Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

White aluminium frames milky runoff

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Davit

Hi folks hope you are doing ok ?

Just asking for some advice please?

I did a 1st clean on a bungalow with white alu frames, the water running off was white with the old paint.  Finished the clean but thought it was best to clean out the brush properly at home afterwards ? cloths nasty too (as per pic)

I'm wondering 2 things please?

- Do you worry about contaminating your brush and bringing the nasty milk onto the next house's glass?

- Would you simply drop a house like this?

It's a really nice older lady, and a detached bungalow so I'm loath to give it up, hence the dilemma, but I hate getting stuff on my brush..

Appreciate your advice thank you ?

(PS I did search the forum on this topic, didn't find what I was looking for though)

IMG_20210824_140851.jpg

Hi folks hope you are doing ok ?

Just asking for some advice please?

I did a 1st clean on a bungalow with white alu frames, the water running off was white with the old paint.  Finished the clean but thought it was best to clean out the brush properly at home afterwards ? cloths nasty too (as per pic)

I'm wondering 2 things please?

- Do you worry about contaminating your brush and bringing the nasty milk onto the next house's glass?

- Would you simply drop a house like this?

It's a really nice older lady, and a detached bungalow so I'm loath to give it up, hence the dilemma, but I hate getting stuff on my brush..

Appreciate your advice thank you ?

(PS I did search the forum on this topic, didn't find what I was looking for though)

View attachment 25616
White stuff on your sock is from looking at to much new equipment on line...

On a serious note it's Calcification or galvanic corrosion from non ferrous metals such as aluminium that has been exposed to the elements 

Very common and and something that gets worse with time

Plenty of scrubbing and rising will remove a degree of it however it will bleed like black rubber seals do so on UPVC frames 

Ime assuming you are trad ??? The white milk coming off is the anodising breaking down eventually you will end up with shiny silver aluminium frames but they arnt a problem with trad , if wfp then they can be a pain for the first couple of cleans they need a really good scrub they will always rub off couloir but it’s possible to get nice clean shiny glass we have a few on our rounds like this just rinse well it’s not a problem. 

On a serious note it's Calcification or galvanic corrosion from non ferrous metals such as aluminium that has been exposed to the elements 

Plenty of scrubbing and rising will remove a degree of it however it will bleed like black rubber seals do so on UPVC frames 
Thank you ?

Aye it's annoying but guess it's just one of these things then..

Ime assuming you are trad ??? The white milk coming off is the anodising breaking down eventually you will end up with shiny silver aluminium frames but they arnt a problem with trad , if wfp then they can be a pain for the first couple of cleans they need a really good scrub they will always rub off couloir but it’s possible to get nice clean shiny glass we have a few on our rounds like this just rinse well it’s not a problem. 
Thanks Pjj ?

I'm wfp, ok good to know you have a couple on your rounds like this, perhaps I will stick with it cheers

Thank you ?

Aye it's annoying but guess it's just one of these things then..

Thanks Pjj ?

I'm wfp, ok good to know you have a couple on your rounds like this, perhaps I will stick with it cheers
Give it a real good going over several times on the first clean rinse all down then move onto the next window do that then go back to the previous one and do the glass again if there are any  milky patches , we don’t get any problems with the ones we do now although we still get milk coming off the frames each clean a good rinse and the glass is 100% no marks at all 

I hope the lady won’t mind if he scrubs her white windows that hard and turns them shiny silver. Don’t what to scrub the paint off!!

Wouldn’t get galvanic corrosion I doubt. This is caused mainly by two dissimilar metals reacting or a zinc coating breaking down. I don’t think alu windows would be galvanized?

As it's a bungalow why not just get the squeegee out for 1 job?

That is probably easiest. 

I hope the lady won’t mind if he scrubs her white windows that hard and turns them shiny silver. Don’t what to scrub the paint off!!
Maybe if she keeps me on for 50 years ?

I did end up doing the 2nd clean last week, (1st clean was a month ago), did what pjj said with the extra rinse, all seems good ?

For anyone's info btw, on the second clean far, far less white milk came off so might be worth enduring the horrible first clean as it's not so bad now, thanks for advice all ?

For a first wash I think most of us who have done several if not hundreds or more will, I'm fairly sure, go in like a dentists hygienist. We visualise where the dirt, spiders, milkiness and crud of any kind are likely to be hiding and we want to get it out and gone to prevent future problems. We also visualise doing the next wash on the property and making that easier. We visualise moving off to the job after, which may or may not not be close by, and getting a call back because something undesirable has decided to finally make an appearance after we've gone.

The call back, if it comes might be when we're home relaxing. Or the comeback might be when we inform the customer in advance of the second clean. "Sorry, we weren't happy with the first wash so we don't want you to continue." I've had this in the early days, but very rarely now. I realised that the priority must be quality. Dental hygienist mode for the first wash. Similar for the next wash or two. After that we can usually open up the throttle and eat the work. Time the first wash and the first few maintenance washes for interest and for planning records, But maintain a degree of excellence in the quality of work. The speed will come naturally with experience providing we have the right work ethic.

I don't worry about dirt or milkiness on the brush. That has always washed out quickly with or without a flick of the open fingers across the bristles.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a first wash I think most of us who have done several if not hundreds or more will, I'm fairly sure, go in like a dentists hygienist. We visualise where the dirt, spiders, milkiness and crud of any kind are likely to be hiding and we want to get it out and gone to prevent future problems. We also visualise doing the next wash on the property and making that easier. We visualise moving off to the job after which may or may not not be close by, and getting a call back because something undesirable has decided to finally make an appearance after we've gone.

The call back, if it comes might be when we're home relaxing. Or the comeback might be when we inform the customer in advance of the second clean. "Sorry, we weren't happy with the first wash so we don't want you to continue." I've had this in the early days, but very rarely now. I realised that the priority must be quality. Dental hygienist mode for the first wash. Similar for the next wash or two. After that we can usually open up the throttle and eat the work. Time the first wash and the first few maintenance washes for interest and for planning records, But maintain a degree of excellence in the quality of work. The speed will come naturally with experience providing we have the right work ethic.

I don't worry about dirt or milkiness on the brush. That has always washed out quickly with or without a flick of the open fingers across the bristles.
Thanks for awesome post Davy ?

Latest Posts

Back