Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Which Pole, SLX or Extreme.....18ft or 22ft?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

get the best WFP equipment you can afford...ive been wfp for 10 years now...the easiest set up is a van mount with electric reel,hot water and xtreme poles...oh and NEVER use minibore hose!...it beggars belief that some of you guys are still using this hose,microbore is the way to go for an easier working day......
I started window cleaning part-time 3 years ago but my cleaning business never took off till I joined this forum. I read it ever day and found out what the optimum working practise were. Then I worked hard to buy my hot water Grippatank system and everything has fell into place. The job is fairly easy now and I'm picking up a new customer every week now. Last week I picked up 4 new customers and looking to see an other windy about his run. Everything is just falling into place for me probably because I have no debt to worry about.

Window cleaner for nearly 20 years but been on the pole game for just over 5 years now, I’ve always gone for the SLX poles, 2x 18’s and 1x 35 - over the years they also seem to of come down in price too, my 2.5 year old SLX section 2 snapped when i tried to close a top window few months ago. But of late ive been getting really fatigued during the afternoons and grudgingly use the SLX 35 only when i really have to.

We’ve all got those ‘awquard’ windies round the odd house that an 18 just doesn’t reach, so up to now I’ve trapsed back to my van to fetch my 35 (just hate that pole - just because of the weight). I needed some little bits off Gardiners recently and starting adding to my basket....heard about the XTREME poles and saw their in depth weight/dimensions etc sheet. The Xtreme 18 is 230g lighter than the SLX18 - but at well over double the cost. It really intrigued me to try an Xtreme pole, but the price and the less tough approach of that pole were hurdles i couldnt get over, especially as i do shut top windows with my SLX which i’d be scared to do with an Xtreme. Cant justify the cost especially as an SLX will last longer.

So my daily driver is an SLX18 tubeless/univalve set up, swivvel head, tried all jets, but do prefer the fan jets, with my 6mm microbore reel hose going up my pole so i have no connections from my pole to reel - originally i thought was a great idea due to less snagging etc. But i am now starting to realise if that is why im getting more fatigued due to making my pole a little heavier esp when fully extended. Theres never any easy roads in any job, and its all the testing and trialing new things and ways is whats annoying and costly. So im going to go back to usual pole hose with 6mm barb connector (which always seems to need changing every couple months) to reel hose and an xtreme brush (dependant on the window of course). I have a lot of leaded windows on my round, and ones with leaded on front and normal pvc round sides and backs, having to go back to the van to change pole/brush each time again is always a pain...i wonder too if the fact i prefer the SuperLight medium mixed brush (220g) is also adding to the fatigue as ive so many varied windows, but going to go back to the xtreme 95g brush which seems like a toy to me and would last about a month - nonetheless i decided to add one to my basket for trial purposes lol. ive also decided to take the plunge and order an SLX section 5 extention so it will get those awquard silly windows instead of getting the dredded 35 out and can just use in future for my 3 blocks of flats and a handful of veluxes.

I’ve also tried the slick connectors, they are ok, but now i have the xline power reels with the roller guides fixed to it so i think the slick connector will prove more hassle than its worth. Read a few of you who have raved about the electric reels...well thats all ive every known lol, i cant imagine reeling in a hose by hand, isnt your energy to be used cleaning the windows? Worth every penny and not exactly a huge outlay. I’ve never had problems with my 2x reels killing off my battery.

As i said its all trial and error, we are all different and work differently. I bought a few rinse bars from Gardiners £20 a pop (rip off really) loved them to start with, got through my work quicker, but theres always a downside, using a hell of a lot more water and popping pressure up to 65-70 for it to be effective, doing that every day is not good going on your pump/battery. 

So many variables in this game, but if you get fatigued 2-3 hours before you complete your worksheet, it just makes you in a bad mood and want to go home early, and can slow you up, so im just trying to trial other things out or go back to my old methods to see if i can go longer or the same but be happier lol...so one answer doesnt fit all, experiment and trial different things, we ll get there eventually....then a new invention will come out lol

Window cleaner for nearly 20 years but been on the pole game for just over 5 years now, I’ve always gone for the SLX poles, 2x 18’s and 1x 35 - over the years they also seem to of come down in price too, my 2.5 year old SLX section 2 snapped when i tried to close a top window few months ago. But of late ive been getting really fatigued during the afternoons and grudgingly use the SLX 35 only when i really have to.

We’ve all got those ‘awquard’ windies round the odd house that an 18 just doesn’t reach, so up to now I’ve trapsed back to my van to fetch my 35 (just hate that pole - just because of the weight). I needed some little bits off Gardiners recently and starting adding to my basket....heard about the XTREME poles and saw their in depth weight/dimensions etc sheet. The Xtreme 18 is 230g lighter than the SLX18 - but at well over double the cost. It really intrigued me to try an Xtreme pole, but the price and the less tough approach of that pole were hurdles i couldnt get over, especially as i do shut top windows with my SLX which i’d be scared to do with an Xtreme. Cant justify the cost especially as an SLX will last longer.

