Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiners Xtreme Pole...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Neilmnwc

Well credit where it's due. I've now had my first Gardiner Xtreme 22ft Pole for 30months and have only just had to replace Section 1! I had been hovering over the buy button since they came out but just couldn't do it, however Rotator Cuff injuries started becoming an issue along with elbow problems in the same arm so my hand was forced a bit to buy one.

The difference between this and the SLX was night and day for me, much lighter in the hand and at extreme angles, and much more rigid so not fighting the bend.

I was only expecting about 18months out of it after reading so many scare stories, but am more than chuffed with it after 30months. It has outlived all my SLX poles weirdly, although I've looked after this well.

To conclude, my Rotator cuff is no longer an issue, nor is the elbow pain, so for me the added expense was worth it in time I would have had to have taken off without it. I'd still buy another Xtreme 22, but would dearly like them to be cheaper...I can live in hope!

I don't buy xtreme poles anymore.they are just too fragile to use as a day to day pole for me.all my xtremes(and I've had quite a few!)are knackered after 12 months.

A good compromise for me is the xline nano.its slightly heavier and more rigid than an xtreme pole but wears down a lot less.mines 12 months old now and plenty of life left in it yet.its also cheaper to buy.i reckon I'll get at least another 12 months out of it yet...?

Nice to hear. What was your maintenance routine?
To start with every week or so, wiping the sections down and using PTFE or Silicone Dry lubricant.
After a few weeks of never taking it apart I did so and saw the grit trapped in the stopper tape. After that, I'd strip completely every few weeks and re apply tape. I'd wipe clean and spray every week.
I don't abuse my kit, but it is used daily.
I was genuinely surprised as the months then years went on, almost believing it'd somehow self destruct?.

I don't buy xtreme poles anymore.they are just too fragile to use as a day to day pole for me.all my xtremes(and I've had quite a few!)are knackered after 12 months.

A good compromise for me is the xline nano.its slightly heavier and more rigid than an xtreme pole but wears down a lot less.mines 12 months old now and plenty of life left in it yet.its also cheaper to buy.i reckon I'll get at least another 12 months out of it yet...?
I've got xtremes in various states so just put together poles of different sections as I have bought Slx's and even three sections of what was I think either 2k carbon s-max sections when they were been sold off years ago which I chopped down to make them shorter,

For me the best poles are Gardiners but in the way, I make them up ? my current daily is a 22ft pole sections 1 & 2 which are 2k carbon and the other 3 are xtreme sections so really durable abusable top sections and nice lightweight sections 3 to 5 which would be the heaviest on any pole and I've still got some of those old metal banded xtreme sections

To start with every week or so, wiping the sections down and using PTFE or Silicone Dry lubricant.
After a few weeks of never taking it apart I did so and saw the grit trapped in the stopper tape. After that, I'd strip completely every few weeks and re apply tape. I'd wipe clean and spray every week.
I don't abuse my kit, but it is used daily.
I was genuinely surprised as the months then years went on, almost believing it'd somehow self destruct?.
This is totally different to my philosophy, by my guesstimate you're spending 2 hours a month maintaining your pole. If you then calculate that is 2 x 30 that's 60 hours you've spent maintaining it.
Assuming your hourly rate is £30 an hour that's cost you £1800, in lost earnings, to maintain the pole. Twice what it would cost to replace.
Everyone is different but that is my take on pole maintenance.

This is totally different to my philosophy, by my guesstimate you're spending 2 hours a month maintaining your pole. If you then calculate that is 2 x 30 that's 60 hours you've spent maintaining it.
Assuming your hourly rate is £30 an hour that's cost you £1800, in lost earnings, to maintain the pole. Twice what it would cost to replace.
I'm all for getting the most out of things across the board, but with poles, I use them as I see fit which no longer involves maintenance then replace

Apart from the odd flush out with water(without taking the sections apart)and a bit of PTFE spray occasionally I can't be bothered to look after my poles.

My one bugbear with gardiner poles is the joint stop tape!I hate it!

I've never had a problem with my nano pole in 12 months.no jammed up tape....I've not even took the sections apart!

