Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

“Cor blimey you’ve earned some money”

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Actually correction didn't say sorry wife not here just gave me a smug look wife not here. Final straw was when I said can't u just write a cheque, No you will have to come back. Arghh

Such a good feeling wen u leave these ones behind

Worst one I under priced was external cladding clean on a sprawling office building. It was for a good customer of mine who's mansion (best word for it really) I do for £180 monthly. I expected it to take 8 shortish days after doing a test strip and timing it so quoted £1500. About £200 for a short day I thought... By day 4 I was starting to realise I'd massively underestimated it. Without going into the frustrating details a long story short it ended up taking 6 weeks! I started late November so missed out on tips from domestic work as didn't finish till January! Told my custys I'd taken some time off! I wish! Freezing cold and soaked head to foot most days! Almost sent me under that one! I stick to my quotes- especially with a customer I didn't want to lose but looking back I'd have been better off quitting it while I'd only lost 4 days and telling them to keep the money.
Bloody heck  :1f622:  , I have made the decision to stop add ons apart form the odd little job for longterm clients and have sacked off large commercial work that requires specific dates and arranged access otherwise I am just sacrificing one lot of work for another and I am much happier doing houses 

Some add ons are hit and miss. I had a small house today that seemed like it wasn’t taking ages and I was kicking myself with what I priced it . £60 including her windows for gutters and full pvc clean . It was a semi detached , It was only front and back and was average green etc on it, was very surprised when I finished and got into the van that it only took me an hour 

I’ve priced a few bigger pvc jobs recently and have overpriced imo and haven’t gotten them, as Adam says I’m also not worried as I’d rather clean windows. Add ons are nice to get paid a lump some there and then just 

That’s cracked me up! Hahahaha
sorry. Hope you can now!

Interesting business promotion ‘Free random window cleans’ .... [emoji848][emoji23]
I’ve been there and done it on more than one occasion. In one area of the city the streets all look the same. I started cleaning my normal row of terraces that are all next to one another, got about 3 or 4 houses down before i started thinking hmmm these windows seem dirtier than normal. Then the penny dropped.
I was on the next street down

Another time had a call to do a first clean. standard street with all semi detached houses. 3 new houses in the middle of the street all with missing house numbers (which offset the normal order of 56, 58, 60 etc. there was 56 A, 58 A, so on & so on. ) Anyway. I decided i’d found the right one, went through the gate to crack on with the back first, realized the customer was in, so i waved through the patio doors as you do with a new customer just to say hi (they said they would be at work so i wasnt expecting them to be home). Ignored me. Big german shepherd sat next to her while shes having her cereal at the table. Waved at her again, made eye contact, still she looks at me as if i’m mad. I said loudly “hellooo, you called me to clean your windows!” No response. Then it dawned on me...”oh my god i’m in the wrong garden, i should be next door” so i’ve effectively just waltzed through this ladies side gate and seriously interrupted her breakfast. Good thing she didn’t set the dog on me. Good job im not in america too. Probably would have been shot [emoji85]
The embarrassment and apology was something i’ll never forget. She didnt seem to care though to be honest... as if it happens to her every day.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Ah man That’s a great story! It’s great looking back & laughing!

Slightly off subject I don’t know why but it Reminds me when I decided to take my poles out briefly to rinse them under the tap while I was filling up my van in the morning, anyway filled up my van, drove 30mins in mostly crawling traffic, backed on to the drive at the first job, opened my back doors, glanced inside, slammed my doors shut, drove back home, and there were my poles stood up by my wall on the drive??

Screwed up once quoted a house via street view £15 easy terraced house 6 miles from my home cleaned the front no problems then had to do back to find you had to drive down the rd houses was built on a hill with steep steps up to it and nowhere to park I thought it you can have the front for free and drove on to other jobs never touched that town again

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

The most under priced job I did was last year window cleaning custy said her sister wanted a quote for fascias, sofitts, exterior guttering, all windows, doors, Conny Roof (minging green), porch with Gutter, massive job semi as well so some of the above to do all down the side of the house involving a climb on to the garage roof. We had a lad helping us part time quoted £170 the lot to give the kid extra cash custy wasn't sure said it was a bit expensive agreed to have it done anyway took me the wife and the lad 4 and a half hours of hard labour to complete gave the lad £40 which left £130 for us should have been £170 just for the roof knocked add ons on the head now just do windows.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most under priced job I did was last year window cleaning custy said her sister wanted a quote for fascias, sofitts, exterior guttering, all windows, doors, Conny Roof (minging green), porch with Gutter, massive job semi as well so some of the above to do all down the side of the house involving a climb on to the garage roof. We had a lad helping us part time quoted £170 the lot to give the kid extra cash custy wasn't sure said it was a bit expensive agreed to have it done anyway took me the wife and the lad 4 and a half hours of hard labour to complete gave the lad £40 which left £130 for us should have been £170 just for the roof knocked add ons on the head now just do windows.

Aye, I don't quote till I see the job and take a pencil and paper with me so I can write it all down. Tell them I will text the quote after I have worked it out. Gives me a paper trail and tells exactly what I have priced for. You price for one bit and they expect you to do the rest for fun because your here anyway.

Latest Posts

Back