So my daily driver is an SLX18 tubeless/univalve set up, swivvel head, tried all jets, but do prefer the fan jets, with my 6mm microbore reel hose going up my pole so i have no connections from my pole to reel - originally i thought was a great idea due to less snagging etc. But i am now starting to realise if that is why im getting more fatigued due to making my pole a little heavier esp when fully extended. Theres never any easy roads in any job, and its all the testing and trialing new things and ways is whats annoying and costly. So im going to go back to usual pole hose with 6mm barb connector (which always seems to need changing every couple months) to reel hose and an xtreme brush (dependant on the window of course). I have a lot of leaded windows on my round, and ones with leaded on front and normal pvc round sides and backs, having to go back to the van to change pole/brush each time again is always a pain...i wonder too if the fact i prefer the SuperLight medium mixed brush (220g) is also adding to the fatigue as ive so many varied windows, but going to go back to the xtreme 95g brush which seems like a toy to me and would last about a month - nonetheless i decided to add one to my basket for trial purposes lol. ive also decided to take the plunge and order an SLX section 5 extention so it will get those awquard silly windows instead of getting the dredded 35 out and can just use in future for my 3 blocks of flats and a handful of veluxes.

I’ve also tried the slick connectors, they are ok, but now i have the xline power reels with the roller guides fixed to it so i think the slick connector will prove more hassle than its worth. Read a few of you who have raved about the electric reels...well thats all ive every known lol, i cant imagine reeling in a hose by hand, isnt your energy to be used cleaning the windows? Worth every penny and not exactly a huge outlay. I’ve never had problems with my 2x reels killing off my battery.

As i said its all trial and error, we are all different and work differently. I bought a few rinse bars from Gardiners £20 a pop (rip off really) loved them to start with, got through my work quicker, but theres always a downside, using a hell of a lot more water and popping pressure up to 65-70 for it to be effective, doing that every day is not good going on your pump/battery. 

So many variables in this game, but if you get fatigued 2-3 hours before you complete your worksheet, it just makes you in a bad mood and want to go home early, and can slow you up, so im just trying to trial other things out or go back to my old methods to see if i can go longer or the same but be happier lol...so one answer doesnt fit all, experiment and trial different things, we ll get there eventually....then a new invention will come out lol
If you haven't tried already, the 35cm Hybrid Tapertec brush is a real game changer.

I have read @Part Timertake on using a CLX pole over an SLX equivalent on a few occassions.

My trusty old SLX22 recently developed a soft spot on the first extension. It was very worn and as Gardiners didn't have stock of a replacement pole I replaced that first section with the first section of my old CLX22 stored away in my 'old parts' bin. All the CLX needs/ed was/is a smart clamp upgrade.

The CLX section is just fractionally worn in a couple of places with the black carbon showing. I extended the pole fully out the other day and there is less flex on the CLX section than the second and third remaining sections.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read @Part Timertake on using a CLX pole over an SLX equivalent on a few occassions.

My trusty old SLX22 recently developed a soft spot on the first extension. It was very worn and as Gardiners didn't have stock of a replacement pole I replaced that first section with the first section of my old CLX22 stored away in my 'old parts' bin. All the CLX needs/ed was/is a smart clamp upgrade.

The CLX section is just fractionally worn in a couple of places with the black carbon showing. I extended the pole fully out the other day and there is less flex on the CLX section than the second and third remaining sections.
The much lighter brushes, hybrid tapertec, are a great help for the CLX poles as well.  

@spruce Nailed the perfect explanation. With all the mew guys starting out asking about poles i really see it as ability because window cleaning in general really tests your fitness ability and dexterity.

My best advice is buy a pole that suits you and not something everybody else recommends. Unfortunately there are not shops on every high street that sell WFP equipment.

When I started out I went and spoke to already accomplished window cleaners and got to try their poles.

Sounds a bit rude I know.

Living in Devon and having Lee at Bladeright in the neighbouring county was great to see and speak to a window cleaner and equipment supplier.

I actually made my own pole before starting from scratch to gauge my ability and strength with handling poles.

If you are new to the industry and haven't yet brought any equipment I strongly recommend you go and find a fellow window cleaner and see what he's using.

@spruce Nailed the perfect explanation. With all the mew guys starting out asking about poles i really see it as ability because window cleaning in general really tests your fitness ability and dexterity.

My best advice is buy a pole that suits you and not something everybody else recommends. Unfortunately there are not shops on every high street that sell WFP equipment.

When I started out I went and spoke to already accomplished window cleaners and got to try their poles.

Sounds a bit rude I know.

Living in Devon and having Lee at Bladeright in the neighbouring county was great to see and speak to a window cleaner and equipment supplier.

I actually made my own pole before starting from scratch to gauge my ability and strength with handling poles.

