and walk out. No attempt to hide it. No rush. No hiding their faces from cctv. They know the staff won’t get involved and the police won’t respond so why not.

It’s a nightmare. Areas that I work in are all very nice with lots of expensive houses. But that also means lots of tradesmen and lots of tools. It’s seems pretty constant here and has been for ages. Tools, cats, spare wheels etc. Very few burglaries. Easier, less risky ways of nicking these days.
Wait till they realise that some electric car batteries can be removed by 4 bolts. Then its £18k to replace them, no one seems to understand the money in lithium batteries but soon the penny will drop.

I'm now thinking would it be better if the van was unlocked the only thing I have in the van is tank, reel, backpack fold up ladder some trad stuff.

The backpack and ladder I could put in the garage overnight

my thinking is the damage that is done to get in the van could be £1000's to fix which is way more than anything in the van

It's a bit like the HGV drivers leaving the back open so they don't damage anything trying to get in for nothing inside
Get up for work and someone is sleeping in the back and demanding squatters rights.

I was looking at a van vault for the van, not that I leave anything in it overnight or could take it easily off the van during the day. Got to try and find some sort of balance between security and actually getting some work done.
I bought a few for £150 each but probably £300 now. Well worth the money and good for the lockup or shed. Means they would need to try and break into it when in the place and a good chance they get cornered.

Latest Posts

Back