Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Brush advice maybe??

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Skywalker

Hi all,

been cleaning now for just over 3 months and going well, nothing but positive comments but I have a question for you. 

I use the gardiner super lite medium mixed as my maintenance clean brush, all the houses I have cleaned they have had a first clean with Ubik 2000 and they looked great. But I notice sometimes now I’m on the maintenance cleans that after I have finished a window occasionally there are little stubborn marks left behind, is this due the brush?

I’m a very thorough cleaner and rinse very well but need your advice..

Also on my own house after my son had been playing with water balloons in the garden, to remove the hard water stains off the glass took two cleans!! As when the windows dried I could still see the outlines, if not for being my own house I would have gone home and definitely got a call back!!

thanks in advance 

Paul

Not all dirt will come off easily such things as bird poo , bee pollen , snail trails will all need more of a scrub and a thorough examination before and after cleaning you will find that this becomes second nature with practice , these things are always worse in the summer months as they get baked on the glass between visits , winter time with rain and damp they tend to be a bit softer and come off more easily 

I've been WFP for twelve years and had my first call back in ages last week. Three dollops of bee pollen on one window behind a rose bush. Other than that the window was spotless. But it bothered him so I just reassured him I'd be back to remove it and in future I'll pay closer attention to that window due to it's location behind the bush. But like others have said, brushes are a personal preference. I like brushes with natural bristles in the core like Gardiners natural hybrids as I find that they scrub well, but they do require more maintenance as the bristles tend to tangle. I believe Gardiners have released a new brush with a new bristle which is supposed to be as good or better in that they don't tangle, but I haven't tried one yet.

As for snail/slug trails on the ground floor windows, I wet the glass and then use a microfibre* on the glass before following up with the brush and a rinse. Usually makes short work of them.

*Just the little cheap ones you get from superstores, as they are quick to wring out

I've been WFP for twelve years and had my first call back in ages last week. Three dollops of bee pollen on one window behind a rose bush. Other than that the window was spotless. But it bothered him so I just reassured him I'd be back to remove it and in future I'll pay closer attention to that window due to it's location behind the bush. But like others have said, brushes are a personal preference. I like brushes with natural bristles in the core like Gardiners natural hybrids as I find that they scrub well, but they do require more maintenance as the bristles tend to tangle. I believe Gardiners have released a new brush with a new bristle which is supposed to be as good or better in that they don't tangle, but I haven't tried one yet.

As for snail/slug trails on the ground floor windows, I wet the glass and then use a microfibre* on the glass before following up with the brush and a rinse. Usually makes short work of them.

*Just the little cheap ones you get from superstores, as they are quick to wring out
Ok great thanks, I’ll keep my microfibre cloth on me and I think I need to pre inspect the windows a little more thoroughly ?

You noticed it too...how much better a simple microfibre cleans the glass than any brush out there! I am waiting for the day when someone brings out a brush Thats effective a handful of microfibre. I like what reach it have done with the "window weapon" but his stuffs not practical for me.

I've been trying to work out a way to add microfibre to my cleaning, I have a wagtail high flyer and the microfibre pad on it is super aggressive. It would be great if I could add that to the brush via another gooseneck part (like the bronze wool adapter) in a way that's hardly noticeable weight wise. 

The new TaperTec brush is great, highly recommend it.

You noticed it too...how much better a simple microfibre cleans the glass than any brush out there! I am waiting for the day when someone brings out a brush Thats effective a handful of microfibre. I like what reach it have done with the "window weapon" but his stuffs not practical for me.

I've been trying to work out a way to add microfibre to my cleaning, I have a wagtail high flyer and the microfibre pad on it is super aggressive. It would be great if I could add that to the brush via another gooseneck part (like the bronze wool adapter) in a way that's hardly noticeable weight wise. 

Whats this taper tec brush you keep referring too ???

Ah just found it only suitable for 30 degree water temp so unfortunately no good for us . Ime still undecided what are the best brushes , we were using the supream stiff and in my opinion was the best brush in the market with hot water , I believe it may be re introduced very soon , we have tried the super lite stiff and it’s a nice brush but very heavy , the ultimate is ok but the bristles are too short and you cannot get into the recesses around the windows , and due to the short bristles the stock hits the frames all the time   It’s also not suited on gfs cleans for the same reasons , pity as it’s a nice lite brush .  

On occasion when I've had stubborn snail trails on upstairs windows I've wrapped a large microfibre around the brush and tied it to the shaft of the gooseneck with a releasable cable tie. It's a little cumbersome but it's effective.

Maybe try microfibre elastic band on a supersraper. 

I have an old extreme in the shed, I am going to strip the bristles off and put some Velcro on it. I can then use it to put microfibre and bronze wool etc on.

I have a small pouch I carry around with abrasives,tfr and a 4" scraper in. It'll fit nicely in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an old extreme in the shed, I am going to strip the bristles off and put some Velcro on it. I can then use it to put microfibre and bronze wool etc on.

I have a small pouch I carry around with abrasives,tfr and a 4" scraper in. It'll fit nicely in there.

Lol what’s your name Herman h man ???   He will be suing you for  stealing his ideals ???

I made a scrubber out of an old ultimate stock.

these microfibre pads I use for internal cleaning at height and also for wiping down facia, soffits etc when cleaned.

the streamline blue/grey pad is the best out of all the four I also use that on connie roofs works really good on them. 

85C93DD9-22F2-45CA-BADC-509462CC20C9.jpeg

C87F5200-A96C-4FD7-B82A-C5C8F1608B35.jpeg

DD829B61-097F-408C-B49D-8BC1AD46C234.jpeg

I made a scrubber out of an old ultimate stock.

these microfibre pads I use for internal cleaning at height and also for wiping down facia, soffits etc when cleaned.

the streamline blue/grey pad is the best out of all the four I also use that on connie roofs works really good on them. 

View attachment 17476

View attachment 17477

View attachment 17478
Work a treat dont they.

Den mate...did you think that photo through?

Latest Posts

Back