If you are new to the industry and haven't yet brought any equipment I strongly recommend you go and find a fellow window cleaner and see what he's using.
I'm a bit confused on this one. If someone's asking for opinions on here they're obviously not sure what will suit them. If they ask advice on here they will get the opinions of a lot of people with various amounts of experience each with their own preferences and reasons. They can take that information and make an informed choice on what they think sounds like the best for their needs (length, price etc) , subject to budget available. With some of the modern, lightweight equipment available, if you're working mainly on two storey houses, it's not hard work. It's light exercise. If you're working regularly on high buildings that's a different matter entirely.

I started with heavy, bendy fibreglass poles and Vikan brushes which were probably more suited to washing lorries.

At the time, I asked a friend who'd been a windy for four years to look them over. He was "surprised how light they were." He was, and still is using aluminium poles! If I'd only taken his advise and not found this forum, I don't what kit I'd be using now.

The advice of one, or the advice of many?

I kept reading Gardiner were the most popular poles for quality. There was surely a reason? I bought an SLX 22 and was delighted with the difference to what I had been using (speed, lightness, rigidity) . Now, with six and a half years under my belt, it would without doubt, be the pole I would recommend for starting out and for the first few years.

I now use an Extreme 22 so I could get back to work after having my innards rearranged during major surgery. I recommend the Extreme too but not for starting out. Too expensive and potentially fragile if dropped to use as a learning tool.

If your just cleaning windows use a CLX on standard houses.

If your cleaning windows and fascia buy a SLX. From personal experience cleaning new build cheap gutter fascia you can easily cause damage with a whippy pole.

If you have money to spend get an Extreme less joint pain, you finish work and don't feel tired.

I'm a bit confused on this one. If someone's asking for opinions on here they're obviously not sure what will suit them. If they ask advice on here they will get the opinions of a lot of people with various amounts of experience each with their own preferences and reasons. They can take that information and make an informed choice on what they think sounds like the best for their needs (length, price etc) , subject to budget available. With some of the modern, lightweight equipment available, if you're working mainly on two storey houses, it's not hard work. It's light exercise. If you're working regularly on high buildings that's a different matter entirely.

I started with heavy, bendy fibreglass poles and Vikan brushes which were probably more suited to washing lorries.

At the time, I asked a friend who'd been a windy for four years to look them over. He was "surprised how light they were." He was, and still is using aluminium poles! If I'd only taken his advise and not found this forum, I don't what kit I'd be using now.

The advice of one, or the advice of many?

I kept reading Gardiner were the most popular poles for quality. There was surely a reason? I bought an SLX 22 and was delighted with the difference to what I had been using (speed, lightness, rigidity) . Now, with six and a half years under my belt, it would without doubt, be the pole I would recommend for starting out and for the first few years.

I now use an Extreme 22 so I could get back to work after having my innards rearranged during major surgery. I recommend the Extreme too but not for starting out. Too expensive and potentially fragile if dropped to use as a learning tool.
New window cleaners have no idea how good they have it today with regard to equipment choice.

I tried a fiberglass pole used by a fellow windie 15 years ago and decided it wasn't for me. We used Unger Teleplus ali poles and they were bad enough with an Unger oval on the end.

A DIY forum ran a step by step conversion of a Ron Thompson Putover modular carbon fishing pole into a wfp pole.

It was so light and rigid when married up to a converted Bentley floor brush. But being modular was very time consuming breaking the pole down to clean downstairs windows. It was easy to leave sections behind. For us the introduction of the CLX and SLX telescopic range with a Gardiners Superlight brush was a major step forward.

We still have the Teleplus poles on the van, mainly used with a wide Unger scraper, an applicator and pivoting squeegee for high interior trad cleans.

I still use one of the old Vikan ovals to clean the van every blue moon.

New window cleaners have no idea how good they have it today with regard to equipment choice.

I tried a fiberglass pole used by a fellow windie 15 years ago and decided it wasn't for me. We used Unger Teleplus ali poles and they were bad enough with an Unger oval on the end.

A DIY forum ran a step by step conversion of a Ron Thompson Putover modular carbon fishing pole into a wfp pole.

It was so light and rigid when married up to a converted Bently floor brush. But being modular was very time consuming breaking the pole down to clean downstairs windows. It was easy to leave sections behind. For us the introduction of the CLX and SLX telescopic range with a Gardiners Superlight brush was a major step forward.

We still have the Teleplus poles on the van, mainly used with a wide Unger scraper, an applicator and pivoting squeegee for high interior trad cleans.

I still use one of the old Vikan ovals to clean the van every blue moon.
Yeah, equipment evolves. Some of the equipment you mention is completely unknown to me and out of my experience.

I do remember my father in London in the 1960s working from heavy triple wooden ladders with a sash rope pully system to extend them. At no time in my life would I have been strong enough to work with them.

Yeah, equipment evolves. Some of the equipment you mention is completely unknown to me and out of my experience.

I do remember my father in London in the 1960s working from heavy triple wooden ladders with a sash rope pully system to extend them. At no time in my life would I have been strong enough to work with them.
And if the rope broke they would 'walk' them up the wall on the ladder. Frightening just thinking about it now.

Back