Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Will this pressure washer do....

WCF

Help Support WCF:

well to be honest I would remove most if not all of the loose mortar on a damaged line as usually it wont do just to patch it, a knife or flat bladed screwdriver will be a useful tool to remove the old (loose) stuff but as I do a lot of paving I generally have a stonecutter handy for any stubborn spots. it always looks nicer if you repair the whole line but if its half blown and the other half is sturdy and definatley not loose then it can just be patched

As Ben says Hypo is not always necessary, I only use it on black lichen which is tough to remove with pressure. Block paving is time consuming, the worst part is dealing with all the sand that comes out. Often I'll wash an area then move somewhere else while it dries a bit so I can clear the sand. Then of course return the next day to re sand with Kiln Dried Sand. I never seal block paving, first reason if after washing there is a chance of fresh efflorescence appearing and it will show through the sealant and looks terrible. Second is you're doing yourself out of work. Some of my customers have their drives washed every year, others every two. If they were sealed it would be 5 or 6!

Oh and if you ever find a way to get oil out let me know.

oil stains being the pig stains to get rid of
On block paving don't even worry about oil, just take the stained bricks out, get a match from your local brickyard and replace them, I have found this method in the past to much quicker.

Another alternative (not ecologically sound) is a dash of petrol and a match and burn it off.

On block paving don't even worry about oil, just take the stained bricks out, get a match from your local brickyard and replace them, I have found this method in the past to much quicker.

Another alternative (not ecologically sound) is a dash of petrol and a match and burn it off.
Can't say I've set fire to a drive before, might have to try that haha. I try to keep and eye out as I'm doing my rounds for people doing renovations and lifting old block paving. It's surprising how many free blocks you can pick up that are in a weathered state to match in with an existing drive.

Another method is to use the new blocks in a different colour and make a pattern or house number to disguise the new blocks /emoticons/smile.png

Don't be scared of block paving it is best to do as u can see great results and people think ur a god for transforming it lol Hypo don't solve all it will take out anything that grows Ie moss Dirt stains etc no gd for paint etc

watch Tarmac drives with the turbo nozzle best of use a angled jet With gd per treatment of hype.

Always know wen to walk away from a job. I went to price driveway last year silly guy spilled gloss white paint everywhere then drove over it again and again then leftist for 2 months then called me I suggested a new drive. He offered me 100 cash to clean it. Lol

As Ben says Hypo is not always necessary, I only use it on black lichen which is tough to remove with pressure. Block paving is time consuming, the worst part is dealing with all the sand that comes out. Often I'll wash an area then move somewhere else while it dries a bit so I can clear the sand. Then of course return the next day to re sand with Kiln Dried Sand. I never seal block paving, first reason if after washing there is a chance of fresh efflorescence appearing and it will show through the sealant and looks terrible. Second is you're doing yourself out of work. Some of my customers have their drives washed every year, others every two. If they were sealed it would be 5 or 6!
Oh and if you ever find a way to get oil out let me know.

Thanks for the info guys - appreciated!

So not heard this term before - what is efflorescence and is this something to be wary of when pw?

Very true, my neighbour had a large area of oil leak on her drive (flags) her car had leaked oil for months, she even used a door mat under the engine bay. I suggested I'll burn it, she looked at me rather strange.

All I did was apply white spirt and strike a match, once burning I continued to apply white sprit, be careful thou' anyway it worked well.. Not a single oil stain in sight ! Other neighbours may look at you strange !!

Thanks for the info guys - appreciated!
So not heard this term before - what is efflorescence and is this something to be wary of when pw?
It's just salt coming out from the brick/concrete and is caused by water reacting with the salt in the brick/concrete. Nothing to worry about and on an untreated driveway and it will disappear with the weather. You'll see it everywhere, have a look on new builds. It looks like a white furry substance on walls etc.

Back