Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Housemartins

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mart1001

I am so sick of them. Don't know if anyone else has problems with them ?

I do an estate that is a little out in the sticks so to speak and the housemartin activity is so high there. It's not normally too much of a problem but this week has been terrible. Because it's been so bloody hot, people have all their windows open, the little top openers make a beautiful sanitation fixture for all the bird droppings, they always build their nest above these windows it seems and I'm so sick of having to use my scraper to remove literally inches of build up from these things. Then the wind catches the powdery substance which blows in my face, sticks to my sweat soaked arms and face...I'm spitting it off my lips etc etc.

Then there's the mess it leaves on the upvc frames, it stains and it's not even worth trying to scrub them clean anymore because next week, they'll be destroyed again. An house that normally takes me 30 minutes, took over an hour today...not a very happy hour again for me today. Please tell me I'm not the only one with this curse lying over my head...literally !

Mart.

nope mart...me got loads as well....and they can be quite vicious little baskets when you go near their nest....that reminds me i have a farm to do and that place is mad with them....even under the passageways....i crackin up in this heat:eek:

I clean the exterior of a house every year for a customer after house martins have buggered off.

The house in question has about 20 active house martin nests so you can just imagine the mess they make.

Thanks lads.

Yea, the one I cleaned today has 4 but I cleaned two new houses yesterday with a one off clean for next month, all with the same problem. As I say, it's been worse this week cause people are forced to open that top window that just gets hammered by the droppings.

I read that link earlier Smurf amongst others....I had no idea that they actually bugger off all the way to Africa come October, and then in the spring, they come back and find and rebuild the same nest !...amazing things really.

Anyway, with window cleaning in mind, I also found this link :-http://www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/10626177.Window_cleaner_fined_for_destroying_housemartin_nests/

Mart.

Seagulls here on the coast

Splatter everywhere but am sure

not quite like having housemartins

about and nice joke mart by the way

if that dust blows in your face make sure you don't get the" Old red eyes"!!!

Back