I've got xtremes in various states so just put together poles of different sections as I have bought Slx's and even three sections of what was I think either 2k carbon s-max sections when they were been sold off years ago which I chopped down to make them shorter,

For me the best poles are Gardiners but in the way, I make them up ? my current daily is a 22ft pole sections 1 & 2 which are 2k carbon and the other 3 are xtreme sections so really durable abusable top sections and nice lightweight sections 3 to 5 which would be the heaviest on any pole and I've still got some of those old metal banded xtreme sections
I've also done this a few times!mix and match!I've snapped at least 5 or 6 xtreme sections.its normally the first 3 sections that wear the most.
But IMO there's better poles out there now(sorry Alex!)....I just feel the xtreme is just TOO xtreme.it should be slightly heavier and stronger....the combination of lightness,strength and rigidity is just right on the nano poles.

Got a SLX 25 latest one 2years old used 5days a week 8 hours a day maintenance once a month still working well.Have others which are older and use for plastic and Connie cleaning

I have a 36 month year old Extreme. Cleaned about three times at the start then could not be bothered. Section one I had to hack saw the base. It cracked so I cut of two inches. Then I taped them so that you can not go past a certain point so stress cant be put on base. Had to glue a clamp back on, and put epoxy around section 1,2,3 clamps spots a couple of times. I did have to buy section 5, step ladders snapped cleaning a conny and when I fell the pole snapped in half on a rock. I just use it for fascia now.

I'm all for getting the most out of things across the board, but with poles, I use them as I see fit which no longer involves maintenance then replace
I agree I vary rarely take a pole apart if it’s lucky it might get the hose pipe in it to flush it out once every few months and then dry each section off and spray with ptfe type spray , and once in its life change the tape that’s it .

That's the way I look at it. I've started to do the same with my Skyvac Atom in the same way. If I'm out with it for a few hours and then spend another 30 minutes to 45 minutes or so cleaning it all out and flushing water through the pipes it just doesn't make sense. I'd rather buy another if it breaks. It's not the nicest of jobs to be doing either, especially if it's windy, cold and raining. Much easier to just put it in the garage and go and get a shower and a brew.

I always clean gutter vac at end of day. Only takes me about 15mins. Poles are prone to snapping with silt in them and the vac if not cleaned doesn't suck as well.

I've also done this a few times!mix and match!I've snapped at least 5 or 6 xtreme sections.its normally the first 3 sections that wear the most.
But IMO there's better poles out there now(sorry Alex!)....I just feel the xtreme is just TOO xtreme.it should be slightly heavier and stronger....the combination of lightness,strength and rigidity is just right on the nano poles.
I've found for me it gives me the best pole without compromising on having to move away from Gardiners,

With regards to the Nano are you able to fit Gardiners quick loc gooseneck end and use the brushes also how have you got on with the clamps? as they look quite a bit bigger and is there much adjustment in them

what puts me off with the Nano is they don't do a 22ft pole although they do a 22ft in the new hex pole which is only 1250grams which is only 90g heavier than the nano and I've found the carbon weave on the 2k sections to barely wear in comparison to other pole sections I have used over the years

I agree I vary rarely take a pole apart if it’s lucky it might get the hose pipe in it to flush it out once every few months and then dry each section off and spray with ptfe type spray , and once in its life change the tape that’s it .
I have faffed on in the past and spent money on cans of PTFE spray and lacquer but it all adds up I had never had to do this before with other poles and not in the early days of using Gardiners poles.

You must have really wrapped that pole in cotton wool and pampered it.

My last extreme lasted about a year, all top 3 sections snapped. 1st section lasted only 6 weeks lol

I had an extreme before that and got to the 7 month mark before 1 section let go.

I wont buy another one now and have moved onto the xline nano, its a much stronger pole.

You must have really wrapped that pole in cotton wool and pampered it.

My last extreme lasted about a year, all top 3 sections snapped. 1st section lasted only 6 weeks lol

I had an extreme before that and got to the 7 month mark before 1 section let go.

I wont buy another one now and have moved onto the xline nano, its a much stronger pole.
Sounds like you are very heavy handed to me ??? , I treat mine with respect but do shut Windows with it and it is used 8 hours most days

I've found for me it gives me the best pole without compromising on having to move away from Gardiners,

With regards to the Nano are you able to fit Gardiners quick loc gooseneck end and use the brushes also how have you got on with the clamps? as they look quite a bit bigger and is there much adjustment in them

what puts me off with the Nano is they don't do a 22ft pole although they do a 22ft in the new hex pole which is only 1250grams which is only 90g heavier than the nano and I've found the carbon weave on the 2k sections to barely wear in comparison to other pole sections I have used over the years
Yes gardiner goosenecks fit and the clamps are great.they only need a little adjustment every now and then.?

Latest Posts

Back